G3 vs G4 mains block

Hi Folks.
It seems that there has been very little chatter here re the new G4 mains block, although I was recently told by my dealer @signals visting Friday before last, that they are somewhat selling at a steady pace. In fact as always literally flying out of the door bit like S1s! :joy:
I know there are some Forumite adapters such as Gazza ( using the word ‘better than the G3’), Graham ( talking about no boom hopefully nothing like what happened in Munich earlier today) and Cohen has got one. Andy @Signals described it as ‘ better bass and sweeter top end’. I’m perplexed quite frankly…… :thinking:
As I’ve got a G4 test sample arriving tomorrow, is their anyone out there, who have actually done a like for like comparison between The sparkly bottom G3 and the G4 and are able to put the difference into words please? Best Peter

1 Like

I guess I am just supposed to “know” who makes this… :expressionless:

Musicworks Ian, or did I just miss something ? :thinking: ATB Peter

You didn’t. I simply did not “know”… Thank you.

The (new) Musicworks G4 Mains Block.

1 Like

Hope it goes well……one of the downsides is of course you need to turn the hifi off that is plugged into the G3……then decide when to listen again after turning back on. I am not good at describing changes, but Andy’s is a fair description.

1 Like

There is also the thorny subject of plugging in order into the G4, and whether you plug your power amp into the G4 or plug it into its own separate wall socket, assuming you have one spare.

I am a G3 owner with a sparkly bottom (the G3, not me you understand), but no experience of the G4.

2 Likes

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Thank you Gazza, would you say tighter bass and/or not more of it as such?
I had my dear wife with me at the Trimley visit and never actually picked the courage up to grab one there and then. I was trying to imagine Alistair dropping a little something in your wife’s coffee allowing the usual brace of boxes being carried over to your car. Unfortunately my wife politely abstained from the gentle folk’s offers of a nice hot cup of tea……DAMN! :roll_eyes:
All good, I know our little routine and persistent mentioning of said box in the end won her over to go: “ Now if you really want one, why don’t you phone them and see if they’ve got one for you to try?”, but I also wonder if there is a deeply manifested craving for a change of subject at that point? :sweat_smile: ATB Peter

Hi Nigel, it seems I actually have a good supply to the box itself ( I’m not allowed to mention anything here), but I have no dedicated mains wall sockets. I’m plugging in like this: Socket1 500- gap- S1- Analogue PS- gap- Digital PS. Best Peter

1 Like

Yes tighter bass….not more bass, and just sounds a little more natural overall. At the moment i have a Melco server on demo after a few Xmas hints from wife😁 Not sure wether you intend to trade in……but it was a good deal at the time.

1 Like

Good point !
If the S1 is plugged in the G3, it will take 10 days for it to come on song.
So the comparison seems impossible.

Hi FR, I will do the change over in under 30 seconds, which only affects everything very marginally from experience with our brief power cuts from time to time. Oh, the joy of living in the country side :crazy_face: Best Peter

3 Likes

Hi Peter, I have the G3 and had a G4 on demo from Signals a few months ago. I was expecting an improvement overall and when it arrived I plugged it in and started listening. I was really disappointed by the sound, quite frankly it was awful, very constrained, tight and closed. I spoke to Alistair and Andy and subsequently returned it and kept the G3. I was later advised that the G4 unit I demoed was faulty and returned to the manufacturer. I have not had a further demo and kept the G3. Maybe will try again when circumstances permit.

Hi AW, yes Alistair did relay the story of ‘the dodgy batch’ to me, but apparently now fully rectified- believe it was human error at Musicwoorks and not a design fault.
I received mine this morning and due to my easy access to the block, it took me bang on 30 seconds to swap over. Will now leave everything to warm back up, good thing is that I have no expectation really. Should it turn out not to flourish in my system, I won’t be disappointed tbh. Let’s see…… :thinking: ATB Peter

5 Likes

Thanks Peter, I would be interested to hear your views once you have had the opportunity to have a good listen. Regards AW

1 Like

Sorry Peter, meant to ask, how did you find the improvement going from one to two power supplies on CD555?

1 Like

Hi AW, for sure I’ve always been an advocate of using a second supply on the mighty CDP555, and in fairness having always done so since I bought it new. I have had a chance to listen to it with only one, when I sent my 555PSs off for DRing one at the time. This reiterated just how mighty it is with two tbh. It holds an increase in resolution, bit like what the G4 achieves, but I’ll come to that :hugs:
There was a thread about the 555 CDP recently, which you should be able to find in the Search-function here.
In my view there simply is nothing negative to report with two, and here I am trying not to use the phrase ‘ It’s a no-brainer’! :wink: Enjoy Peter

2 Likes

Thanks Peter

The group of us, which have been on the journey with the Musicworks various mains blocks since the Flexlite, will remember how much of a head scratching experience it was going to the G3 box and subsequent sparkly bottom.
This time the G4 is made entirely from Peek composite and seems to have retained its internal wiring lay out for optimum earthing. Everybody will clearly have to try this in their own system, and I can only report what it achieves in my own system and room. The amount of increased resolution it manages to extract due to less noisy mains delivery ( I suspect ) is way beyond, what I was expecting tbh.
Beyond taking a slightly ‘forced’ and at times unpleasant edge away in the upper frequencies, it resolves (well the system clearly) the entire frequency range in a more analogue and believable fashion, this referring to Gazza’s equal observation about it sounding more natural :+1:t3:.
Deep bass notes are better in the sense that start and particularly stop has improved along side overall resolution. From piano keys, guitar riffs, difficult polyrhythms being easier to follow alongside vocals sounding more right and again believable, you simply just want to crank the volume up. Best of all it has increased the involuntary foot tapping ability of my system. To go with what NigelB would say; ‘ Everything simply sounds damn right! :partying_face:
Considering the minor layout for this incl. trade in of my existing G3 box and in the context of my system overall, I will state Christmas came early this year. A great achievement on behalf of Musicworks and something I intend to let them know. In a musicality context it is also a bigger upgrade than going from Reflexlite to the G3 in my humble view…… and there was me thinking, that I had stopped! :crazy_face: Try it Folks Peter

3 Likes

What was the upgrade cost from sparkly-bottomed G3 to G4? (If you don’t mind me asking.)

1 Like