Gardening

I went through my own pteridomania phase a few years ago. And still addicted - absolutely love ferns. Will consult this analogue option over the weekend (I’ve had a few sherbets this evening - unable to tell one from the other at present).

3 Likes

Matteuccia are the most beautiful ferns (especially during spring). They can colonise though, so make sure you plant them where you want them. Great stuff!

3 Likes

Yes I understand that they do send runners out, the instructions I read just said they’re easy to dig up and remove any you don’t want.

2 Likes

They like a lot of water. Don’t let them dry out.

3 Likes

Today we visited Cambo near St Andrews (Scotland). Some wonderful plants in the Walled Garden.

Hosta lovers will be envious. The Cafe uses food from the vegetable garden. Highly recommended.

Phil

7 Likes

The other day I visited Stody Lodge in Norfolk. It only opens in May for various charities. Has an amazing display of rhododendrons and azaleas.

10 Likes

Almost looks like it was done on purpose.

13 Likes

The meadow rue is magnificent along with a few self seeded foxgloves (moved from veggie patch) and blue geraniums.

Everything is growing apace and I have a glasshouse full of ripening bush tomatoes that just need to start ripening. The coriander (in glasshouse) has been cut back twice and the runner beans will go out this week.

Outside potatoes in flower and onions from seed picking up. The second sowing of carrots seems to have germinated. The wallflowers (flower next year) and antirrhinums (old seed left from 3 years ago) are out and the first sweet pea flowers have appeared. The white grape vin is producing bunches (10kg last year) and has had shoots removed beyond the bunches. The 6 strawberry bags have plenty of fruit.

What could go wrong? Well the slugs devastated the first two plantings of autumn purple spouting and the sweet peas (rescued to the glasshouse). None of the dahlias have succeeded in putting out a shot that has missed their attention.

‘It all makes work for the working man to do’.

Phil

7 Likes

Looks (and sounds) great. And you can’t beat foxgloves - always a joy to behold this time of the year.

3 Likes

Some flowers surrounding the house…

13 Likes

Gardening photos continued…

Living in a city with a small plot of ground and my wife, with the occasional help from me, can tend a lovely garden. A number of eatables are in the ground as well to be harvested later in the season.

Life is Sweet!

18 Likes

This gorgeous and extremely large Morton Bay fig was probably here before Cook arrived.

13 Likes

Try garlic wash. It’s a tip I picked up at Chelsea last year. Here’s the recipe, which I got from siennahosta dot co dot uk:

We are always asked about how to protect hostas from being eaten by slugs and snails. Garlic wash is a really simple, cheap and safe way to protect your hostas without using harmful pellets. Here is a simple recipe that we use on the nursery.

1. Take 2 full bulbs of garlic and add them to approximately 2L of water in a saucepan.
  2. Boil until soft and squash with the back of a fork to release as much juice as possible.
  3. Sieve out skins and bits so you are left with a cloudy liquid concentrate.
  4. Dilute approximately 2 tablespoons to 5L of water in a sprayer or watering can.
  5. Spray or water over your plants once a week February-October.
  6. High dosage and more regular applications may be needed in wet weather.
5 Likes

I think we need to move one of the bird feeders.
Taken through double glazing.

8 Likes

Thank you. I will give that ago.

1 Like

I wonder if the garlic wash would work on my French beans?

1 Like

Is that a hospital, I see behind the tree ?

1 Like

Yes they’re now very expensive apartments that have spectacular views across the mouth of the harbour all the way north to Neilson Bay.

2 Likes

I would suggest Roamwild feeders for this issue. ( I am not sure of any other manufacturers) , they are deigned as anti squirrel feeders , the perches are moveable and the moment a heavier mammal such as a squirrel or other rodent reaches the perch it drops downwards :point_down:t5: and the rodent or squirrel can get no footing .

2 Likes

You could always try on, say, half the crop and let us know what effect, if any.

1 Like