Game console graphics, getting more and more impressive

Nah… Revenge of the Mutant Camels was the one to beat… that Jeff Minter was nutz. :grinning:

2 Likes

I’m sure you’re correct that the graphics have improved no end since the early days, but I’m having much fun with the recently downloaded original versions of both Doom and Quake.

First played these to alleviate the boredom of offshore working out in The Gulf, and the nostalgia has kicked in straight away over the last few weeks.

Crude graphics, but an absolute hoot to play.

2 Likes

I agree… graphics are not the be all and end all… hence my comment about a Revenge of the Mutant Camels… it was a Commodore 64 game from the 80s and looks and sounds positively limited now… but was still great fun.

1 Like

I was a ZX Speccy boy, but playing this on a friend’s C64 was great fun.
Gameplay came first for all those 8 bit machines.
Bugger shouldn’t have replied, I’ve got the Manic Miner tne going round in my head now!

Modern graphics are astounding. I remember getting out of the opening dungeon in Ovlivion and just stopping with my jaw open and that’s old hat now.

1 Like

Watched that Horizon programme through this afternoon with the kids, nostalgia for me, educational for them - it really was a great programme back then.

It may look old fashioned but there’s a wealth of historical content there, from the designer of ‘pong’ who could not get any backers, through vector/raster graphics, 3d modelling, simulation, animation - they even pose the question if computer movies could ever replace hand drawn ones.

Would really recommend it.

1 Like

It was Elite for me that was the most addictive… again on the C64. I remember one summer holidays by brothers and I worked shifts to get us upto ELITE status… a great achievement… trading narcotics and becoming an outlaw helped :grinning:

There is a new version of Elite out now … but it’s not the same… or perhaps I have grown up :confused:

1 Like

The old games were simply very addictive and increasingly frustratingly difficult despite very simple game play to begin with.

Ah Elite!
Spent sooooo much time playing that. Used to come down for breakfast, start the tape loading. Game was ready by the time I’d eaten (7 minutes to loa a 48k game).

Privateer 2: The Darkening was a worthy succesor on the PC.

1 Like

Elite was groundbreaking on the BBC Micro - first BBC game to use interrupts to mix graphics modes with the spaceships/viewport in a higher res monochrome mode and the lower part of the screen switched to a different screen mode by the interrupts to enable more colours in lower resolution.

Nostalgia at your fingertips:

https://bbc.godbolt.org

Click the Disc dropdown, choose the 2nd option and then click Elite:

Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 21.48.39

Next do a soft reset under ‘Reset’ while holding down shift and it should run.

Click no to load new commander.

Just need to figure out the keys (see graphic above) Fn f10 to launch on Mac!

I played with some emulators a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed myself. Still got the original tapes in the attic to look up controls with. Me, a hoarder?
No speccy though, that died and was binned :cry:

1 Like

Yes, loads of good emulators out there for various machines - I find that one incredible as it’s supposedly written in Javascript.

If you had It still you might find it hard to find a TV with a UHF analogue tuner now.
I think I might have my Spectrum somewhere in the loft still… I actually used it to drive via the Speccy bus interface an 8 bit sampler and DAC replay I built with a buddy in the mid 80s … it had a whole second of sample space… and the foam keyboard was used like a piano keyboard… we were impressed… and samplers were all rather new and very expensive at the time so this was a coup. I remember the anti aliasing and output low pass filter was very crude … but worked, and we recorded a few tracks which I still have on a C60 somewhere.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.