Glasses cleaning wipes

Tesco window cleaner or motorcycle visor cleaner and a microfibre cloth. Simple, cheap and effective.

Cheers for all the responses folks, I’ll give a couple of the mentioned wipes a try.

Though gotta say I fear some of the potential solutions may be a little more ‘industrial’ than I’d like to force on my Tokai’s!

Never having heard of Tokai glasses I looked them up to see what they are - and on the page I read was this:

Recommendation for cleaning of the lens.
We recommend the use of only lens cleaning solution and microfiber cloth as your primary cleaning tool.

These special microfiber cleaning
cloths and lens cleaning solutions are designed to be gentle on special
eyeglass coatings, such as anti-reflection and anti-fog treatments.

Recommendation for proper lens treatment for easy cleaning.
When the lens gets heavily dirty, please wash the lens by a water diluted neutral detergent, but please do not use strong alkali or acid detergent. It affects the lens coating and may cause the lens coat to peel off.

Indeed! Though wipes are apparently OK…Apparently better use something like Carex hand soap rather than Fairy liquid under the tap too.

No not those,theseimage

A while ago when all was bright and sunny Fosters had a weekend beer promotion. The late, wandering ,last orders customers,who probably sired McDonalds eating
children, with similar litter blindness just poked the empty glasses Into hedges or over walls.
Me,being me, collected some. But I find it very difficult to get them to shine after washing up. Does anyone know what pubs use?
My Ecover and very hard water seems to give very smudgy results.
N

From the Zeiss website:
“Many spectacle wearers hold their lenses under running water to clean them. This may involve more effort than using professional cleaning agents, but it definitely has the desired effect. To do this, rub a drop of pH-neutral washing-up liquid between your fingers until suds are formed and then apply this to the lenses. Then rinse the lenses under running, lukewarm water and dry them gently but thoroughly with a microfibre cloth”

1 Like

Jamie, not sure if of any use, but for camera lenses, I don’t use any liquids. I find that certain microfibre lens cloths just whisk away any smudges instantly with one wipe, whilst others (even with a liquid) either take a lot of effort or smear the smudge forever.

My advice would be use a cloth you find works instantly with just a huff of breath. The type that have a thickness too them, rather than a silk feel. If it’s too thin, you’ll risk scratching the glass with any speck already there. Also the cloths can be frequently washed in a very mild detergent.

Hi Count, yes same for me with camera lenses, though given the love and care they get when put on front of a body, they don’t need more than a dusting.

A pair of glasses stuck on you face for 16 hours a day get filthy though and the muck and residue that builds up really needs a liquid clean. As others suggest, mine go under the tap at least once a day, with a bit of Carex.

Not really practical to wet clean while out and about for the day though, so a dry microfibre is always in my pocket. However I find after one or two wipe overs with a dry microfibre, they become less efficient as they’ve picked up the crap off the glasses already and you end up just pushing it back around the lens for the rest of the day.

However ‘wet wipes’ of some description fit the bill I find (if as good as they should be) and the Zeiss ones used to be great, though now I find a good half of any fresh out of the box are useless, and reading reviews on Amazon and the like, it seems they’re not alone.

And I hate mucky glasses! It’s like driving with a smeared and dirty windscreen.

1 Like

Once you change from being short sighted to being slightly long sighted as I did in 2012 one is more tolerant of dirty lenses, you just look through the dirt on the lens -
Quick tip - how to spot a long sighted person they have dirty lensees in their glasses.

1 Like

Indeed so - but more obvious is their magnified eyes, the reverse fir short sighted.

Anyone ever take a cocktail stick (with some contact cleaner on the tip) to the join between glasses and lenses, drawing out the gathered muck there?! Euugh…

Yes, gross!

I’ve used rimless now for years so not an issue. I love the fact that they are so lightweight too.

Many years ago I religiously washed my glasses with fairy liquid; rinsed them and dried them with either Kleenex tissues or kitchen roll. I later learnt that these contain small bits of timber and scratch the surface of the lenses. I completely destroyed the coatings on my glasses! Since then, I daily rinse with warm water; spray on lens cleaner from Vision Express or Boots; rinse under warm water; remove excess water from the arms; dry lenses with the above company’s lens cloths. I try not to touch the lenses until the next morning when the cleaning cycle returns. Every couple of months I do use Fairy Liquid and soft brush with warm water to clean around the contact points of frame to lens; rinse and use the lens cleaner again. All very quick and I’ve found that the lenses on my glasses remain scratch free until replaced. I too hate dirty lenses!!

Peter

Zeiss lens wipe from amazon

1 Like

I find the Zeiss wipes to be excellent.

I use these from Zeiss. V good and reasonably priced. Available on Amazon.

Yep, like I said in 1st post, they’re the ones I had been using for long time, yet now I find about half of them are at least a bit dry and all of them are more smeary then they used to be. I still wet clean glasses with Zeiss spray once a day though.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.