Giro d'Italia 2021 ......warning may contain spoilers!

GIRO D’ITALIA 2021 STAGE FOUR RESULTS

1. Joe Dombrowski (USA) UAE Team Emirates, in 4-58-38
  2. Alessandro De Marchi (Ita) Israel Start-Up Nation, at 13s + combattività
  3. Filippo Fiorelli (Ita) Bardiani-CSF-Faizanè, at 27s
  4. Louis Varvaeke (Bel) Alpecin-Fenix, at 29s
  5. Jan Tratnik (Svk) Bahrain-Merida, at same time
  6. Attila Valter (Hun) Groupama-FDJ, at 44s
  7. Nicolas Edet (Fra) Cofidis, at 49s
  8. Nelson Oliveira (Por) Movistar Team, at 57s
  9. Rein Taaramäe (Est) Intermarché - Wanty - Gobert Matériaux, at 1-33
  10. Christopher Juul Jensen (Den) Team BikeExchange, at 1-36

<>

GIRO D’ITALIA 2021 GENERAL CLASSIFICATION AFTER STAGE FOUR

1. Alessandro De Marchi (Ita) Israel Start-Up Nation, in 13-50-44
  2. Joe Dombrowski (USA) UAE Team Emirates, at 22s
  3. Louis Vervaeke (Bel) Alpecin-Fenix, at 42s
  4. Nelson Oliveira (Por) Movistar Team, at 48s
  5. Attila Valter (Hun) Groupama-FDJ, at 1-00
  6. Nicolas Edet (Fra) Cofidis, at 1-15
  7. Aleksandr Vlasov (Rus) Astana-Premier Tech, at 1-24
  8. Remco Evenepoel (Bel) Deceuninck-Quick-Step, at 1-28
  9. Alberto Bettiol (Ita) EF Education-Nippo, at 1-37
  10. Hugh Carthy (GBr) EF Education-Nippo, at 1-38

<>

Three out of the four Maglia changes after today’s stage 4!

Maglia Rose = Alessandro De Marchi (Ita) Israel Start-Up Nation [Pink - Race leader]
Maglia Ciclamino = Tim Merlier [Purple - Points leader]
Maglia Azzurra = Joe Dombrowski (USA) UAE Team Emirates [Blue - Mountain]
Maglia Bianca = Attila Valter (Hun) Groupama-FDJ [White - youth]

<>

GIRO D’ITALIA 2021 TEAM CLASSIFICATION AFTER STAGE FOUR

1. Bahrain-Victorious, in 41-35-57
  2. Ineos Grenadiers, at 1-07
  3. UAE Team Emirates, at 1-16
2 Likes

Grizzly day in northern Italy … mind you I stayed down the road from this stage in May one year and it snowed!

1 Like

Haven’t been able to watch any of this years race yet, but I will try to catch tomorrow’s Stage as I went to both those places 20+ years ago (but not everywhere in between!) so it would be good to see them again and enjoy the race too.

1 Like

This evening i watched the highlights at 19:00 on Quest [channel 12] expecting to see todays stage 4… but it didn’t, it showed the time trail of stage 1 which was on last Saturday.
Is this a mistake of Quest’s or are they running 4 days behind schedule? :confused:

However i did see much of todays stage on the Welsh S4C channel.
Shame about the rain but it didn’t prevent an excellent bike race :+1:

Filippo Ganna no longer has the Malia Rosa but i bet he knew he’d lose it today, and will probably be plotting some more stage wins along the way :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Found this online on Quest TV twitter feed

We are aware of technical issues with tonight’s Giro d’Italia highlights and apologise for the inconvenience. We are working on a solution and will update you as soon as possible.

1 Like

Could not disagree with you more re Sean Kelly who, as far as I am concerned, makes the Eurosport coverage much more interesting with than without. He sure has his idiosyncrasies, but he knows the sport, the teams and what is going on amongst the players better than most.

Peter

5 Likes

Watched the highlights on Eurosport - that was a really horrid day’s weather - pelting with rain and I think they said it was 8 Celsius. Those conditions can present health challenges for some of the peleton who don’t carry a spare ounce of fat/ insulation! Some of the ramps on the climbs just added insult to injury so early on in the Giro.

Peter

1 Like

How courteous you are :roll_eyes:
His Palmares is slightly better than yours I’d venture to suggest…

1 Like

A riders eye view of Stage 4 conditions ( One minute 30 second video time )

2 Likes

Yes that was weird. I am recording them on a series link. Thought I was having a senior remote control moment. Fortunately I had the Eurosport version recorded too.
It looked like it was the cold that did for Almeida today.
Bernal looked really good. With Carthy, Vlasov and Landa also impressive.
Maybe Bardet a dark horse? no-one really expected him to do anything and people forget he has a bit of form in classics conditions, so poor weather, steep gradients and strade bianche hold no fear for him.
Lots of riders in with a shout. The Wunderkid too.
@Debs Just seen this thread. All power to your elbow for setting this up.
Keep up the good work :biking_man: :it: :mountain: :+1:

2 Likes

Stage five Wed / 12 May 21 / Modena → Cattolica

@Debs My TV is tuned in and ready for the coverage on S4C / Channel 818 on Freeview at 2pm.

Looking forward to checking out the locality and of course The Race. :+1:

1 Like

Same here. I took out a Eurosport subscription at the winter discount price and have been watching bits and pieces live or catching up later on. Yesterday I watched a fair bit live but had to go out so decided to watch Quest which I have used in past years. So what a surprise to see the time trial, again! My son was convinced he had recorded Stage 4 but found the time trial too. So in the end I fast forwarded through the Eurosport recording to where I had got.

Yesterday’s stage was one of those where you realise that pro cycling can be exceptionally demanding.

1 Like

This stage is pan flat and there is likely going to be long periods of very little action punctuated by brief flurries. The break is innocuous and small - just 2 riders - the main peloton will likely take it easy for a while.
So it is mostly a case of enjoying the scenery and the commentators chat. I have some ambient music on and the sound turned down but ready to turn up the sound pre-flurry.
First big action is the intermediate points sprint at 70km (107km to go point) so hopefully not long after the S4C coverage starts. Because there are only 2 riders in the break then there are points available for the main bunch. So looking forward to a brief flurry of action.
Enjoy!! Cheers
Dave

2 Likes

That was the flurry. But now the break is caught. Everyone on the radios:
‘That wasn’t supposed to happen! What do we do now boss?’

1 Like

however, tomorrow’s stage 6 is a must watch! :grinning: :+1:

2 Likes

That will sort out the sheep from the goats :biking_man: :mountain: :+1:. And also why the peloton are kicking back - the lull between two storms.
Even if the break isn’t caught, someone (Champion the Wonderkid?) will want the 1 second at the bonus sprint. Also the final sprint will be fast.
Lots of military helicopter action at the moment?! :helicopter:

No-one was interested in a mere second. No unnecessary expenditure of energy!

Ok - I will keep quiet now - no spoilers :shushing_face: :smiley:

1 Like

No spoilers . But for anyone who wants to turn on and watch live, skipping the boring bits :yawning_face::the action is about to begin

Stage 5: The ‘parts’ might have been boring but the ‘whole’ certainly wasn’t. Highlights worth watching. Something(s) happened!