Gardening

A Yucca Erectis?

1 Like

Fascinating…
When I first planted some willow, aphids were a problem for the first few years. The little beasts killed a good percentage before I tackled the problem as there were not enough predatory wasps around. I took to running a gloved hand up and down the stems to remove the aphids. I’ve not seen them for a number of years now, but the damage has been done.

2 Likes

Its been a strange year weather wise in this part of France. Exceptionally wet and long lasting with hot spells in between. Every fruit tree we have has leaves eaten, apples,pears, cherries, peach, even the figs. Little blossom and the cherries have been eaten by the birds before they were ripe. The roses and a few other bushes have sticky dew aphids as well as crawling ones. I won’t use any form of insecticide but have been stripping the aphids off as far as possible with a gloved hand and have made up the spray soapy solution to try and drown the bggers.
Fortunately the roses themselves have opened up OK.

2 Likes

Yes we have the same observation, however I do think that this year is far preferable to the summer two years ago when it was so dry.

2 Likes

I found blasting them with the hose on full bore worked well in removing aphids from willow saplings.

2 Likes

I used the same method on blackfly infesting a column cherry tree - seemed t do the trick

1 Like

It’s my go to method now for all types of pest invasion rather than use chemicals.

1 Like

I tried a few drops of fairy liquid with water and it seems to have a near instant effect on the bugs on cherry tree leaves - interesting.

2 Likes

The chicks have decided they want to sleep outside of their coup:

Is this worrying?

1 Like

We only have one chick left and the sudden increase in temperature seems to have put it out of sorts….not sleeping in the coop?

1 Like

I don’t think so … mine do something similar: kip on the front door step. Sometimes they sleep on the patio / sunken area by my study door.

2 Likes

Thanks Camphuw & Gazza. Chickens seem to know very well what is good for them.

1 Like

Only if you live where fixed, etc might prowl!

1 Like

No, so long as you’re watching them at night with a .22 rifle for foxes.

I need help to identify these

Thanks Phil

First one could be Ipomoea Indica or Blue Dawn and what looks like a Primrose under it
Second, not sure as not very clear pic

Yes, I thought the first could be Evolvulus Blue Daze. I bought several from the Garden Centre about 3 years ago.

The second first appeared last year and was not bought and no where to be seen on our acre. It has seeded itself quite a bit! May be a wild flower.

Thanks

Phil

Fairly sure its wild then, if not planted by yourselves, dropped by a bird.

Second one, UK, currently flowering (just appearing in South Gloucestershire), hairy leaves, about 12, 15 inches tall?
Orange hawkweed.
Flowers seem to vary, orange, burnt orange, brown.

3 Likes

Think you mean Orange Hawkweed? :cat:

2 Likes