Getting to know NDS

Im a new convert to Naim gear after years with U.S. and Canadian gear. I really love the Naim sound but find the technical side a bit of an up hill struggle! I would really appreciate some advice about the activation of the Volume on my NDS. I use Tidal via the Tuner pre input. I have activated the pre amp which produces the volume plus and minus signs on the app. However, they are greyed out. The system won’t let me activate the preamp for the Tuner pre input. I tried using the CD pre input for streaming but it still won’t work. Im obviously missing something. Can anybody walk me through the procedure please.

Are you using a Naim preamp, and do you have the system automation link cable, which uses 3.5mm plugs on each end, connected between the NDS and the preamp?

Have you found the System Automation .pdf which explains how to set this up? It shows how to do it with an NDX, but it’s tha same with an NDS.

1 Like

I can confirm it works fine with an NDS. Just follow the manual.

1 Like

As above. Let us know what your pre-amp is. Thanks

1 Like

for best sound quality, better to use the analogue volume of your pre.

1 Like

WIth the NDS there is no digital means to change the volume, only analogue volume on the pre. The OP is referring to getting system automation working.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the replies. I don’t have a Naim pre amp, I have a Townshend Audio Allegra plus and a Naim 300 DR. I use the RCA outputs of the NDS into the Townshend then from the Townshend to the 300 DR. Im hoping to play the NDS directly into the 300 DR, using the internal volume control. Really I would just like to try it on the basis that it might be produce better SQ this way, rather than a separate pre with associated cables (although there is some evidence that a separate pre will sound better).

I use my NDS into an Allegri. I think the volume automation only works with a naim pre-amp.

Hi Russ, the NDS doesn’t have a volume control. The newer models have an optional digital volume control, but Naim say this is best disabled for optimal sound quality.

1 Like

Thanks Dozey. Im learning all the time!

Thanks Chris, This is a 2014 model so I guess the digital volume must have been added later. Yes i’ve heard that its not as good.

It would be nice to have a remote control for volume, that’s the down side of the Allegri for me. Which interconnects do you use and do you use the DIN or RCA outputs on the NDS? This is my next thing. I currently use Townshend DC300 (RCA out) but looking at Witch Hat Audio cables for the future

Only the replacement models have an optional digital volume control - ND5XS, NDX2 and ND555.

1 Like

I’ve tried to get an Allegri to sound as good as my 282, but so far the Naim preamp wins. I really wanted it to sound better, but so far, in my system, it just doesn’t.

1 Like

You will need a Naim pre-amp or an integrated amps pre-section to enable System Automation with its app volume control

1 Like

I am using a Fractal interconnect from the Allegri to the Bryston power amp - RCA to RCA. I am using a Mana Stealth DIN to RCA to go from the NDS to the Allegri. I am tempted to try a Fractal DIN to RCA here, but it is expensive.

If using the DIN out of the NDS remember not to tighten the locking nut.

1 Like

OK thanks for the advice. Do you find that the output of the DIN is any different to that of the RCA on the NDS? I have thought about Fractal interconnects, did you ever get to compare them with the DC300 cables? I know that the Allegri is wired with Fractal wire.

I have not compared the same wire with different interconnects. Nor have I heard the DC300 cables. I went with fractal because as you say the Allegri has it internally. I guess I am a lightweight when it comes to cable comparisons! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.