Funeral Songs

Same here i do not want a big funeral.
Only a monument.

1 Like

johnny Cash 25 minutes to go.

Dad passed away last year. And his outro for the cremation was Light My Fire. Left the whole congregation smiling at the end :grinning:

5 Likes

Return to Sender by Elvis?

3 Likes

Goodness me, the list could be endless and different each day! For today, I’ll start the nominations with two bankers:

• Bob Marley - Crisis
  • Van Morrison - Listen to the Lion

Peter

Ah but which version…The Doors, or Brian Auger & The Trinity (with the wonderful Julie Driscoll)?

edit: a thought, could I ask for both when it’s my time….

1 Like

Nick Cave - Man in the Moon. Alone at the Alexandra Palace - not the Grinderman version.

1 Like

Need I say more?

2 Likes

I started to think about this recently along with updating wills and making sure paperwork and account info etc was easily available for Mrs Bruss if suddenly needed.
My funeral music is the most difficult, the MY funeral being the difficulty. Do I impose my musical tastes on the grieving, do I leave a message of either hope or regret and explanation for my offspring. So many of Leonard Cohen, Joni, Nilsson or LoudunW. Your mother and I, Father and son (Cat Yusuf), Still the same (BobS).
Probably stay safe, going in perhaps the old Radio 4 theme and leaving The Lark Ascending. As I go through the curtains I’d like a reading of Kipling’s If or perhaps Chumbawumba and Tubthumping🤣

1 Like

The Doors ….

1 Like

Bit of an eclectic mix for me: I love Closer to Believing by Greg Lake or Comfortably Numb by the Floyd for end music, but something from the Durufle Requiem or a gorgeous organ piece, Le Jardin Suspendu by Jehan Alain, would also be high on the list.

Hymns:
Eternal Father (Naval Hymn)
Dear Lord & Father (sang at our wedding)
Thine be the glory (schooldays)

Maybe:
One of Gibbons’ hymn tunes - Drop, Drop slow tears? Song 13?

Other:
Kyrie (or any movement, tbh) from Victoria’s Requiem
In Paradisum from Faure’s Requiem

After singing in choirs for decades, and with two singing daughters, I hope a big-ass choir can be cobbled together to do it ‘properly’.

Mark

3 Likes

Mark since you know a bit about church music, a suggestion of an organ piece above. It takes reading the notes to see what’s going on there.

2 Likes

Ooh, good shout. BWV 562, I think. It’s definitely got the right feel of ‘you’re not here to enjoy yourselves’ that I’m unofficially aiming for at my funeral. None of this ‘wear odd socks and a fluorescent bow tie, everyone has to be happy’ nonsense for me, thank you. A funeral’s a funeral.

Mark

5 Likes

Great choice!

1 Like

That’s correctly identified. I’ve it somewhere on the schedule for an evensong in Lent.

It’s one of those pieces which show the greatness of Johann Sebastian’s mind. When listening it does not immediately become apparent, but in the before last stave the bass is stepping down in crossed figures until it finds its final rest in the lowest tone of the organ. That’s just one aspect, but there is a lot more in this piece. Incredible.

3 Likes

‘When Im Old And Wise’ Alan Parsons,‘The Right Moment’ Gerry Rafferty

1 Like

I’d be fairly happy with a reprise of the Intro and Outro that we chose for my Father’s farewell.

(These things had not been discussed beforehand.)

We carried the coffin in to a loud and particularly raucous “Bye ’n’ bye” by Louis Armstrong (a version without the band introductions included). Aside from being a lifelong devotee of Swing, New Orleans and Chicago jazz, and something of a fan of Armstrong (Mum and Dad arranged/delayed their honeymoon to enable seeing him play live), Dad was always amused by the New Orleans-style street funeral scene in one of the James Bond films, so I think he’d have approved.

Reflective piece in the middle was “Flowers of the Field” (though I’d prefer something by Duncan Chisholm - maybe “A Perfect Place”).

Outro was “Bye bye Blackbird” by Etta Jones (not James); that was only song I could recall Dad singing to us when we were kids. I’m still not sure what it’s about, but he sang it as a lullaby.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.