Gains and losses - move to garden room

I have had my garden office reconfigured post retirement. I have a 500 system in the house and Titan 808s. Although the garden room is smaller than the space in the house I suspect the comparative lack of furniture in the garden room may compensate for the loss of space (garden room is about 15 x 12, as opposed to about 22 x 14. The garden room has the TV and being able to hook it up to the NAIM kit is a big plus. I spend a lot of time in the garden room.The downside is that there is no room for the Fraim in the garden room and the kit (ND555 with 2 555 power supplies, 552 and NAP500 so 6 boxes in all) will have to be accommodated in a unit created for the 55” TV. The only viable option would be to stack the power supplies, 2 on top of each other and the ND555 and 552 will fit on separate shelves. I know the likely answer is “try it out and make your won mind up” but if I am going to go down the route of changing over I am likely to decide to pay a professional to install the kit. The other upside is at present I am using Dynaudio XD Focus 30s in the garden office. They are very good and the lack of boxes and wires goes down very well with my long-suffering wife - she’s quite keen on the idea! Your thoughts would be very welcome.

Cramming a 500 series system onto a TV shelf that doesn’t have enough shelves sounds like a big compromise to me. Perhaps a putting the source and preamp on a single rack and running active speakers would be a neater solution. Maybe ATCs?

Please tell me your garden office is very secure and alarmed?

1 Like

Thank you both. The more I think about it, the more it is a non-starter. The security aspect is, perhaps, not the least of the problems. Insurance does cover it - I checked - but that’s not really the point.

What’s a garden room? Does it have a solid wall to mount the telly on leaving enough room below for two Fraim stacks?

1 Like

I’d stay with geraniums!

Think you might have already lost a box, as shouldn’t it be 7 boxes not 6 lol

Duh! Yes, 7

We built a garden room last year. The only thing I felt safe to put in it was a QB.

Can i ask, who your insurance is with, as my insurer would not insure it, should it get nicked from the garden room.

Natwest

Thanks

Get rid of everything. Just sell it. Then buy a Bentley outfitted with Naim. You can go out and sit in the car listen to your heart’s content.

Apart from all the above a sparse room can be really bad for sound I once spent a whole day moving my system into our dining/back room and the lack of furniture, rugs, curtains etc made it sound awful.

Already got one … just kidding!

Aviva cover other building contents up to ÂŁ5k.

Thanks - unfortunately I have a 500/ 552 and that causes an issue

Aggh i see. I would call an insurance broker and tell them exactly what you are looking for. They can offer bespoke insurance.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.