Gardening

The best way to deal with ivy is to take off and nuke it from orbit

1 Like

That’s a great feature of the Death Star.

Since we ran out of money and did not complete the garden yet (it was the plan from the beginning) I’ve today seeded spring onions and carrots. The rocket is next.

Three things what cannot really go wrong and a great activity to do with the children.

I’m open for suggestions for other spices and vegetables.

Radishes are reasonably speedy to grow

1 Like

I bought 2 packs of small onion seedlings a few days ago and pricked out 140 individual small seedlings. I bring them on so they develop a stronger root system and then plant them out. Had I known there were so many I would only have bough 1 pack.

I am behind with the veg garden after a cold wet March, but we have dealt with the extensive coppicing prunings, and now I am weeding and preparing the soil. I try not dig deep these days.

Last year I bought 6 strawberry plants which produced lots of new plants which I will soon put in 6 strawberry planters, which have 8 side pockets and room for 4 on top. I will mix up 1 part each of soil, compost and last year’s tomato bag.

Phil

4 Likes

I think that years after the chestnut died it has produced a youngling:

9 Likes

Ah Yes I recognize these… The bl@%dy squirrels plant them all over my garden from next doors horse chestnut tree!

3 Likes

Seven weeks on from the photo above.

12 Likes

For the life of us, we’ve never had success with carrots. Another vote for radish, you have rocket, you could try book-choy. Potatoes can be great fun if you have enough space.

I can’t grow rosemary or coriander to save my life. Corianders apparently difficult but rosemary grows like a weed but for some strange reason I can’t grow it.

1 Like

I’ve found neglect to be the best way with herbs. Whenever I’ve cosseted them it’s been disastrous.

4 Likes

I think you’re correct.

2 Likes

To carry on the red/yellow camellia theme since the start of Dec, this camellia guilio nuccio with its larger 5” flowers is great.

1 Like

This popped up on my Facebook Page, very worthy .

I won’t be cutting back dead stems etc until 1st May , and haven’t dug out buttercups . Meanwhile my lawn is being colonised by Cowslips. The same Cowslips that were supposed to be in the raised bed.

6 Likes

My two troughs have arrived and a friend and I will set them up next weekend

Triple purpose
1 A trough for potatoes and root veg
2 A trough for flowers , designed for pollinators , I am planting it all with Astrantias , both for pollinators and …
3 photography , the trough will enable me to have the flowers at a height where I don’t have to bend down to photograph the pollinators . Hopefully my new Fuji camera will have arrived by then

This is from the catalogue …

And here is one of the troughs for the veggies

4 Likes

I’ve seen quite a few bees around since the early blossom came out in February. Certainly seems like more than in the last few years, despite the cold, wet weather over the last couple of months.

2 Likes

Same observation here.

1 Like

Maybee , we are doing something right at last

1 Like

It’s not really gardening, but this topic has probably the best audience for the question. Is there a type chicken which is unlikely to jump over a fence of one metre?

We have a couple of Silkies, they have clipped wings and do not jump that high.

5 Likes