Fundamentals of Naim 2: DR vs non-DR?

I’m slightly fuzzy on the DR vs non-DR topic when it comes to upgraded power supplies. Specifically, I was wondering: if you were to use a NAPSC to power the pre, is there any benefit to having a DR amp??

But more generally, I was reading the DR section on the website below and it seems to indicate that there are amp benefits as well…

DR Power Amplifiers | Naim Audio

Is there any way to explain this to someone as if they were five years old?? :grinning:

I’ll let others explain the whole DR part (I can’t …), but the NAPSC just powers the logical/digital circuits for input switching, so is different from the larger power supplies like the HiCap, which power the preamp as such.

1 Like

The DR in power supplies for streamers (or other sources) benefits the streamer.

The DR in dedicated power supplies for preamps benefits the preamp.

In power amps there is one complication.

• In most power amps (NAP 250, 300, 500), the DR benefits the power amp itself
  • However, the NAP 200 is the only power amp that can optionally power a preamp (instead of having a dedicated power supply for the preamp). This works with the NAC 202 or NAC 282. In this case, the DR in the NAP 200 benefits the power supply for the preamp, and not the NAP 200 itself.

(With the NAC 202, the NAPSC is optional but very recommended. With the NAC 282, the NAPSC is required. In either case, it powers only the digital input switching and lights, so an additional power supply is necessary - either a dedicated one or from the NAP 200. The NAC 252 and 552 don’t need a NAPSC)

5 Likes

DR = Discrete Regulator. So a Regulator using discrete components, rather than IC’s.

DR is applied only to Regulated Power Supplies (AFAIK). Which (generally) power a Pre Amp. The HiCap DR is an example of a Power Supply for a Pre Amp.

The NAP200 is the oddity, in being a Power Amp with a built in Pre-amp power supply, which can be DR’ed. (The same trick could be applied to ‘lower’ power amps but isn’t.)

The NAP250 and above power amps are Regulated Amps and so have Regulated Power Supplies, which can be DR’ed.

Any use…?

1 Like

Interesting.

Fundamentals of Naim 1, was largely concerned with ridiculing a dealer who thinks digital and analogue should be kept apart.

Yet many forum members are quite happy suggesting buying an extra box to keep the power supply for analogue and digital apart.

:thinking:

There is no question that interference can exist. My main contention was with “you never want analog and digital in one box” as an absolute statement. There are tradeoffs to every decision, and just because a SuperUniti has them in one box doesn’t make it automatically a worse choice than another model that uses different trade-offs. If the unqualified statement was true, NDX2 and ND555 would be non-starters, as would of course be all Unitis and the 272. Yet many people are happy with those, so “why would you ever want it in one box” cannot be unqualified true.

My other contention was that using the “noise” incantation without a deeper understanding of the actual technical issues is like a cargo cult. Noise interference has real consequences in some contexts but not in others

1 Like

Well Said.

Let me see if I understand this correctly…

1. Discrete Regulator = lower noise for anything that requires power (amp, streamer, preamp) = a good thing.

2. The NAP200 DR is able to lower the noise for both the preamp power section, and the amp itself.

3. NAP250s and above have DR to lower noise in the amp section.

4. Preamps like the NAC282, which use the NAPSC to power the digital section use a SuperCap or equivalent to power the analogue section - that SuperCap also has DR technology built in.

Alles Klar. Danke.

In case 2) the 200 uses the DR only for the preamp power supply, not for itself

2 Likes

:+1:

Plus the DR is not only about the lower noise floor. That’s just an one effect.

@Maury_Finkle

The Non DR is Great
DR is exceptional in simple terms from my experience - loved my 300 Non DR AMP, when it came back from Mothership it had more of everything I loved about the 300

1 Like

I can do 9 years old … five’s a stretch …

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.