Got a hat, please show it to us!

I have always been a fan of hats. Cowboy hats, melons and especially fedoras. I love it when I watch a film noir, or one from the 40s where all the men, rich and poor wore nice hats.
I was wondering if the people here had any nice hats they would like to share?

I will start with my oldest hat. It is also my first hat. A pure wool felt, inexpensive fedora that is 23 years old. It has seen -30 celsius temperatures, snowstorms and thunderstorms. It soldiers on!

5 Likes

My 30 year old Driza-Bone. Bought with the stockman’s coat at a shop in Cambridge and worn frequently.

Shows almost no sign of wear.

An Australian classic. :kangaroo::kangaroo:

6 Likes

My day to day barmah … also have a selection of themed toppers and other hats for gigs and events.

6 Likes

Very nice hats Badger and Deeg!

1 Like

Indiana, …is that you? :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

9 Likes

I actually bought it because of the ressemblance to Indiana Jones’ hat!

2 Likes

This is my latest acquisition, a Stetson Stratoliner pure fedora. It should last me a lifetime.

8 Likes

11 Likes

This is my favourite top hat…

It gets a regular run out at the ‘right’ gigs.

9 Likes

Very nice hat Deeg!

Thought you’d never ask, I love a hat and have quite a few. Being follicle challenged and living in Aus one needs to protect one’s head.

This is just a small sample.

4 Likes

Part 2

8 Likes

I’m not really a hat person, but I have two. The first is a Borsalino dating back to 1992 when I went to live and work in Bratislava; it’s bit battered now, and I can only wear it once I’ve had a haircut. The second was a present, a Tilley, and it accompanied me on a trip to Zimbabwe in 2001 or there about. It now copes well with the extremes of Cotswold weather.

6 Likes

Snap! My Tilley is at least 30 years old. There is no way you can take a picture that makes it look attractive, but it is really functional.

Love the selection of bowls and of course Lost Words

5 Likes

I’m another who is not really a hat person. They generally make my head too hot, and are fiddly things. I certainly never wear a cap of any description, which I guess is due to conditioning at school, with compulsory cap wearing until I was in the sixth form…

When raining I generally either use an umbrella or wear a Goretex jacket with hood when sunny I generally just use sunblock (I have a liquid version that a few drops rubbed in on top of my scalp where the hair parts in all directions does for that, and hair protects the rest of my scalp, sunblock does for my neck, and sunblock or usually clothing for my shoulders.

But I do have a few hats:

These are my cycle hats, one for winter, the other summer. I never ride without wearing one. The winter one doubles as a ski hat:

This next I bought on a tour in China one very hot day site-seeing. As a sunshade it is great, with an air gap above the head. Not very good for rain because it doesn’t extend out over the shoulders (and would be unwieldy if it did). I’ve only worn it one other time, as a spectator at the World Tin Bath championships a couple of years ago, on a gloriously sunny day, the event having a very carnival- like atmosphere which it suited perfectly:

I also have this, primarily for winter holidays when not wearing a ski jacket with hood. Faux fur lining ensures my head is warm at very low ambient temperatures:

Then I bought this for a safari trip last year, as sun protection because of many hours potentially sitting in full sun.

And finally, on holiday a few years ago I saw this, which I quite liked so bought it - but I’ve never had occasion to wear it……

3 Likes

I am now looking at buying a Panama hat for the upcoming summer. I will post pics when I do.

Scarf colour coordinates with my cold weather nose.

5 Likes

Peaky Blinder!

Conquering Lion!

G’day!

Allae’s go well with…

:heart:

6 Likes

My preferred PPE:

I don’t think a new thread is necessary, but Naim kit and PPE has a certain ring to it!

4 Likes