Gardening

I do rotate the raised beds, but I’m still building up the soil in them with compost. My natural soils are very shallow.

I learnt about the small clove factor the hard way when I first planted garlic. Did not know about cutting back the scapes though.

The greenhouse is now in and good progress with laying the patio and preparing the pond. Just a week to go and the project should be completed. The darker patio slabs are actually white but there’s mud everywhere.

The biggest job remaining is building the back wall to the pond, which requires some careful concealment of electrics and the return hose via a cascade.

11 Likes

Taking shape Steve…….i could not work out where the pond was going before these pics👍

Impressive.
Is the pond intended for Koi? If so, what filtration system do you have planned?

Mostly goldfish and a few (less than 6) koi. We’ve decided not to be so serious with a bottom draining hole and a large filtration setup (eg Nexus). We are going to try a large pressurised filter because it can be concealed behind the patio wall and we don’t want it to dominate the view near the house. The back wall to the pond will match the brickwork of the greenhouse base. The exposed blockwork will be clad with patio stone.

2 Likes

Interesting project.
Look forward to seeing photos of the finished job.
From my own experience I would question the wisdom of combining goldfish and koi. They might coexist happily for a while, but you could encounter problems later.

Just released the goldfish into the pond today. They’ve been surviving in rain butts for the last 2 months!! Not sure about koi yet, will research it. Thanks.

Anybody know what this bush is.

1 Like

I’m no expert plantsman, but possibly a “Snowberry” (Symphoricarpos)?

Just about a week to go on our garden project.
Still patio cladding to do and we need to complete the pond brick wall. Planting will be completed by Friday and the two turf lawns will go in on Saturday. The top lawn will be the area between the pathways. Still so much to do!!

11 Likes

Thanks.

More of an expert than me. But that’s not difficult. :grin:

I’d agree with Snowberry, so-calked because of the spongy white berries they have, although there are a couple of pink berry varieties like yours, which of course makes the name a little confusing.

2 Likes

Good progress yesterday with the completion of the wall behind the pond.

10 Likes

Plenty of walls for a heron to sit on

3 Likes

Room for several cormorants as well!

3 Likes

Hopefully I’m prepared. I’m cementing in tent pegs to install netting, also hoping that proximity to the house will be a deterrent.

Meanwhile, the first lawn is now laid and all the plants ready for planting tomorrow…

5 Likes

Proximity to house is no deterrent. When you see the odd heron nonchalantly flying overhead….they are clocking it for a very early fishing feast. In the summer you will never be down in time……a net overnight or lose them.
We did have a number of ponds near where i live fished out by otters……the river a mile or so away.
But do enjoy, it is looking great.

3 Likes

Otters can be a bigger pest than herons when it comes to fish nabbing as they kill the very large ones.

1 Like

100% agree. I lost the best fish I ever owned to a Heron within 12 feet of my kitchen door. The image still sends a chill down my spine.
If the weather forecasters are right, you might find the ground a little hard and crunchy tomorrow. Not ideal for planting out.

1 Like

Isn’t putting large ponds full of fish just creating a smorgasbord for birds and other predators.