Ground noise with turntable on Supernait3

Hello Hello
I need your advice please
I am connecting a rega p3 to a Supernait3,
There is a ground noise that comes from the phono rca connectors.
I opened and checked the soldering of the rca cable coming from the turntable and it seems good.
Problem is only with the left (black) connector.
If I rotate the connector I can manage to find a more suitable position, however either there is a low noise or no noise for sometime then stong noise comes…
Turntable is 2 years old now, sn3 is brand new.

If I put my finger on the connector it stops.

I guess this is a grounding problem, can it be?
Shall I wire the turntable to the ground thread on the rear of the sn3?

Please advice :pray:

1 Like

Certainly try connecting the turntable ground to the SN3 grounding terminal. It can’t do any harm and may well fix the problem

2 Likes

Thank you for answering, I will try. Better asking before.
An electrical wire I guess or hifi wire type?

1 Like

Jean a simple copper cable did it for me.

1 Like

This seems to be a regular problem where the earth is connected through one of the RCA grounds like Rega do with their TTs. The issue is where the outer ground of the RCA plug doesn’t quite make a strong enough contact with the RCA socket. I can’t recall whether the P3 uses the locking RCA plugs like on the higher end Regas. If so, then make sure you have the locking collars done up as tight as possible - this not only gives best sound but should eliminate the noise. Otherwise, it’s probably worthwhile having a pair of the locking collar RCAs fitted by your dealer to the tonearm lead.

1 Like

No locking rca on p3 unfortunately.
I added a wire from the left rca of the tt to the ground connector on the rear of the sn3, pb seems to be solved.

For the record and for those with similar problems, I introduced SN3 recently, connected it to my Home Theater Marrantz preamp with the AV bypass on, and faced grounding problems, until the recent day I added the ND5XS2 connected to SN3 by Naim Din cable. ND5XS2 set to default ground.
Now with this extra wiring of the TT, things seem to be in control.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.