Good Remasters List

I haven’t listened to TAAB, I’ll compare it to my LP recording this weekend.

I bought the Immersion set of Dark Side of the Moon last weekend and am working my way through the various options! I mainly bought it as I had always wanted to hear the quad version!

1 Like

Quite few SACD’s are average, but this version of A Kind of Blue is very good indeed.

4 Likes

I didn’t say there was anything wrong with remixing. Steven Wilson has done some great work with the XTC and Yes reissues although I tend to prefer the original stereo mixes on the Blu-Ray discs.

I can’t hear anything thin sounding about the original CD of Tango In The Night, it’s a great sounding disc in my opinion. As far as the recent Fleetwood Mac remasters are concerned, I prefer the 2011 hi res releases. They are flat transfers (except Rumours which is the same mastering as the DVD- Audio, slightly compressed sounding) and sound uniformly excellent, especially the self titled album and Tusk.

1 Like

I hadn’t realised that Rumours had been remastered again. The version I was referring to was the double which included the originally omitted Silver Springs on the second album.

Interesting - I will take a listen later.

1 Like

I haven’t tried those, although Yes doesn’t really float my boat - I will look up the XTC.

M

1 Like

Prefab Sprout ‘Steve McQueen’ is a great job on a brilliant album. The recent remaster not the two CD re-issue although that is worthwhile for the acoustic CD extras.

2 Likes

SWCL-1613 The Nat King Cole Story, limited to 2500 sets, done on 180gram vinyl at 45 RPM by Chad Kassem through the analogue tape to analogue vinyl without digital processing in process as all others from Analogue Production arm of www.acousticsounds.com , except they also made a SACD of it for you who think digital sounds better (CAPP 1613 SA$65 for two SACDs).

SR 52074-45 , Louis Armstrong & Duke Ellington Recording Together for the First Time, remastered from analogue tape to clear vinyl, one side only of each record at 45RPM , Classic Records (clarity)

APB 036-45, Sonny Boy Williamson, Keep it to Ourselves, Also remastered from analogue to analogue on heavy vinyl by Kassem at Acoustic Sounds through his Analogue Productions division.

Ditto the Led Zeppelin vinyl recuts. I had all the original vinyl but sold them when I went into military, nothing today compares with the sound on those early issues.

1 Like

A friend has a Tangerined LP12 and the first edition Led Zepp through his system is superb. Shame you couldn’t store the LPs.

Has anyone any experience of or suggestions please for best sounding vinyl versions of early Van Morrison material?

Gosh, I have this on CD and it’s a pretty darn good recording, not sure what version I have.

I have a variety of early VM LPs, some original or near original UK versions, which sound fine to me. I also have Rhino reissues/remasters of Astral Weeks, His Band…, and Moondance that sound great and were very well reviewed when issued in 2008. These are all US pressings and were generally available in the UK at the time.

Astral Weeks (Cat R1 1768) is described on Discogs as ‘Remastered from the Original Analog Tapes by Kevin Gray at Acoustech.
Round silver hype sticker on shrink states Premium Vinyl Pressing HQ-180 RTI.
Packaged in a tip-on sleeve.’

His Band… (Cat R1 1884) is described by Discogs as ‘Remastered from the Original Analog Tapes 180 gram Virgin Vinyl’, but I am confident that this is also mastered by Kevin Gray.

Moondance (Cat R1 1835) is described on Discogs as ‘Remastered from the Original Analog Tapes by Kevin Gray at Acoustech and Pressed on Virgin 180-Gram Vinyl at Record Technology, Inc.’

There were European reissues around the same time but I don’t know whether they use the same mastering, or indeed whether the pressings are of similar quality.

2 Likes

I have this, it sounds very good, would recommend it

1 Like

Yes, the European Rhino re-issues used US metalwork and so you’ll see the KPG@ATM etching in the dead wax. Very good they are too with excellent pressing quality from Optimal!

1 Like

That’s good, as I’m sure they will be much easier to get hold of. I think they came out a year later by which time I already had the US releases.

Many thanks for the feedback guys, I have ordered a copy of Astral Weeks (probably my all time favourite album) online. I look forward to comparing it to my earlier well worn copies.

Just be sure and check on Discogs that you’re getting the Kevin Grey cuts as I think there are some others out there that may not be so good.

Peter Gabriel - So

Interesting you should mention this one @GraemeH as I’m about to drop 4.5k on LP12 upgrades this Thursday and I was sorting out some albums today for the listening session. I thought my original 1986 LP of So would be interesting to use since a) it’s a digital original recording and b) it’s deliberately produced to be quite ‘saturated’ and can sound sibilant even in the HiRes digital version on a track such as ‘In your eyes’. The soundscape is pure Lanois and is about ‘density’ and the richness of sonority.
Reading the ND555, 1x vs 2x PS thread recently I’ve been half regretting spending this much on my Vinyl source vs seeking a nice used 555PS to add to my ND555.
Listening today to my 1986 scratchy, sibilant Vinyl vs HiRes Digital on an ND555 I have to say the Vinyl wins at a canter in its ability to involve.
I’m still not sure which is the best use of my money given that the extra PS would improve ALL my digital music ( and I have a lot more of that than Vinyl), but if the new Urika1, Kandid and Roksan Sara can improve the already gripping listening experience I get from my vinyl then I’ll be delighted.
Bottom line: hard to beat the vinyl for the full experience of So IMO.

3 Likes