Great albums with awful covers

I am wishing I had not clicked on this thread.

1 Like

3 Likes

Thats really baaaaaad

Seems a bit singing ringing tree?

2 Likes

Love this one! I’m guessing the font is also called “Crazy Horse”

1 Like

Sticking to the original theme of great albums terrible covers, the 90s and early 00s was a strong period, here’s a few I can think of:

And I can’t tell if this John Martyn one is inspired or truly terrible but either way, cracking album, especially on a soggy day like today:

Plus tons of great dub albums, eg:

4 Likes

Loved that, had memories of it being ‘a bit weird’. Got a DVD of it a few years back… and my memory was right; it was a bit weird.

2 Likes

I love the Solid Air cover! If I used the wretched “i” word, I’d say it belongs in the “ic**ic album covers” thread. It’s evocative and instantly recognisable.

6 Likes

Ha ha, you could be right. It’s a funny one, I think nothing about it should work, the font, the caps switching, the lining up, the dated science text book ripple effects but like I said, I veer from being unsure if I think it’s inspired or think it’s terrible!

1 Like

I wonder if any of these are available on Tidal.

Only the real ones, Dave :wink:

1 Like

I think the original cover for Anarchy by Chumbawamba. Not sure if it breaks protocol to show it. I see Tidal shows an alternative cover

Ah, yes. That one! Your caution is probably warranted.

So I googled of course and immediately wish I hadn’t.

That pretty bad, won’t be going back there.

1 Like

Is that really a great album? A critique perhaps?

It is actually an excellent album. 1990s agit pop. As a man in my 20s I thought the cover provocative and challenging. Now. If the 90year old parents are round, I wish the Atom did not have such a luscious display !

It does asked questions though. The wince factor of what actually is something very natural, but can cause offence etc. Whilst a picture of mass destruction from warfare or self immolation can be considered a statement. Much like violence v sex in the cinema.

But the album is worth a listen !

2 Likes

David Bowie - (Not) The Man Who Sold The World

As soon as Bowie hit it big in the UK, this awful cash-in cover was used in place of the excellent original, cross-dressing one.

1 Like

Fine album, but the cover stinks up the place.

4 Likes

The artist deserves a swift kick in the shins!!

1 Like