Gardening

Thanks Camphuw, I think pulling it up causes it to spread even more, as the roots are quite deep and it is designed to break at a point that encourages regrowth.

Looks like a sophisticated design

:-))

Yes perhaps ‘designed’ was not the right choice of word :wink:

1 Like

As I said a tricky devil. We got rid of it in our farmyard by just cutting it back - but it took several years. In one of our fields, we planted trees that out competed it - but that was long term too.

Thanks Camphuw :+1:

Good luck with it - it’s pernicious!

We had Jap/Knotweed in our last house (from 1918). Didn’t realise it was there until my wife questioned what the plant was (suspect the seller had cut it right back when we visited as it was an established crop). After research we instigated a chemical programme through a reputable company and that kept it under control. When we sold, we had all the reports and treatment paperwork sorted and all viewers of the house were made aware of its existence. In an area of poor sales we had 3 solid offers, but that was after a year of trying to sell!
However we had to buy a 10 year g\tee and pay the remaining treatments under the plan.
It is a persistent little so and so, but was just about gone when we went.
The horror stories are worse than the reality and my own worry often got the better of me, but mortgage companies can be put off. Fortuantely the 3 offers we received had all approached their lenders, with no issues at all.
I blame the Victorians, however we did give Japan the Dandilion which causes issues over there.

Fortunately we don’t seem to have the issues with weeds that some other posters have had, although some bindweed is proving a bugger to completely eliminate.

As this is a gardening thread how about some pictures of garden projects that people have been doing, especially in lockdown?!

Many years ago we bought a small strip of land at the rear of our suburban garden, it’s 15’ wide by 75’ long. Its a useful piece of land as we have had a garage built at the end which serves to hold one car and a utility area. When we bought it it had an old garage and loads of junk on it, purchasing it was a way to get rid of all this and gain control of an untidy strip of land.

It had become rather overgrown and then the box hedge which lined our rather makeshift pathway became infected with box blight. It literally destroyed the hedge in 3 weeks, we went away on holiday and came back to devastation!

Last autumn we paid an excellent gardener to get the area under control, removing some of the larger overgrown shrubs, general trimming and of course removing the 20 metres of box hedge which would have been a step too far for my back.

Last week we had the path relaid and we are delighted with it. We’ve renamed the area from the ‘New Garden’ to our ‘Secret Garden’. Although it feels new again, we’ve had the land for over 20 years now! It now feels an area to walk through slowly and enjoy the plants, rather than a quick dash to go to the tumble dryer.

There’s plenty more to do with it, but it now feels under control again.

Here are some pictures.

Before

After

28 Likes

Lovely path

1 Like

Thanks

We’re very pleased with it and it wasn’t expensive (£1250).

We’ve also had the edges of the lawn done in the main part of the garden in the charcoal blocks.

The blocks are only concrete but seem very authentic and are pre-tumbled to give an older, less pristine appearance.

1 Like

Great garden :+1:

1 Like

Nice curves - I like curves in the garden (well, not only the garden)

RIP. Nigel.

14 Likes

A few nights ago I heard some noise in the garden, checked it out and yes, the hedgehog is back. I find it encouraging to have animals in my garden. The mule should stay away though.

4 Likes

Looks like tonight is the last cold night we’ll have, have been hardening plants off this week. Going to plant out this weekend and next week, I think the danger of frost is over here on the south coast (UK).

1 Like

My daughter who has significant influence over the boys has renamed the maize plants to popcorn plants. Pretty effective girl to motivate others to help in the garden.

1 Like

The mighty chestnut:

My neighbour is 81 and remembered it being small.

7 Likes

Removing ivy:

Ivy: 3, ardbeg: 2. It still wins.

My wife wants apple trees instead.

1 Like

Maybe it will grow iPhones :slightly_smiling_face:

Or maybe your middle name is Newton ? :grinning:

Trees planted what a work. Taking out the roots from the ivy was a tough job.

Table also new. Not sure about the colour, but I think it will be fine when the terrace is cleaned and the wall painted grey.

8 Likes