Gardening

Hi,
Does anyone know what these are, they’re on my Verbascum, should I be concerned?
Regards

4 Likes

It’s the Mullein Verbascum moth - just picked a load off my Verbascum but not before they had shredded it.

5 Likes

Thank you for that, I’ll get picking. :+1:

1 Like

This caterpillar was mentioned on Toby Buckland’s BBC radio show on Sunday. Following his advice, I’ve left the caterpillars on our verbascum olympicums, as they are particularly large plants with no overall harm done. Plus, the mullein moth is a good feed for the birds.

3 Likes

Ops, I’ve picked them off.

1 Like

Frances Tophill is lovely.

5 Likes

Oh she is …

3 Likes

No harm done in the long run and each to their own - I wouldn’t wish to come across as preaching.

There’s a lot of munching material here, so not an issue for us:

With the hot sunny weather this week, the Green is beginning to turn summer yellow:

9 Likes

Not having a garden of my own (I have a backyard) I over compensate by planting in every conceivable space.

This includes a narrow access strip along the north side of the house where I built a narrow timber retaining border and filled it with ferns, roses and honeysuckles.

Despite the shade, its doing OK and beats looking out onto a brick wall.

10 Likes

Chaos and creation in the backyard this evening…

9 Likes

She exhibited for the first time at Gardener’s World Live (featured yesterday) and got Gold with her allotment style garden that repurposed lots of old windows and other ‘junk’. It just shows you should never throw anything away. The bug house was very artistic. Her show garden is going to a children’s organisation.

Thanks to Steve for pointing out she got Platinum for Best in Show.

Phil

2 Likes

Did she not also achieve Platinum best in show. .?

1 Like

I’d just like to point out that’s my photo of Frances and not just a spontaneous shout of love and a grabbed photo from the Mailonline.

3 Likes

You are very lucky to have attended the show and got a lovely smile from her!

Phil

2 Likes

There is no end to gardening in my place

Next year this spot will look completely different. We get a new terrace and a large pergola and a garden house of 50m2.

Oh and pruning ivy only can be done well using a pruning knife. The hedge cutter is useless.

7 Likes

Darlingtonia californica put out some nice pitchers this spring.

12 Likes

Criky! Triffids…
How big are they?
Very good photograph.

2 Likes

Possibly the most extravagant washing line ever, wife is washing her silks following a douching of desert rain from an event yesterday.

6 Likes

Knew the garden was missing something

Roku n Tonic to restore order

Happy Fathers Day all.

10 Likes

I also noticed that people could enter the gardens, unlike Chelsea

2 Likes