Gardening

Rather late to grow some of those this summer. Garlic is normally started very early in the year, or even in the preceding autumn. Onions, from sets, and potatoes are normally planted in April, but might be ok if you get them in soon. The RHS website has a lot of useful advice on growing vegetables. Good luck!

There’s so much going on in there, you may as well plant a clematis empress to go with them. Just bought this today. Photos (especially mob phones) never do plants justice.

6 Likes

White is very nice. I’ve seen white wisteria with 2ft racemes and it it looked stunning.

I’ve just bought a pink one, rosea hon-beni. Not mine, but gives you an idea….

10 Likes

That is stunning

Atb
Kk

1 Like

5 Likes

8 Likes

Bought a single marimo in a jar. Ended up getting an led set-up, timer, dragon stone, aquarium sand and another 2 marimo, as it had no one to communicate with. Gives a nice glow on the mantlepiece every evening and fascinating little things. The dragon stone idea was to look like a mountain in the sea, with the tip poking out, like in real life.

3 Likes

Cute. Not encountered those before. Green tribbles :wink:

A search threw up a video with concern (in the US anyway) that they may harbour microscopic zebra mussels considered an invasive species.

Suspect you may have seen this, presumably you need to not directly replace water by pouring it down the drain?

1 Like

No I haven’t read about that. TBH, I’ve researched how to look after them, played with the light intensity and time, and the water mix for the past 3 weeks and watched. They’ve already responded very good indeed, but I haven’t looked into much else yet. I’ll look at what you’ve just said.

1 Like

Zebra mussels are already in the UK, I think the problem is that the larvae are so tiny you may not be aware of them unless they have months to grow in the water.

May not be a problem outside the US, I don’t know, and unsure why the link below stipulates either quarantining or disposing of ones purchased after Feb 2021. If I had some I’m sure I’d opt for quarantine/observation for 6 months which would surely be achievable by just disposing of the tank water responsibly.

This was from a US Fish and Wildlife Service advisory, it comments on disposal but the linked PDF describes the quarantine period/methods:

https://www.fws.gov/media/zebra-mussel-disposal-instructions#:~:text=Bleach%20%2F%20Vinegar%20-%20Submerge%20the%20moss,white%20vinegar%20for%2020%20minutes

Maybe a specific source in the US got contaminated.

I was amazed to see they could live for over a century and have been passed down as family heir looms.

I can never remeber if you’re in the UK or not, just found this if so which seems to suggest it’s more a case of being vigilant.

1 Like

My front fence is a riot of columbine (and the occasional foxglove and a proper thistle)

As it’s outside the boundary the council will cut it , and there is nothing I can say or do about it

I have a rough patch at the back , so I will try and transplant the thistle . They are magnificent when they reach four feet to five with blue flowers (ideal for pollinators)

5 Likes

Wildflowers on the Green benefitting from No Mow May.

7 Likes

Columbine yesterday, (it’s a camera I am unfamiliar with so the photos will improve )

2 Likes

Side garden patio jet washed :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Runner beans planted today; some from plugs others from seed. It’s a new location; it was my garlic patch but now it needs protection from marauding hens. It will only get afternoon sun, which is not ideal.

4 Likes

Due to a lack of rain for the past two years I’ve gone for dwarf French beans this year as I’ve found runners unreliable. Nothing one minute and too many the next whereas the dwarf seemed more consistent.
Unfortunately nowadays rain fall in East Anglia is comparatively low.

2 Likes

I put dwarf beans in a pot , then plant a pot a week . It sees me through for around 2-3 months

Easiest crop to grow, no food miles, no pesticides , so simple

3 Likes

After Montana, this clematis, The President, is the next to come into bloom. Many others to follow, hopefully.

7 Likes

I can’t see her without thinking of the torture of dear, sweet, innocent Cersei Lannister in Game Of Thrones

1 Like

I knew she’d been in GoT but couldn’t remember which character she played!

1 Like