Funeral Music

J.S. Bach Actus Tragicus BWV 106

My brother had Deep Purple Black Night played at his funeral. Me I am more of a Sandy Denny Who Knows fan

Perfect Circle by R.E.M.

Elvisā€™ Return To Sender notwithstanding, Iā€™m going with Freeā€™s Travelling in Style, followed by, as everyone departs, Iā€™m The Urban Spaceman. Hereā€™s the twistā€¦

1 Like

ā€œSubterraneansā€ - David Bowie

ā€œFuture Daysā€ - Can

ā€œMaggot Deathā€ - Throbbing Gristle

ā€œHole In The Groundā€ - Bernard Cribbins (the ultimate British working class anti-athoritarian song - Selmayr, Verhofstadt and Juncker would hate it)

ā€œThis Bloke Came Up To Meā€ - Derek & Clive

1 Like

Hurt - Johnny Cash
Sound of Silence - The Disturbed
Who Wants to Live Forever - Queen
Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
Hey, Hey, My, My - Neil Young

ā€¦ or I could be talking rubbish!

The entry music for my sonā€™s funeral -
Nobody Knows The Trouble Iā€™ve Seen, from the album Antiphone Blues

Not music, but I stumbled across this today, by a convicted killer on death row, his last wordsā€¦

ā€œWhen I die, bury me deep, lay two speakers at my feet, put some headphones on my head and rock and roll me when Iā€™m dead.ā€ā€” Douglas Roberts, convicted of kidnapping, robbery, and murder and executed by lethal injection in 2005.

My wife, friends and family know that only one song must be played at my funeral: Clash - Should I Stay Or Should I Go

Difficult choice I probably change my mind every other week, Karl Blau- No Regets is this weeks. Next week who knows. Thereā€™s a part me that would want something that would take them out of their comfort zone.

Pete Seeger had been married to his wife for 52 years until she died. He asked Natalie Merchant to sing her composition ā€œ beloved wifeā€ which was quite touching.

Are You Going With Me, Pat Metheny. I can hear the family complaining, ā€œmore flippin Pat Metheny even when heā€™s dead!ā€ Theyā€™ll probably stick all 39 albums in the coffin with me!

For a long while Silver Machine by Hawkwind was top of my list, but being in the midst of organising a family funeral itā€™s become v clear that solid old traditional hymns rather than a smart-alec chin-stroker is the only way to go, ergo:

Abide With Me
The Old Rugged Cross
Psalm 23.

Thatā€™s been good enough for a few million over the last couple of hundred years, itā€™ll be good enough for me, and my old boy bless him.

Happy for my wife to choose, I have a feeling that I wonā€™t be able to hear it.

It will probably end up being something by Celine Dion or the Carpenters, either I can live with this, or rather die with it.

ā€˜Can You Hear Me Knocking?ā€™

G

3 Likes

The Banks of the Green Willow by George Butterworth

ANY music for the average person attending a funeral after 3 minutes would want to get to the pub ASAP. The sound system might be a bit basic as well.
Elgarā€™s Nimrod, thatā€™s about it.

1 Like

This they may play at mine:Goodbye Pork Pie Hat

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.