Guitars and humidity

How are you guys coping with humidity, it’s pretty high in my room 66% so resorted to back to the case
and Humiditrak packs in the case which say they maintain a 45-55% but it’s still at 60% after 4 days using the packs.

60% relative humidity is not high humidity, and 66% is not very high… (At least in Britain, that is - but very high for anyone living in the Sahara, and extremely high for anyone living at the South Pole!) Recommended for human comfort, at least in Britain and I believe at least parts of Europe, maybe universally, is 40-70% RH, ideally in the middle of this range, i.e. 50-60%. In Britain the humidity indoors not uncommonly can range from 30% or lower (bad for health and comfort), to 80 or higher (uncomfortable, bad for health if condensation allows moud growth).

I always understood that for wooden musical instruments the more important thing is stability of temperature and humidity, while avoiding either high or low extremes of humidity, but I would bow to an expert on this.

Slightly off topic. I have had a morning mucus chesty cough and noticed if i ever went abroad I never had this problem. The bedroom en suite had the odd bit of black mould which led me to wonder if it was everyone using-our walk in shower and causing high humidity. I bought a Meaco dehumidifier…now no problem at all.
So to get back on track they are easy to use and you can set the humidity for you and the guitars.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback on humidity - feeling more relaxed about the situation!

Guitars tend to suffer with low humidity, rather than high humidity, but keeping it in a range is the goal. The low humidity shrinks the top laterally, and the bridge, being oriented across the top’s grain, doesn’t shrink as much. This can weaken the bonding of the bridge and/or cause splits in the top. Either can be repaired, but it’s not ideal.

Less significant effects include a change in the action (I have a low action 12-string acoustic that gets a bit buzzy in the winter), and fret ends can become a little prominent as the neck shrinks laterally ever-so-slightly. Each of these fixes itself, but they are indications that the humidity where the guitars are stored might need to be better controlled to stop them drying out too much.

Check out Bob Taylor’s website - he has posted numerous articles and videos on the effects of humidity on acoustic guitars. He certainly recommends keeping the guitar in its case at all times (when not being played, of course).

I don’t keep my acoustics in the cases, but I do detune each string one full turn when I put it down for the day.
When I pick it up a day or two later, one turn each puts it very close to tune, and I tune it before I play it anyway. I put some good locking tuners/machine heads on it, with 18 to 1 gearing, so it tunes very easily and stays there.
I re-check the necks whenever I change the strings and make adjustments if necessary, but they seldom need adjusting. Like one other poster mentioned, most variations are a seasonal thing.