Full range Loudspeakers

I know the OP was asking about full range drivers - it was clarified by 4th post. My original response was to someone who asserted that all speakers are considered full range - then oddly answered my query by declaring that I knew what he meant!

1 Like

Oh right ā€¦ I remember that post now.

Hi @david1111 . Yes I was, my mistake.

1 Like

I have yet to actually hear a full-range driver myself, but I have talked with people who have, and they were blown away. Iā€™d love to hear some.

Hi @david1111
I have not either and I was considering the Full-range unit: Jordan Eikona 2
Enclosure type: Reflex front ported
Frequency response: 50Hz - 20000Hz
Sensitivity (2.83v/1m): 86dB
Amp requirement:: 30-100w
Impedance: 8 ohm
Internal volume: 7.8 litres per speaker
Weight:: 12Kg per pair
Dimensions (HxWxD): 276mm x 206mm x 226mm

Along with the LS3/5 and Neat Iota as speakers on my desk powered by an Atom.
I think it will just be a case of sticking a pin in a piece of paper to pick which one.

Hi Roger. Yes, they always seem to have great specs, and apparently the lack of a crossover is a real bonus. I had an opportunity last year to purchase a pair from an acquaintance, but there was no chance to listen first, so I didnā€™t give it much thought. I canā€™t even remember the name of them, but Iā€™ll ask him next time we speak.
If I had have been more informed on full-range drivers at the time, I would have paid more attention. I did some research afterwards, and am much more interested now.
Nice group of speakers you have there.

Iā€™ve often looked at these and wondered how they would sound with naim, electricbeach Frugel3 Loudspeaker, Iā€™ve never made the plunge yet though
Obviously they would only suit certain music genres I think heavy rock would be out off the question
Maybe one day

1 Like

Hi @david1111

I have the big brother of the LS3/5, the LS5/9, in my main Naim system in the lounge, so I am used to what they can do.
To choose one of the others will be a leap of faith, as they say ā€œfirst thought is best thoughtā€ though.
I just need to do more research into which one is the least ā€œbrightā€ due to all the hard surfaces in my office. I will not be looking to put in any soft furnishings or the like to give the room any sound treatment.

2 Likes

Hi @ARCHIE67

I still have some heavy metal/hard rock rips on my NAS but I must admit I cannot remember the last time I played any.
In my advancing years I seem to have settled into acoustic, jazz, blues, vocal, light classics, Opera and R2 and Classic FM and R3.

2 Likes

LS5/9?

Hi @AndyR Yes indeed LS5/9, whoops fat fingers.

The SEAS Exotic F8 looks interesting as a basis for a Naim friendly single driver speaker. Happy in a sealed cabinet, not too sensitive and available ad 8 or 4Ī©. There one US outfit (Fern and Roby) using it in a couple of speakers, one ported, one sealed, though aimed more at the valve lads and SEAS have a cabinet plan available for a sealed cabinet. TNT Audio have a review of a build based on the SEAS plans but they found it necessary to add a couple of passive components to tame the rising treble.
Something using wall reinforcement like Naim used to do might be interesting.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.