Grandchildren and tweeters aren’t compatible

With melinex or similar plastic domes there is a simple method whether if will work with metal do es I have no idea…

It needs a tube of diameter no more than the domed part, but larger than the dinted area. Around a foot long ideal. Must have straight cut smooth end. Las one I did for someone I used a bit of 19mm plastic pipe. A toilet roll inner or similar would work if right size. Press GENTLY against the dome and suck by mouth. On no account use a vacuum cleNer direct unless it has a means of reducing the suction to near zero, then start there and increase gently.

Grills on is generally a good way of reducing risk - if the speakers have them!

My current solution for my 1 year old GrandTwins is plenty of cardboard. My granddaughter can now reach the left speaker and tries to prod it, so now created an additional cardboard box to go over it. Thankfully being locked in, we have lots of cardboard, and it’s a quick job to set them up.

5 Likes

There is always the option of a few well placed Cacti in front of the speakers.

2 Likes

FIFY :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Amazing how they seem to be a magnet for small fingers.

I recall a store not so far away which was more of a budget audio outlet, and so many of their shop floor speakers had suffered presumably at the hand of kids in tow with parents. You often saw the same in electrical stores or department stores with audio sections.

We solved the problem by simply not having children. :smile:

6 Likes

What about nieces and nephews?

Oh dear. I had a similar issue with the bass units on my old PMC speakers. Grandchild no 1 visited when I was at work, the grills weren’t on and both bass units had their dust caps pushed in. Luckily, the bass units had vented pole pieces so I was able to warm the caps gently with a hair dryer and push them back out from behind with a knitting needle through the hole in the magnet.

4 Likes

Nieces have a Naim / Harberth owning audiophile father and learnt very early on that daddy’s hifi was a no go area so always treated my lesser kit with the same respect. They are now both over 30 so beyond temptation.

2 Likes

You obviously don’t have my grandkids, sometimes saying “don’t touch” is an invite. :grin:

2 Likes

First one, a boy arrived in this world at 1:45 am Saturday morning UK time.

I look forward to explaining to the young whippersnapper what is important to Gramps.

7 Likes

Congratulations and good luck with the grandpa whispering.

Thanks

Empty toilet paper roll and suck in . Hopefully no remnants left on the empty roll :sweat_smile:

1 Like

No reason why grandkids are any different from kids! A combination of discipline in bringing up, caution on the part of owners of delicate hifi, and a lot of luck, is all (!!) that’s needed!

Yeah right. I’m sure in theory that works just fine but reality and life gets in the way. Not sure about you but I don’t want to be remembered as the “cranky” grandfather.

We all teach our children/grandchildren to experience different textures and experiences, then they see a nice squidgy grill or a nice button, and they of course want to engage with it. At 1, they cant understand the difference, so for now cover it up until they are old enough to understand the difference - It’s a plan at least.

Final point - keep house insurance up-to-date for a backup plan :blush:

My point exactly. :+1:

Nothing cranky about protecting your hifi! But then I only have had to survive one generation of offspring with my hifi not two! (And lost a rather expensive moving coil cartridge before I learnt to protect the gear from inquisitive fingers)

I’ll pretend you didn’t say that.