Guru Audio, Guru 12 - any real experience?

Original Qm10 I bought back in I’m guessing 2009 were £1595, the Qm10two were £1795 ish about 2-3 years later.

My first pair displaced B&w 805ns from 1998 ish which were £1400 a pair.

Replacement for the B&W’s now are circa 5k a pair I think.

Gurus provided way more engagement than the B&W’s. (Original 805n’s vs either Qm10’s).

Indeed, Euro2400 not so expensive. Do not remember if it was official website or retail (believe it was official), shown price was Euro3300 without stands.

Does anybody know what stainless steel elements are used in Guru 12? I see the loudspeakers are pretty light, which can mean that a body will also take part in sound reproduction in case the construction is not stiff enough. But I maybe Guru has its own solution, saying that that steel was also used to manufacture the 12th.

Hi Moorim, as far as I can ascertain steel is only used on the front baffle around the drivers, essentially the white part of the speaker.

I can’t comment on if it is used elsewhere internally.

The Qm10 used aluminium on the top of the speaker, and the enclosure had more curved edges, hence my earlier comments that I imagine more complicated to manufacture than the more conventional 12.

Would say each speaker is approx 5-6kg, the Qm10 I would say slightly heavier.

I’ve given up trying to second guess what design elements will influence a sound in a certain way. Speaker designs vary so much, with claims and counter claims.

I have Kefs in cabin systems, R3 Metas firing down the length of the room on one system and Ls50 metas firing across on another.

The Kefs, both pairs, are spectacularly put together, the LS50 metas relatively heavier for their size than the R3 metas. Also feature curved front baffle whereas the R3 is straight. Both heavier than the Gurus.

Even when the dual kc62 subs are off, the bass from the smaller Ls50’s is much deeper and more powerful sounding than the R3’s, but this was never the case when either in the room where the Gurus are or when firing down the length of the cabin.

The Ls50’s really appreciate space from the side walls, has more effect on their sound that the distance to the back wall.

Gurus by comparison are a breeze to place, they prefer being designed to be closer to the back wall and a much less intricate exercise to get them sounding top drawer.

Is this a healthy company these days that actually produce and ship new speakers and take responsibility for them if anything? There is no address or information on their www on where this company is doing business from. The phone number goes to a private person which company is unregistered on June 2023 due to not having control of the financials meaning they are not allowed doing business since. They seem to operate under the company Peopleaudio AB which still is active though. They show a revenue of 52 000GBP for 2023 with zero employees. I see on Swedish forums people are bit unhappy with how this company is managed although being good products.

1 Like

I think it may have been a post by yourself along these lines just after I ordered mine that had me questioning my decision.

Can only say that Erik fulfilled every commitment and speakers arrived ahead of schedule.

His comms tends to come in waves, periods of high activity and then nothing, then waves.

They have struck an agreement with Project to manufacture the speakers now, saw the news in a show report, where their respective stands were close or next to each other.

The people audio dot se website tends to be the one that is kept more up to date than the guru one itself I have found.

I don’t have any commercial links with company, just a customer and someone with first hand experience of dealing with the owner.

I know the company reputation took a big hit first time around when they couldn’t keep up with demand.

Interestingly Kef having the same problem currently with success / demand of the R3 Metas, looks like I got my orders in at the right time, they are on long backlog currently, mate of mine is waiting.

The CEO where I work is currently awaiting delivery of his Guru 28’s.

Maybe a litmus test is to see who delivers first, Kef or Guru, both ordered about same time.

1 Like

I think it’s also worth adding that in my experience the people behind these smaller companies are often just music enthusiasts like us.

Erik offered to repair and upgrade my broken, and much loved, Qm10’s, free of charge, they arrived with him last week. I have no idea how long this will take but seeing as they were goosed and sitting in the loft doing nothing, what’s to worry about. I did get hit with import duties of circa £250, but that’s customs for you.

I’ve exchanged some playlist with Erik and he’s a humorous and generous person in my experience.

Likewise when I contacted Russell of Russell K speakers he was incredibly open about the relative merits of his speakers following an audition of them when the 50 did nothing for me but the 120 (I think) was sublime.

Similar interactions with the late Max Townshend and Richard Dunn of Townshend Audio and NVA respectively. They were both incredibly forthright in their engineering opinions, which I found refreshingly honest. Thomas Sillenson, “head honcho” of Densen, again another seriously approachable guy when Densen first made their mark.

Much like where we see the contributions from various Naim employees and representatives on this forum.

Apologies for any spelling mistakes on the names, bound to be some in there.

Well driven companies that care is important when things go wrong so I just wanted to highlight that what you can verify on business pages etc looks bit strange for the Guru company compared to others. It’s good if this is not showing the reality.

I will never again purchase Tannoy due to their crappy owners Musictribe (Behringer and such).

Hey Blackbird, I didn’t read anything into your posts other than being helpful to highlight things.

I remember back to the evening after ordering my Guru 12’’s thinking it was a most unlike thing for me to do based on the available information. I’m a guy that takes a paper copy of his flight details in case my phone fails :slight_smile:

1 Like