Happy Anniversary Core

Yes you can via say a usb stick. But with Melco if you have a Qobuz or Highres audio account, any purchased albums are automatically downloaded to the hard disc……just need to pay for the music via paypal or credit card etc. The machine scans a few times a day to check for purchased music.

1 Like

I know that Naim is aware of this particular limitation but I believe there has been (and may still be) a metadata database licensing issue that prevented them from doing anything about it.

1 Like

But it is so easy and you have so much control over the metadata. After ripping (with dBpoweramp) I transfer the folder over the network to my media server. Easy, flexible and quick.

Hi Richard - I am with @LindsayM on this. Not being particularly tech savvy I planned to buy an NDX-2 and a Core to go with it, thinking this to be the option requiring the least techy know-how. I also hope to download from Qobuz. When you download to your USB drive is the download indexed with other work by the same artist that you have ripped from CD using the Core, assuming, of course, that your USB drive is plugged into the Core?

1 Like

Yup, the different stores integrate seamlessly in the App, whether on the internal drive or on attached USB drives.

That’s good to know, thanks Richard.

Just to give you an example, here I have three Albums, all David Crosby’s If I Could Only Remember My Name. One is a Core rip of the original CD kept on the internal drive and the other two are a rip of the DVD-A and a recording of the Reel to reel tape, both on an attached USB drive.

Just out of curiosity, as you have the Qobuz download, what is the benefit of the DVD A rip ? The master tape I understand more.

Well, it’s one I’ve had for many years and I can’t use streaming services reliably here.

Funnily enough, I mostly listen to the LP or the reel tape of this one.

1 Like

I don’t have one but think the Core remains an attractive proposition - I’ve ripped many CDs over the last couple of decades, but I really hate fiddling with metadata if the app doing it has got it wrong - unless it completely messes things up and I have to.

It’s just one of those little annoyances (metadata) I could do without, like video editing or binning bad photos!

I appreciate the Core is more expensive than many computer or NAS based solutions but if I wanted fuss free integration and had the spare dosh I’d get one.

Any news Gazza ? What will you try next ? Melco N10?

I understand your fun, having multiple copies of the same albums, on different pressings lps, DVD, SACD, CD, hires, Reel tape.
I would be personally bothered and asked myself each time: which format to play now, have I made the good choice ? :grin:

Yes….just picked it up this morning, warming up.

1 Like

I find on most recent albums the metadata is OK out of the CD box.

I thought the issue on this thread was that the Core software had not moved forward and lacked some of the desired features and functionality. Alternatives have been suggested particularly involving manipulation of the downloads folder.

1 Like

Qobuz often gets the metadata wrong
qobuz-meta
Spot the problem.

Sometimes it is not entirely their fault as the cover art is wrong too.

It schould be “Erroll”. They corrected it a year ago but track metadata has gone wrong again.
Slapped wrist Qobuz.

1 Like

I’m not sure a couple of irregular capitals is a hanging offence though.

1 Like

Surely worthy of capital punishment! :grinning:

1 Like

Sure, was just trying to say I still think for some people the Core will do exactly what they want even if cheaper options are available. I wouldn’t have said that years ago as I’d have preferred to ‘roll my own’, but these days I like simple approaches even if less flexible in some ways.

2 Likes

Absolutely, and their filenames are often also bizarre.

1 Like

In case you have downloaded or ripped with duff cover art - here is one I made earlier to correct your metadata.