Get some air round them!

Nigel, I did swap my Cisco switch from the Brains stack with the Core sitting on top of the brawn stack this weekend. After a couple of days it’s better sitting where it was the soundstage is more open and fluid. My only thought was the Core has a substantial transformer as per any Naim self powered product.If you got the chance to look inside the Core at HQ it’s huge…it would power most competitor amplifiers. Probably the same for your Uniti serve.

Best Gazza

Hi Gazza,

If your Core is connected by UPnP Ethernet then is it not possible to move both the Core and the Cisco switch somewhere away from the Black boxes? I have all my network devices (UnitiServe, Cisco switch, NAS, router) in a separate cupbord and have convinced myself it sounds better with space between these devices and black boxes but I understand that your core might need to be nearby if you have not gone UPnP/Ethernet connection.

Nigel, I could put the Core near the router but still need the Cisco switch near the nd555. Router is at the back of the house…70 foot or so of cat5 cables around the outside , thru an air brick, cheap switch, for tv , box etc, then under the fireplace…Cisco switch for the Hifi piece. Not sure moving the Core would really be of any benefit, but easy to try. Will let you know.

The Unitiserve has a separate PSU, so there is no big fat transformer in the box.

Space around most boxes makes a big improvement I found - and more so as your system capability increases. I also found gaps between the supplies and especially the power amp transformer makes a very large difference - especially with an Active system where you have a lot of amps.

Unfortunately people usually don’t want to try this (which is fine) and prefer the look of the more compact smaller shelving without spacers (also fine) - but then can attack anyone that actually tries it and confirms for themselves just how held-back their system was when constrained to be ‘tidy’ and all crammed together. It sounds so silly-better with space that you don’t need much convincing that it is what is needed for best music SQ.

These extra space via larger pillars or extra empty shelves makes more impact to system performance after a certain stage of capability is reached that a box-upgrade IMO. To hear all of what your system can already do can make you defer any box upgrade and work-out less expensive. But it is good to get a demo - I borrowed the extra bits from my Dealer and very quickly realized I did not want to return to what I had before. Bass opens-out and becomes more effortless and the top-end more clear with better timing throughout - just more enjoyable.

Aesthetics are a different question but for me the music SQ comes before looks, given when you have a large Active rig then you are already making a statement about your priorities IMO.

DB.

5 Likes

What sort of prices are there for different length uprights from Naim?

Richard

For a set of tall legs, which, of course includes the required threaded inserts, I was quoted a figure of £339. :astonished: :astonished:

Happily, as mentioned, a kind gent on the Fishy place sent me a set, in return for a donation to a charity of my choice … proving that there are some good folks around, still.

Thanks for the price…not cheap but may well be worth it.

Richard

Your posts are always interesting and helpful. I wonder if you could say a bit about mains plug order in a daisy chained block.

Many Thanks

Phil

I do use a linear-sequenced mains-block for my Pre (S1) and source (ND555) in preference to direct wall-plug-in. Essentially I have the boxes that draw the largest dynamic current (3x 500DR Amps) direct into dual-sockets at the wall either-side of a dual-socket I use for the Snaxo Supercap and the remaining socket then feeds the Pre first in sequence then the Analogue 555PS then the Digital 555PS at the far-end from the wall, so the Pre and Source 555DR are grouped close with the Digital spaced another empty socket away.

I use a 6-way old ‘Wireworld Matrix’ linear-sequence socket because I want to determine the sequence the mains (not the earth) accesses the transformers so that I can minimise cross-circulating mains interference between the boxes. The the daisy-chain of mains plug-in follows the order the signal flows between the boxes.

Effectively I’m sort of ‘star-wiring’ the mains feeds by using this approach. The current flows in the mains earth should not be doing a lot if the equipment is working right. This also keeps the largest dynamic spikes of current drawn offset by a run of cable (inductor) to the dis-board. I also found the S1 Pre sounded best in the third socket in farther from the wall, so only (counting from wall) sockets 3, 4 and 6 are used. I guess the empty sockets made a longer lead and a bit more inductance as a some harshness went and more HF detail emerged.

I tried many different sequences and this one gave cleanest, fastest and most ‘analogue’ sounding performance for my system.

Probably other ways that work but this is how I implement it.
When it is wrong it sounds messy and over full-blown or bloated or sometimes harsh - lots of ways it can go wrong so worth experimenting to get the best of what you paid for IMO as it only costs time and an open-mind.

…also some of this is fine-tuning the end-result presentation of your system to how you prefer.
With the Active rig I like a fast, full-bodied and detailed presentation with natural acoustic rendition, so that is the way I tuned it with the plug-order and the Fraim spacings.

DB.

3 Likes

I have been meaning to reply, but had some issues which are now resolved. Probably a big one was earthing the nDAC rather than relying on the CDX2 in transport mode with nDAC floating.

Three sets of long legs arrived and now all looks and sounds the best it ever has.

My double plug order is
555DR, Aria
300DR, blank
Blank, SuperCap DR
Blank, blank
nDAC, CDX2 or Innuos Zen (Mini)

Today I moved the Aria up from 4th down to top which reduced the overblown sound particularly in mids to highs.

Thanks @Darkebear. You might understand the inconsistent SQ when the nDAC was set to floating. Used sound good after 11pm!

Phil

3 Likes

Sorry for delay - still mastering this new forum layout!
Good to experiment as plug-sequence makes a lot of difference IMO and worth getting your own take on what works best in your system.

DB.

Just a quick footnote to my earlier postings.

Yesterday, I swapped out the positions of the 500 power supply, which had been lowest in the “brawn” stack, with one of the power supplies to the ND555, which had been directly above it.

This was in order to ensure that the Burndies connecting the 500 PS and the head unit were not touching the floor, as we’re always informed that doing so will affect SQ.

I can’t decide whether things do, in fact, sound any better, but there’s no doubt that the cable dressing now looks much neater, with the various Burndies completely clear of each other and running in parallel lines between the two Fraim stacks.

I’ll have a good listen later to see whether or not the sound has improved in any way, but the above action has resolved any possible OCD on my part over getting cable dressing right. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.