Frustrated that I can't get all my streaming devices to show in Naim app

I am not a networking expert, but from previous posts from others more knowledgable than me I thought that the conventional wisdom is that in a domestic network setting it is much preferred to use DHCP, and to avoid static ips. Perhaps Simon in Suffolk could chip in ?

1 Like

If you reset the Orbi by pressing the reset button on the router, does it not then reset your access password to the defaults admin and password when you use Orbilogin on your browser? I think when I needed to reset it it did revert to the defaults but I may be mistaken.

1 Like

Reading throughā€¦ I have seen a fair few people elsewhere have issues with these Orbi products, although I am sure there are those where it is all working.

Yes all the devices need to be in the same network and ideally be using DHCP.

If I read this correctly everything was working fine until multi room was set up?

If so it does look like some issue witha network group management issue potentially (IGMP snooping) on the Orbi product.

Try powercycling the Orbiā€¦ but ultimately you may want to consider returning it and getting your money back and use an alternate wifi solution such as from Ubiquiti, BT etc.

As far as the Ethernet connected devices, ensure these are connected to a switch and then to the router via Ethernetā€¦ if you canā€™t do this consider full wifi connectivity instead. For those devices that canā€™t wifi, then use Ethernet to a switch and then Ethernet back to the switchport on the router.

Thanks Simonā€¦

So you are saying I should NOT assign static IP addresses and use DHCP to allow the network to generate dynamic IPs?

Iā€™m kind of at a loss at what causes this or why it happens. It would be easy enough to blame connecting to 2.4 band or 5Ghz band and the Naim unit is on the other band, etc but I canā€™t understand why some items disappear that are hard-wired into the router. I guess it could have to do with dynamic IP addresses.

I really donā€™t understand much about it. I am not stupid, itā€™s just really irritating to have things disappear and reappear all the time. To be honest this afternoon I went out and bought a new Orbi system that is Wifi 6 (AC6000) to replace my Orbi system from 2017. I am just going to start over with this and try to get things working from scratch.

Unfortunately where I am the only other mesh choices are from Google or Amazon and I prefer not to have either snooping in all of my home networking activity.

Iā€™ll work with this over the weekend and see how it turns out.

@JSQT I think that this is what SIS is suggesting. Unless you know what you are doing and why you are doing so, setting static IP addresses is rarely a good idea. The disappearing that are hard-wired into the router has nothing to do with static vs dynamic IP addresses, I believe. I rather suspect that, as you move around with your mobile devices, these connect to different sub-networks/repeaters and that, in these sub-networks, some devices are, for some reason, not visible. As said above, if you manage to access the web interface of your router, you should be able to immediately see the topology of your network(s) and which device is currently connected and how.

1 Like

Hi, absolutelyā€¦ that way your can be confident your devices will work together correctlyā€¦ ie you donā€™t need to think about itā€¦ which is why itā€™s typically default.

As far as ā€˜disappearingā€™, of course on the network they may or may not have disappearedā€¦ I suspect they havenā€™t really, itā€™s just they have with respect to the network protocols used by the applicationsā€¦ such as IGMP are being interfered with by your home network devices.

One tool you can use on iOS, which I think is free, is call Net Analyzer.
It sounds more difficult than it is, it is intended for users with limited technical knowledge, so donā€™t be intimidated by its title.
Get it to scan your network subnet. See if that can see your devicesā€¦ (the tool will also show if SSDP is being interfered with). If you can see your devices you know things like dhcp are working correctly, but if still disappeared by the Naim app, then it looks like the SSDP (discovery protocol) is being interfered with by your network devicesā€¦ if that is the case you might want to think about replacing your wifi and switches to something more performant and interoperates better.

Here is an example snap shot of Net Analyzer on my network

As run on my wifi enabled iPad.
Here you can see my NDX2 streamer, and there is U shown which means it is providing UPnP services and there is B shown which mean Bonjour discovery is working, so Apple Airplay and AirPrint will work. (It also shows that Naim still only support legacy ipv4ā€¦ ie there is no 6 by itā€¦ but that is not relevant hereā€¦ but ipv6 is soooo much easier with this sort of thing)

Also it shows my wifi connected EPSON printer showing my wifi access point is also supporting UPnP discovery and Bonjourā€¦ ie my printer is always visible and reachable to all my familyā€™s devices.

1 Like

Are your satellites in ā€œdaisy chainingā€ mode? I had some issues until I switched this off, which allowed my satellites to both feed off the main Orbi router, rather than Router to satellite to satellite. Obviously, if you house is long and thin, daisychaining will work better, but in most houses a triangulation would usually work better, although I am generalising here.

1 Like

Agree, I also switched this off. I did enable beam forming and mu-mimo in the advanced wireless settings and has worked fine for me.

1 Like

Thanks @Simon-in-Suffolk this is great infoā€¦ I downloaded Net Analyzer on my iPhone and my LAN devices definitely donā€™t look as robust as yours do.

To begin, I opened the Naim app and my normally robust Mu-so Office (the Muso 2 in my office) has disappeared - even though it is currently playing internet radio in the same room as I am typing this:

Then I downloaded Net Analyzer and I donā€™t see any of the tiny icons next to any devices.

Here you can see the only icon I see next to any of my devices is the ā€œPā€ whatever that stands for. And I can see the ā€œdisappearedā€ Mu-so but there is no ā€œPā€ under it, which I assume is why it has disappeared from the Naim app? What does the ā€œPā€ stand for and how do I get one for my Mu-so?

Finally here is the iPhone that the Naim app is on - I see ā€œSā€, ā€œ6ā€, and ā€œPā€ next to itā€¦ my NDX-2 has a ā€œPā€ but nothing else (it is not operating in UPnP mode, only as a streamer from my Zen Roon Core). The Epson has a ā€œ6ā€ next to it but no ā€œPā€ - although I can print from my Mac mini or MacBookā€¦

It looks like I have quite a bit of work to do in order to get things into shape, based on a comparison of my devices versus your screen shot!

Hmm this could explain your issuesā€¦ I would ditch your wifi product and get something more robust. All your multicast IP data appears blocked by your home network devices and only allowing unicastā€¦ that is BADā€¦ and many things including Naim canā€™t work properlyā€¦ one half of your network is being blocked.

The P simply means that the device supports an ICMP probe, known as a Ping for diagnostic purposesā€¦ many consumer devices do support this.

That is not good to hear LOL.

I have the new Orbi WiFi 6 (AX6000) system which I am going to install today. I believe it is significantly more robust than the current Orbi system I have which was purchased in 2017.

Once I get things up and running I will investigate via Net Analyzer again.

Do you know why something like my Mu-So would lose its ability to be pinged (the lack of ā€œPā€?).

All your multicast IP data appears blocked by your home network devices and only allowing unicastā€¦ that is BADā€¦ and many things including Naim canā€™t work.

I have no idea what this means but it definitely sounds badā€¦ is there any way to fix it besides all-new wifi network?

Not really, for that to occur your wifi / switch must be blocking the ICMP ping requestā€¦
I am afraid your home network looks broken for whatever reason ā€¦ not much can work on it in that stateā€¦

Sorry it simply means it is very badā€¦ hence I put in capitals for emphasis :grinning:
Your network uses two types of dataā€¦ unicast and multicastā€¦ unicast has ip addresses set by DHCP etc and you can control, like 192.168.1.1. Multicast use ip addresses starting 224.0.0.0 to 239.255.255.255 You donā€™t control them they are used by multiple devices, or a group of devices sharing an address or application. UPnP and Airplay for example use multicast, as well as unicast.

1 Like

OK well thank you for the information and your helpā€¦ Iā€™m going back to the drawing board with the new system then and hoping it does better.

Let us know how you get onā€¦ hopefully your new network product works betterā€¦ at least you know what to look for now :grinning:
But make sure you can get your money back if you need to returnā€¦

Edit I have looked at the new Orbi wifi product you mentionā€¦ it says it can only support 1 to 100 devicesā€¦ this sounds ominousā€¦ why this limitā€¦ this is a restrictive limit on a home networkā€¦ and what if the device has more than one IP address like Naim, AppleTV, many printers useā€¦ hopefully this just marketing figure of speechā€¦ so do let us knowā€¦

1 Like

Will do, I will continue to investigate before I crack open the box.

I did see this on the Netgear support site - I assume ā€œclientsā€ means devices:

Your Orbi Pro WiFi 6 Mesh System can simultaneously support up to 256 clients and allows 60 concurrent client users per unit.

So at least it looks like 256 devices is much better than 100. According to Net Analyzer it found 39 devices on my LAN.

Yes device and client are synonymousā€¦
see if you can see things like support of Bonjour, UPnP services, multicast, IGMP snoopingā€¦ if yes then this looks more encouraging.

1 Like

Bless you Simon for all the help/advice and your time you give to this fine forum.
I do wonder, with all the variables of home networking that your good self & Naim could provide an FAQ for us mere mortals to help us forge a better musical Naim journey. Obviously, commission basedā€¦ehā€¦as many DHCP & IP addresses as you would like :joy:

Dustyā€¦ thanksā€¦ I seem to remember Phil Harris once produced some network and streaming FAQsā€¦ I was invited to review the draftsā€¦ but I donā€™t think they have seen the light of dayā€¦

I think the underlying message is keep it simpleā€¦ I recommend using your ISP wifi router, these days they are usually pretty capable and optimised devicesā€¦ and take it from thereā€¦ apart from a spate of issues with the Virgin router, most problems seem to appear to be when users use third party products ā€¦

2 Likes

I definitely appreciate all the help and adviceā€¦ although I am now regretting setting up a new network as I cannot get my Qb to set up at all anymore (the dreaded AirPlay Setup ā€œunexepected errorā€ loop). I donā€™t think itā€™s the Orbi. I think itā€™s just a combination of all of these different factors. Unfortunately I need a mesh network in my 3 story house, and require a satellite to attach my Innuos to, but this is just more trouble than its worth. The wired Mu-soā€™s and NDX 2 seem to be working fine but I am about ready to stuff the Qb in the closet. Anyway itā€™s been a fun weekend project.

Hey, look at this! Everything shows up and hasnā€™t disappeared! I returned the Orbi system and went with a Linksys AX5300 insteadā€¦ only took about 15-20 min to get everything up and running and no hiccups with getting the Mu-Sos connected in the app and in Roon. Thank you so much for all your help @Simon-in-Suffolk I think I am finally out of the woods!

2 Likes