Getting the most out of SuperUniti; confused newb

I have a Powerline lite that I was given free on my office Superuniti. I didn’t believe it would make any difference and to my great surprise it did. I got my wife to listen and she chose it with the Powerline lite over with the standard Naim power lead every time. She didn’t know what I was doing or why, so it was a blind test.

Anyway the main point is that the OP will be paying about £1200 for a used SuperUniti (maybe a bit more if it has Bluetooth). So a full fat Powerline is a pretty costly upgrade to that and I think it would be a total waste of money personally.

Best

David

1 Like

I am currently using Talk 3 cables with the Tannoy Cheviots. I also have NACA4 from my first Naim period (Nait 1, 42/90/SNAPS >> Kans, of course)

Either one is fine to use with the su.

I’ll look into that. When I was a Naimie a few decades ago I was brought up to be liebe that the power cord that comes with a piece of Naim equipment is the correct one. Period. No discussion. The times have been a changin’ …

I would just set up the Superuniti with the supplied Naim mains cable and your existing network. Use the NACA4, but make sure the soldered plugs are in good condition, or get them re-soldered. The old Naim right-angled plugs, if you have them, will fit the SU.
Once you have everything up and running, you can consider cable or network upgrades if you still feel the urge. Maybe try NACA5 if you see some for a good price, you can easily sell it on if you don’t think it’s worthwhile. Likewise, you could try a Powerline - personally I didn’t find it particularly worthwhile on a SU but you may find otherwise.

Naca4, exposure, talk 3, linn k20 … all quite similar and perfectly suitable, use whichever you prefer/best length (ideal 3 1/2 metres)

That’s exactly what I have, 3.5m :sunglasses:

OK, so everything surrounding the SU seems to be sorted, thanks to all involved! Would anyone care to comment on the Cheviots (in my other thread)? Not sure how to link that …

Sorry, my only experience of Tannoy is of PA systems. Not a particularly common speaker with Naim users, but don’t let that put you off.

Should be fine, the su is gutsy and i think will drive them happily.

Totally agree. I ran my old SU on a Lite for a couple of months, having done head to head comparisons with the full fat version and standard lead. Great improvement over standard, not as good as full fat, but not far short.
I now run my Atom with a Lite, which again proved to be demonstrably better than standard power lead. The original Powerlines are, without a doubt, superb, but I certainly wouldn’t spend six times more than the Lite on a s/h SuperUniti upgrade. The PL Lite is a good lead.

I used a PL Lite on my UnitiQute for a couple of months whilst awaiting delivery of an Atom. It was, for me, a significant improvement over the stock power lead.

Thanks!

Will try once a used one comes up.

A new Powerline lite is only about £100.

Best

David

True. Cheapskate here. If I can save €30 I‘ll take it. Plus it will be well run in :wink:

Is it true PL lite only comes with UK
mains plug? I need EU (Schuko) …

Oh well the Powerline Lite is no good to you then. It is only available with a UK power plug. In fact apart from the special plug, it is pretty much a standard Naim mains lead.

Best

David

Oh well …

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.