Handluggage

Nice capacitors and a reclocker?

I carried a HiCap from Gatwick to Berlin with Easyjet just last week. I was pulled to one side by security but their only concern was the weight and I should probably not put it in the overhead cupboards ‘in case it fell out and killed somebody’. I did though, and it was quite safe.

I should add that I did have the mains cable with me in case they wanted to see that it turns on (they didn’t), plus I had a receipt of a service as kind of proof that it was hifi and nothing more sinister.

Hilarious! Take on board what you want as long it doesn’t exceed 100ml of liquid…

1 Like

Yes. 2 years ago I collected Ovator 600’s in the UK. They just fitted in my Citroen Gran Picasso. If travelling the other way around, you can bring quite some refugees in them.

1 Like

I once packed a block of Stilton in hold luggage which the airline lost, it was returned two weeks later :dizzy_face:

1 Like

Cheese is always a problem as it looks like liquid to the scanner but once a human sees it, it is ok. Revox B77 no problem on BA.
Ian

I’ve done tonearms: first an Aro, then an Ekos SE.

The Aro was never questioned, the SE was pulled out and I had to explain it was one of those things you use to play vinyl records.

At least one person on the old forum carried a SuperCap as hand luggage on a long haul flight and never mentioned any issues.

But this thread raises other questions. Like, is it really more desireable to lug a crazy heavy item on hand luggage with all the huffing puffing and sweating, versus sending it DHL? Travelling is stressful enough without a HC in your shaving kit. I’d gladly pay a courier to make my life easier.

I’m amazed the X-ray machines can ‘see’ through the fairly thick metal case of a piece of Naim kit. I would expect it just to show up as a big black square. But I daresay airport scanners are a but more sophisticated than a medical X-ray.

Mark

Something similar happened to a Greek flatmate at uni — he put half a farm shop into his suitcase. “Delicious” when the lost luggage finally arrived… :face_vomiting:

Where I was headed DHL would have meant insane customs duties, differently from accompanied luggage. YMMV depending on where you are regarding this.

I stupidly tried to take some federweisser back from Germany once, only for the corks to start popping in the airport. Had to leave it all in the toilets.

It is only 10kg plus weight of packaging, so provided it is the only hand baggage it is only slightly heavier than hand baggage at typical maximum of most airlines’ allowances where there is a stated limit. But if it is making the handling tricky, or having to buy checked-in luggage, then maybe easier if even cheaper to send by carrier - though that very much depends on the source and destination (UK to Netherlands perhaps in this case?)

Re shipping, at least a PS is more robust than a large pair of speakers, so no real worries about survival, remembering your unfortunate experience.

I brought my UnitiQute (7kg) to Thailand in my hand luggage without any problems or even questions. 3 Flights and ditto security checks. But I checked before with the airline (Emirates).

Many years ago I spent the holidays staying with friends who lived in the Bahamas. Sadly the holiday was cut short as British Airways were going on strike and so there was a mad scramble to get everyone on flights before it started. Our own flight was packed and I guess serviceable aircraft were in short supply so somebody at BA had dusted off an old VC10 for the last flight out of Nassau. In the queue to board I couldn’t help but notice a man with an unfeasibly large carry on bag that looked particularly heavy. The ground staff seemed to be all in fluster and he was arguing how it really had to go in the cabin rather than in the hold. Turned it it was a giant Conch and due to the panic he hadn’t had time to get it cleaned up. The airline staff had agreed to take it onboard and place it in one of the galley fridges. All well and good except on this particular VC-10 there were many things that didn’t work very well. The fridge that housed the rather smelly Conch was just one item that had malfunctioned and so an hour into the flight the stench of rotting shellfish began to overcome those of us at the “back of the bus”. It got so bad at one point that a couple of passengers asked whether the pilot could lower the altitude to the point where they might be able to open a door and jettison the stinking conch over the Atlantic. Needless to say, the conch made it to the UK. Not sure what customs would have made of it though…

1 Like

The conch shell had an easy solution if the person only knew - wrap in foil. (See Top Tip ittem just added)

1 Like

A courier like the one taking care of the delivery of your PMC 25.23?

I’m sure Peter Swain @Cymbiosis told me that he once took an LP12 as hand luggage on a flight.

1 Like

No not me, but one of my clients took his Aro LP 12 back to South Africa wrapped up in a towel in his hold luggage. Obviously it was minus the bearing, inner platter which he transported separately. I had locked the suspension place and indeed I had set the deck up for him during his visit to the UK by copying exactly his arm counterweight and cartridge configuration on one of my Aro tops.
The idea was for him to take it in his hand luggage but I believe his mother had given him some glassware to take back with him so the LP 12 was demoted to the hold baggage! Thankfully he reported on getting home and having set everything back up his reset LP 12 performed perfectly! :smile:
I suppose it was a case of needs as must…

2 Likes