Gardening

Mine to be pulled on Wednesday

1 Like

Well spottedā€¦ thereā€™s an Acer Flamingo behind the pine, and right behind, an Acer Drummondii. the leaves of the Drummondii are superb at this time of the year.

6 Likes

Lots more to pull and little freezer space :thinking:
Always try and retain some for out of season use.

Question: when is the right moment to prune the ivy a bit?

Itā€™s growing and growing.

Well itā€™s almost impossible to kill, so anytime really. In the autumn you might want to hold off if you want the birds to feed on the berries.

1 Like

Thanks Gazza. I noticed that there is are a lot of new fresh green leaves, Iā€™m a bit reluctant to cut them off but something in me tells me that it is better to prune!
Yes, the birds and also insects feed themselves. There is a lot of life in the Ivy, and therefore I like it.

Net doorā€™s bamboo is popping up again down the side of our decking. The roots have run quite a distance.

Iā€™ve just given it a water with 4 kettle loads of boiling water.

4 Likes

Ivy is almost indestructible so anytime is fine!

1 Like

Itā€™s one of the last sources of pollen at the end of the year. Not unusual to see ivy covered in Red Admiral butterflies in October if itā€™s still warm. But whatever you do to it Iā€™m sure it will come back more vigorous than ever.

1 Like

Cut it to an inch of its life whenever you like! Itā€™ll be back sooner than you think.

2 Likes

Iā€™d cut them back to the boundary, they can run for several metres.

Early in the season is preferable, March, early April, but you can also do it now.

1 Like

Thanks. Iā€™m learning :slight_smile: Ive done a bit a few weeks ago already - the difficult, high bit against my house. Iā€™ll ring the bell of my neighbours and ask if it suits them this week - Theyā€™ll be happy.

Thanks.

The problem is that the bamboo is popping up in a small run between the decking which has a concrete base and a garage, i.e. behind the trellis in the picture. Itā€™s not accessible to dig so Iā€™m having to become creative! The bamboo is growing in teh garden over the fence.

The neighbour has been chipping away at removing it but now they have sold so we will soon have new neighbours. Iā€™m hoping that they will continue with this, but they may let it grow again! Iā€™m hoping to politely draw their attention to how much a pest it is!.

2 Likes

And mine

Ironic - try buying bamboo at a garden centre costs a fortune nowadays.

I did manage to clear it from my garden naturally but you need to get every last piece of root up - not easy if access is limited.

2 Likes

A warning to anybody with teak garden furniture. Admittedly I still have to give the furniture its annual clean but the marks you can see are caused by wasps chewing the wood to make their nests. I didnā€™t think they were capable of chewing a hardwood such as teak but Iā€™ll now have to sand it all down and look for something that I can apply to deter them this year.

1 Like

Amazing what the pressure washer will do on full blast!

14 Likes

Thatā€™s incredible, does that mean the wasps havenā€™t damaged the wood? Congrats, you should be well chuffed with that transformation

1 Like

Very good work there John, perhaps a couple of coats of some outdoor furniture oil may discourage the wasps?

1 Like