Great sounding Jazz influenced Vocal albums

Annie Ross contains a version of King Crimson’s Cat Food !

1 Like

Stumbled upon this, Cafe Blue by Patricia Barber…Ode to Billy Joe had popped up on Roon Radio, which I enjoyed, so took a listen to the whole album. Enjoyed it a lot, Now added to the library.

4 Likes

Check out Patricia’s catalogue, they are all fantastic. Composer, song writer, musician, singer and band leader, she does it all!

5 Likes

As @seakayaker says, PB’s output is very engaging IMV, and the recording quality is great.

2 Likes

Cheers I’ll be working through Modern Cool a little later (after work), no doubt with a few others :+1:t2:

1 Like

2 Likes

1 Like

One of my all time favorites. 1990 recording, just voice and piano.
and take a listen to track 12 Small Day Tomorrow that is what we all need at the moment!

1 Like

Native DSD has it in up to 512fs.
SOUND LIAISON in DXD 352 and smaller formats
Carmen Gomes on her Band Camp site
has it in 16bit, mp3 and redbook CD.

1 Like

Another personal favorite.

2 Likes

Try this one.
It really could be Mark singing.
Available on Qobuzimage

N

1 Like

This was fantastic so thanks for the recommendation. I listened to it via Roon which then took me to a number of female jazz singers by its algorithmic controlled Roon radio. I find that a real treat. One to single out was Patricia Barber, a bit left of field. Her album Verse is worth a look. I looked up to see if she had any concerts lined up in 21 and 22. Nothing - that’s the time we’re living in

Me too with PB. Library now bulging with umpteen Roon Radio offerings

1 Like

Lyn Stanley - yet another superb singer unknown by me until yesterday. Now known thanks to this fantastic thread plus Roon radio. It’s like having my eyes opened to new and rich experience

2 Likes

Tuck & Patti, Tears of Joy

An old one from the late 1980s’ but the recording is really up there with superb vocals. Well worth a sample if you get 5 mins to check the tracks on Qobux, Tidal etc.

3 Likes

Really enjoyed this album. Possibly my favourite live album… good atmosphere.

1 Like

Lilies by Melanie De Biasio… great album. Found it via Roon when it presented Afro Blue.

6 Likes

Companion… another quality album from Patricia Barber!

4 Likes

Thanks Nick. I really enjoy this one. Never heard of her before.

VERY interesting reading about the 3 Carmen Gomes DXD albums; https://www.nativedsd.com/

Carmen Gomes Special

In The Studio with Carmen Gomes

Producer Peter Bjørnild has written an extensive and fascinating Producer’s Note about making recordings with Carmen Gomes. Hoping to inspire you to listen to this wonderful singer and her band, we offer 15% Off the album(s) – automatically reduced in price in your cart.

To top it off, every Carmen Gomes album purchase now comes with an exclusive-to-NativeDSD video of the track “How Long”, made during the recording session of the album Don’t You Cry! The video is included in any purchase of her three albums at NativeDSD.

1 Like