Hana Umami Red anyone?

Given your record collection and system JDP, you’ll need either a fat wallet of dollar bills or a credit card reader. :wink:

1 Like

I have the DS Audio ST-50. I only use that when a piece of lint gets caught stubbornly on the stylus. I used to use it all the time, but decided it’s unnecessary. I also just wonder a little if it’s ever leaving trace residue behind on the stylus. Now when I use it I follow up with a wet cleaning using the dense brush and a tiny spot of Lyra SPT.

I abandoned the green paper when I abandoned my LP12 over a decade ago. I’m certainly not about to use it on my $13k cartridge. That’s for sure. I’m just using what I’m told is OK to use. After 185 hrs the stylus looks shiny and new viewed through a 60x loupe.

1 Like

Yeah, my pot of dollar bills will have to be virtual.

I keep a spreadsheet of available discretionary funds, with items drawing against it for what I might need it for (travel, records, system upgrades, etc). So now I have a line item for Lyra Atlas rebuild. Every week I’ll just update it with the value of my stylus timer.

I pay cash for everything. I might charge things to CCs but I never carry a balance beyond the current statement date.

I think I will end up with about 600-800 hrs/year on the cartridge (I just started using a stylus timer late last year). During the winter months I might play records 20 hrs/week, but during the warmer months I spend a lot of my free time on a bicycle, followed by sitting on my deck outside, with a Naim Mu-so 2 streaming Qobuz (and a frosty IPA). Weeks can pass me playing no records at all.

1 Like

Hey BF, you use both a Superline and a MOON phono stage? a 610LP?

We use the same Moon 310LP & 320S that we used with the Dynavector XX-2. The Superline + Supercap DR was more capable but not by much to these cloth ears.

However, Vertere has brought out another turntable motor controller and we heard it at the Audiobarn recently, together with Mr & Mrs @Polarbear and a few other enthusiasts. It was a super afternoon and a great opportunity to catch up with friends.

Bearing in mind that our Tempo motor controller was a £3,500 upgrade for the MG-1 and is standard on the SG-1 and I think RG-1 turntables, the Imperium was shockingly more capable. I fear another large bill may be on the horizon before a change of phono stage…

1 Like

I agree. I heard the Imperium on an MG1 at the North West Audio show. This was demonstrated after I declared an interest in the MG1 - damn! I often have difficulty in hearing differences between unfamiliar equipment in unfamiliar surroundings, but the improvement was clear to me over the tempo, it really was quite a surprise. Though both sounded fabulous.

Does the TKR run with the same resistance as the XX-2?
If it does it would give the TKR a slight edge over the Hana cart.

Sorry @Bluesfan i felt your pain, that imperium sounded mighty fine!

It was good to see you again and catch up. The event was very enjoyable and both the MG-1 and SG-1 were seriously good. Especially through the Titan 808’s. It was just a shame Naim amps were not in use!

1 Like

Likewise PB.
FYI, the SG-1 turntable set up that you would like and which we heard at the Audiobarn was a mere £43k. Even less if you transfer your existing cartridge over from the TMS.

Just sayin’ :scream::joy:

Best regards, BF

In my experience power supply/deck upgrades make a more fundamental difference than phono amp upgrades…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.