Grounding issue or? - Nova, Roksan Radius, Pre outs AV

Is this on ALL records…? If so, I would be looking closely at your Turntable.

Yes, on all records to some degree or other.

Where might I best start in terms of diagnosing turntable issues?

Thanks

Depends… on your general knowledge on TT’s… As you are asking, I am guessing not so much…?

Just have a good look at it, from all angles. And listen to it, with the platter turning. Remove, clean & refit the belt, if you know how.

Its a Roksan Radius…? If so the belt is quite obvious…

You said earlier, that the TT was ‘securely transferred’, from your old house…? Did you take the platter off, when this was done…? I hope so.

(As a Linn owner, its usual and recommended to take the outer platter off, when moving it - as well as lifting & ‘chocking’ the inner platter.)

You are correct in that regard, yes.

However, I’m okay with the belt removal, clean and re-fit. Quite straight forward, as you say.
Yes, the platter was detached when I moved house. In fact, it was all packaged in the original boxes and polystyrene housing.

I’ve had a look at the deck and cleaned
the belt but nothing seems to have changed. Presuming it can be a motor issue as that’s the only other moving part bar something unlikely or unforeseen in the arm/cartridge area.

Take the belt off, run the motor - and listen carefully. What you have described seems to be a rotary problem - so motor, platter, main bearing - or the record.

I’ve listened carefully, and apart from the minimal sound of the motor running there’s nothing discernibly awry, at least to my ageing ears.

But the low almost constant rumbling thump continues when I play a record, any record.

What tracking weight are you using? Is it possible that this was increased when you were packing/unpacking the turntable?

Yes, possible.

How would I gauge this?

Ideally with a stylus tracking force guage, which is always a handy thing to have.

Ah yes, of course. I’ve got one of those but it’s in storage. Will retrieve it and try that.

I’ve been on a bit of a crash course in turntable setting up.
My dealer has dropped off two decks for demo-ing over next few weeks: MoFi Ultra Deck and VPI Prime.

I set up the Prime yesterday - not too tricky to follow the VPI video guide - and this allowed me to apply this new knowledge to rectifying the Roksan. And yes, it was the tracking force. It was way out.

All corrected now.

Swapped cartridges too, which I now realise, with the right tools, is fairly straightforward.

As for the turntables, I’ve not tried the MoFi yet, (this might be heading to my brother’s system), but the Prime is initially a disappointment. The Roksan isn’t disgraced in it’s company.

Will leave the Prime set up for a few days though, to see how it goes.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.