Gone Overboard With a Linn LP12 Akurate Purchase

Dear Mike,

I have PTSD and other issues and my psychologist calls it “Dream Building”. It keeps my mind occupied and fills me with day dreams of the best system that I am unable to afford and the what ifs, if I am able to trade my old Flatcap XS in and the Nait XS 2 amplifier. Possibly I can stretch my budget a little further.

I have taken leathernecks tip to heart and am now studying all the possible pre-amps in my range and trying to validate a 282/250 with associated necessary power supplies to go along with it.

I am glad I have done my home work and this supplies myself with a distraction during the day and at night and the next time I sit down to my HIFI and dream about the possibilities and enjoy the music of course. I already find the current system great, though would like a little bit more punch on the kick drums and bass lines. Then bass was meant to be played as a foundation for the music and at times in the background.

Dreaming away about all the different configurations and steps to build up to my end point system.

Warm regards,

Mitch.

2 Likes

Hi Mitch

Good choice.

There are endless ways you can go and you will get differing answers on the way to go. Nothing wrong with that as we are all trying to achieve the same goal in the end.

It is good to listen to the dealers suggestions as they know the products well and what makes a good balanced system. Plus when the restrictions have been lifted you can take your favourite LPs to the dealer and have a great demo session. So enjoy that.

Naim partners Linn very nicely, so you will have no problems with that route.

Going down the Linn / Naim route gives plenty of upgrades on the way that you can consider, but please enjoy the music on that journey and don’t rush into things. However, do remember the Linn and Naim upgrade mantra of “Source First”.

I’m not familiar with your novelty record player, but would be interested to see a picture of it.

In the meantime, keep safe and enjoy the music and finally, welcome to the Linn club.

1 Like

Hello and welcome back to the forum,

I have a near identical system to you, my LP12 is near Akurate level and I have a 202/HiCapDR/200 - non DR.
As I understand it, the DR on the 200 is on the 202 power supply so a HiCap may not provide the significant update that it does the the non DR version of the 200. Perhaps someone could confirm that.
As for the difference, thats really up to you, but I can say my system produces some wonderful music in a very natural way.
Im unsure what you mean by novelty record player, but why bother when you have a fantastic LP12?

1 Like

Many here use a Linn with their Naim amps so it is a proven front end. I would certainly keep the Linn. Your amp could stay a lifetime as a great source first system or you could splash the cash on better amps. It’s really up to you. But be warned, people here love to spend other people’s cash. For example, I would go for a 252/300 if I were you…

3 Likes

Nice to dream. The 282/250 will certainly give you plenty of punch in the drum department. Very enjoyable and would really dig more out from your LP12. Who knows what will be around in 6 years time though. Anything that improves on that combo, at that price point, would be impressive indeed.

1 Like

82/SC/250 will sound fantastic with your LP12 if you’re really desperate for RCA and the lead is captive I’m sure you can find someone to solder on a din plug.

1 Like

I think I am right in saying a passive pre amp will give you extra inputs

Bobthebuilder introduced me to the concept and I hope I have understood it correctly

1 Like

Mitch,
Given your diagnosis and other issues as you say, you may want to invest in a Linn set up jig, and do your own work. Anytime you want to upgrade, change parts, add a new cartridge, it is something you can learn to do on your own. It takes time, a little learning, some concentration, and it is very rewarding to see a job complete. I have gone many hours tearing down, and building an entire table because I updated my plinth. My wife just set food next to me, in hopes I would eat, as I enjoy the process and it keeps me busy. It may help you in more ways than a trip to the dealer, time, and money saved in hourly charges. If, for some reason you get the oscillating bounce issie or a spring collapses and starts to sag on the armboard side , you simply do it yourself.

Scott

1 Like

Hello NFG,

I hope this link is approved as I believe these items are no longer available.

Warm regards,

Mitch.

1 Like

G’day Stuart,

I have crunched the numbers and I cannot justify it. I am hoping to receive $20k AUD on my Harley when I come to sell it and pump that money back into the HIFI and ties the ribbons there. Yes I did look at the 252/300 and am considering a purchase of a Supercar in order if I did up grade again I would not need to change the power supply. What floated my boat is that the uProcessor in the 282 shuts down whilst one is listening. I like the concept of this.

Warm regards,

Mitch.

Not seen one of them before, thanks for the enlightenment.

Dear Scott,

I will give this some thought. I have not been able to use my hands for some seven years, a psychological thing due to four near misses by my colleagues not paying attention to safety standards. In the interim I have been building “Expert” level Lego kits to help with my fine motor control. I can ride my motorcycle though only recently I have been able to clean it to some satisfying degree. I will enquire through my dealer about a Linn setup kit. The next level would be Klimax, yet again by then my surplus funds would have run dry.

An Akurate I have and except the minor dealer suggested cartridges and phono-amplifier. A 202/200 is easily achievable and I feel very comfortable with this and would allow the possible purchase of a streamer. Though I do have a mindset that since my Nait XS2 is capable of 70 watts, I would like to see some improvement on the power out and wished for a NAP 300DR. If I went the less expensive route of the 202/200 and purchased a streamer I might be spreading myself too thin across the different sources and maybe would be better off with a 282/250.

I truly did spend quite a bit of time trying to validate the purchase of a 252/300 and possibly when we come to sell the small caravan and 4WD this might be an option as well. Though I think Shelley would like to keep our holiday escape vehicle for some time to come. Her relations are some seven hours drive away and it would be lovely to visit them once a year. Mine are four hours west, Shelleys North West from the coastal town of Inverloch in southern Victoria, Australia.

Warm regards,

Mitch.

Mitch,
Please don’t fret unnecessarily about a NAP300DR. The difference between an integrated offering 70W and a pre power offering the same has to be experienced, ideally in your system at home.

C.

3 Likes

I have technical Question. As I go through the numbers, dollar wise and the different components. With respect to the 282 pre-amplifier. It can be powered by either a HICap or a Super Cap.

My question, Does the hiCap only power the inputs to the pre-amplifier section and the SuperCap power both the input preamplifiers and the record output amplifiers? By this I mean if one is not using the record out facilities and they are muted. Could one have the same listening experience by only using a HiCap.

I hope this makes sense, There is a $7,000 AUD difference in price if one can get away with a HiCap instead of a Super Cap. Though the purchase of a Supercar would allow the possible upgrade to a 252 pre-amplifier down the track.

A 282/250 might be doable if I am able to only use a HiCap and enjoy the same listening experience.

Warm regards,

Mitch.

I believe the hi-cap and supercap both power the same parts of the 282. The 282 also requires a naps-c that powers the switching, I believe (I’m not sure). Often with the purchase of a used 282 a naps-c is included ( It is one of the reasons I never bought one for my 200/202 combo - also my dealer did not think it would make much difference), quite a few seem to think it helps. I’ve never heard my 282 with anything but hi-cap dr. I’d probably only go to a super-cap if I were to change to 252 or ideally make the jump to 552.

The partnering power supply for the 282 is the Hicap. Many think it sounds better with a Supercap (which is essential to power a 252) but some prefer the Hicap. Either way, you still need a NAPSC as well.
Try to have a listen for yourself if you can. You may well think a Supercap is the better option, but then you have to weigh that against other upgrades, perhaps to your source or speakers, that you could do for that sort of money.

The 282 can be powered by one or two Hicaps or a Supercap I don’t know the technical side to it but the Supercap has two snaics connected to a 282 so I’m quite sure it does power more parts than a single Hicap as I would imagine does two Hicaps.

Some people have reported an improvement with two Hicaps others don’t I didn’t but thought the Supercap did is it worth the extra money? I’m not sure.

What was impressive though was an 82/SC/250 though to complicate things further I had one SC on the 82 I didn’t care for and another a converted 52ps which was extremely good.

I’m glad to hear that you have some good help and a dream strategy for therapy. Though it looks to be heading towards retail therapy, but a good lady at you side to keep things in balance.

The options and permutations for a hi-end Naim system are daunting at the best of times. For what it is worth, the reality of dismissing returns sets in pretty quickly at the Classics range. I’ve always favoured source first and getting the most out of an amp that is matched with suitable speakers. In my case that’s a humble SN2 with a Hicap, but with the superb NDX2 and XPS DR as a streaming source and a dedicated headphone amp. It’s delightful.

I could spend a lot more with seperate pre and power amps - would I enjoy the music more? Probably, but life calls on other needs to. So I guess, for hi-fi - system balance, and for life - balance in general embracing the trails and tribulations that go with it.

2 Likes

Dear Forum Members,

I have had another rethink over the finances. In reality I believe I will be limited and very happily so to a 202/200 with HiCap and NAPC. Plus also a Headphone amplifier. I have reread the brief on the 202 and it also incorporates a uProcessor that shuts down whilst one is listening.

I am aware that the 282 comes with a NAPC and this will have to be taken into account if I go that way and compare apples with apples. Then that opens a whole new can of worms whether to to purchase two HiCaps or a SuperCap for future proofing. Though as I enter forced early retirement due to illness I believe I will happily be satisfied with a 202/200, HiCap, NAPC and a headphone amplifier running off the Tape output.

I appreciate all your comments and now I have an end goal in mind.

Warm regards,

Mitch.

2 Likes

Sounds like a solid sensible plan to me and a good outcome for an early retirement - good luck and enjoy.

1 Like