Happy Atom owners?

That is interesting. My Atom is a replacement for a Unitilite with a faulty CD drive. This too is the second drive. I assume your Unitilite must be out of warranty, how much is it costing to replace it?
I had no problems with the screen.

Thanks for your support everyone. I will certainly be pursuing a satisfactory solution with the dealer if I get another fault of any kind. Now at about 48 hours of ā€˜fault free nessā€™
Just to clarify my Atom is connected via cable directly to the router, I decided not to use wifi for better reliability!

As I recall itā€™s Ā£360 and the dealer has conformed that said service includes the disc drive and the display.

Hmmmmmā€¦

Maybe this forum has some sort of link to the behaviours of Naim devicesā€¦ my Atom, which as I reported earlier was behaving very well just had a random re-boot on 3.5.1.

I was listening to a 24/192 album on Qobuz via the Naim appā€¦ there were several dropouts in the music, then the Atom re-booted. I am currently playing the same album and so far so good.

My Atom has for the last few weeks been connected to a mesh point (in the same room) on a 5GHz wireless network. The Atom is the only device in the whole house that is on the 5GHz band. This setup has been flawless since I implemented it.

When the Atom rebooted, I was of course shown the ā€œcannot find your Atomā€ screen, which claimed that the Atom was previously connected to a 2.4GHz SSID on my home network, even though I removed that SSID (or so I thought) from the Atom when I set it up on the 5GHz connection.

I know other users have been duped into thinking their Atom was behaving as it should and then had a single re-boot which fixed any issues they may have had before. It just seems very odd that mine waited for so long after I applied the 3.5.1 update (I updated the day of release) for it to have a re-boot!

I am hoping this re-boot marks the end of this type of behaviour!

I must admit I use Roon most of the time with the Atom, (and optical in from the TV), and rarely use the Naim app. I was using the Naim app to determine if my Mum (in her 80s) would be able to use it. I was contemplating recommending a Muso 2 for her music as her current system has died a death. My mum is a real technophobe and I would not want to lumber her with anything that wasnā€™t bulletproof in terms of stability and ease of use.

Not convinced I have 100% confidence in Naim in that regardā€¦ we will see.

Mark

Sorry to here about your crash, MortalWombat . The symptoms you describe are like the failures I have had while on V3.5.0. This hasnā€™t happened to me on v3.5.1 (yet). Although that may be because I have to reboot to clear the screen faults.

However this morning is my first failure since the factory reset 4 days ago. Not a crash but another screen freeze where the last Tidal album art is displayed permanently. So that is only about 96 hours fault free which is fairly typical since I bought it. :-1:

The Atom has been fraught with issues from day 1 of realise. Iā€™m on my 3rd now and this one still crashes a few times per month. Ive has it on wifi, Cat6a, and even with Flac files directly via a HDD still crashes.

Lovely product when it works, itā€™s just not stable even now IMHO.

Mine is running pretty well on 3.5.1 wired via C Stream to a 4G router. Had a couple of screen freezes and one random reboot but thatā€™s about it.

On previous firmware the reboots were almost daily.

Works perfectly.

Light years ahead in every dimension of my old Unitiqute, which was a lemon from the start.

Iā€™ve owned my Atom since May 2018 and havenā€™t noticed a single issue with it. No reboots, no crashes etc.

3 Likes

I couldnā€™t agree more. Works well and is very nicely put together. It came to replace a UnitiQute with is now back from servicing. All I need to do now is work out what to do with the Qute.

Interesting now we seem to have a mixture of ā€œno problems at allā€ to ā€œnothing but troubleā€. My original post was because of the constant problems with mine since I bought it (end of July). Naim support suggested I should return it. I have had the replacement since end of October. But the interesting thing is that the screen freezes are still occurring. The only way to clear it is to power down. I have no random reboots at all now on FW 3.5.1
I now think all the crashing problems I have had are due to the earlier firmware. But the screen freezes are possibly hardware related, since I now have had 2 Atoms with exactly the same symptoms. I will be contacting Naim support again.
Maybe there are hardware differences with newer Atoms causing issues (?) Certainly there are some comments above with ā€œperfectā€ Atoms but they are older than mine.

Mine shipped to the dealer in Jan '19. Oh and itā€™s just had another reboot. Second Iā€™ve observed since 3.5.1

My Atom (second system, bought pre-loved in June '20) has performed very well on a daily basis since I have had it - I control it either via the Naim app, or via Roon. It has a different, warmer, sound, than other hifi components, which is ideal for daytime & casual listening at low volume; I think of it as a ā€˜Happy Atomā€™.

The only ā€˜screen freezeā€™ issue I have had is when feeding it an analogue input, from which the remote and naim app wouldnā€™t ā€˜moveā€™, a quick power-off resolved that. I donā€™t need the analogue input anyway, it was just a trial.

I use an ethernet network, with bridged switches, and a Powerline. The Atom works well on my the wif-fi part of the network when I occasionally move it from itā€™s establised position in my office/study.

The Naim software / firmware releases this year have really moved it forward in term of usability on the Atom, and on my Qb2. The Atom is on FW 3.6.0;

1 Like

Iā€™m very satisfied with my Atom. Iā€™ve had it for 5-6 weeks. Love the sound and itā€™s work perfect so far.

3 Likes

I think a Mu-so (Qb would definitely be enough IMO) would be easily managed by your mom. The only thing she may have a problem with would be a reset, but thatā€™s pretty rare. Especially if she would be happy with the radio. Thatā€™s really simple. But someone would need be available for glitches. But if she loves music, sheā€™d get lots of pleasure from a Qb. Plus if you can teach her to use Apple Music, thatā€™s easy also. You really donā€™t need the app (when using Apple Music on a pad or phone.). Plus, the Mu-so Qb V2 comes with a remote I believe.

Wondering if you found the Atom much of an improvement over your Qute?
I ask, as I am running a Qute with Nap100, but thinking of making a change.
Thanks.

Iā€™ve certainly seen improvements across the board compared with by Lite but the Lite still preformed well. My issue with the Lite was two next CD drives(which I never used) and a dead screen. Iā€™ll be keeping the Lite to use in another room largely because the trading in has been less than wonderful.

The combo of NAP100 and Atom has received some comment on this forum , the most common view seems that the NAP100 at 50 watts per channel only exceeds the Atomā€™s 40 watts per channel by a small amount.
The Atom and NAP 200 gets a lot of favourable comment

Second day. Set up was easy peasy (man if I can do itā€¦) and Iā€™m friggā€™n blown away. Love it and my new Focal 816s (wow do I recommend this system!) Tomorrow Iā€™ll see if I can use my Mu-so Qb in another room with it (I need an ethernet cable to try.)

4 Likes

Iā€™ve had my Atom 4 weeks now.
Seamless instal & set up.
Ethernet connect to modem
Using Tidal HIFI, via the NAIM app
Sounds incredible
Love it.
Only niggle is that the screen (album artwork) freezes every 3-5 days - easy to fix, but a niggle nonetheless

2 Likes