Happy Camper with a Raspberry Pi

Thank you @nbpf I’ll give these some thought and do some research. It is a worry for me that much of what you have said confuses the hell out of me, this may be why I don’t find the world of Rpi very comfortable everyone assumes you know what you are doing!

1 Like

Same here @nbpf, I’ve tried out most of the options for a Raspberry Pi and I usually end up back with the standard Raspberry Pi OS. You have full control and can customize it to your wishes. You need to be a bit of a geek though and some of the plug n’ play distros like RoPieee XL are quite good and easy to set up.

1 Like

These are my RPi setups:
Lounge: RPi 4B/HiFiBerry DAC2 Pro/HiFiBerryOS -> Aune X7s headphone amp/Sennheiser HD650
Study: RPi 3B/HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro/HiFiBerryOS -> Micromega MyDac/B&W MM-1
Bedroom: RPi 4/RoPieeeOS -> Audioquest Dragonfly Red/Sony noise cancelling headphones (doubles for mobile use)
Conservatory: RPi 3B/HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro/HiFiBerryOS -> B&W MM-1
For me the key things were, after the initial research deciding which way to go, they were easy to install and setup, and run trouble free.
All systems are set to run Roon from an Audiostore MicroRoon music server.
Music everywhere I want it. Never been happier.

Dave

2 Likes

I am looking to invest in a RPi 4 to use exclusively as a streamer. Will only be running Roon and Spotify - all my music is via online streaming. The RPi will feed a DAC (still debating which one to get), which in turn will connect to a Nait 2.

The consensus on websites such as ACR seems to be that there is no point paying premium for a streamer and that a RPi based steamer would perform the same as a branded streamer at 10x the cost. I can understand the logic behind this argument. And it is also a fact that many premium streamer use a RPi based hardware setup.

However, is this the subjective experience of those who have tried and compared here? Ie there is no sound quality difference if used as a pure streamer?

The other option I’m currently looking at is getting a ND5XS2 and use that as a pure streamer. Quality is important to me, so happy to get the ND5XS2 if there is an improvement to sound quality vs a RPi system.

Thanks

Having recently moved from a Pi based streamer (Project Streambox S2 ultra) to a Sonore ultraRendu for my headphone system (Mytek Brooklyn DAC+) there was quite a step up in SQ that I wasn’t expecting (both acting as Roon endpoints). I’d certainly try a couple of streamers as sources to your particular DAC to determine what works best for you.

I use a Sonore microRendu for streaming duties in my main system but had a lot of success with RPi and HiFiBerry products in other setups around the house. (see posts above)

Dave

Hi James

I recall you have a Devialet in your main system? I have been using a Devialet 220 pro for the last few year and have been generally very satisfied. Although a recently acquired Nait 2 with Devialet only as a streamer and DAC sounded ridiculously good for the money.

If you still have the Devialet did you ever compare the RPi streamer vs the streamer in the Devialet. Thought that would provide some insights.

Thanks

Thanks for the link Dave, lots of food for thought.

I must admit I’ve not tried it. I used to use a Melco as a USB source in my main system but once I had the Core Infinity streaming board fitted to the Dev I used UPnP via Ethernet and then Roon as I found it better than USB (Sold the Melco).

For me, it keeps things simple with all the ‘noisy’Network hardware (Nucleus and Cisco 2960) elsewhere and just an EE switch in the rack in the lounge.

Nice choice on the Nait 2. I have a sweet little Nait 1 but keep an eye out for the right Nait 2. It would be worth considering a Chord Qutest for your Nait 2 - It’s a very nice DAC. Its switchable output voltage allows you to get more range on the volume control of a Nait so you don’t get into the usual channel imbalance issues at low volume settings.

I use roon via wifi to the Devialet, sounds great and very neat.

I just bought a naked RPi4b 4gb, will compare it to the streamer in the Devialet’s streamer board and report back.

1 Like

That’s what I initially thought as well, until I read more into it. I think there would be a big difference if one intends to use the RPi as a streamer + DAC. However I have seen less evidence of improvement in data quality when Rpi is used purely as a streamer.

Anyway, I have just bought a RPi to try and will revert on my findings.

@nbpf just thought I would update and say that I’ve been using the latest version of GentooPlayer and seem to be getting much better results from an ease of use and stability perspective. Documentation could still be better but can’t have everything :grinning:

1 Like

As a first step, and to get a feel for it, you might like to try Volumio or (my preference) MoOde software on the RPi. They are both pretty simple; just download the image, blow onto an SD Card via your PC, plug into the Pi, boot up and configure . They will pick up internet radio, or play audio files from a USB stick plugged into the Pi.

1 Like

Thanks, will give both a try.

let us know how you get on :slight_smile:

there’s a lot of RPi experience both on this forum and on Pink Fish.

If your using Roon and want Spotify then I recommend Ropieee XL as the distro to install. It’s primary function is to be a simple Roon bridge, but the developer expanded the XL version to add Spotify connect, upnp, Squeezelite and Also acts as an NAA adaptor for HQplayer. Just enable what you want. The Dev is a regular on Roon forum and supports it from there has its own section in Audio Hardware bit. He’s really good and open to ideas as well as supplying a comerical option for streaming hardware, the Stack Audio Link just switched to using it.

I use it for all my 3 RPI endpoints. The RPI 4 with a decent psu or battery to a good usb implemented DAC will deliver a very good streaming solution regardless of what some will tell you on here.

4 Likes

My RPi with 4 Gb of ram was delivered just before the weekend. Set up was very easy, I had Volumio set up and Roon Bridge plug-in installed within 30 minutes.

The RPi is then connected via USB to a SMSL Su9 Dac, which I compared against the streamer and Dac section of a Devialet 220 pro. The same Nait 2 was used as amplification. Speakers are Kudos 606s.

Wife and I then listened to a range of songs which we are familiar with. Impression from wife was that there wasn’t any significant difference between the two. I agree, although I felt the Rpi combination probably offered slightly more detail, but also sounded slightly more edgy. Changing to the “warm 1” filter on the SMSL was an improvement to the sound to my ears.

Overall I’m very impressed with RPi, for a device costing less than 100 USD, the sound quality, ease of use and value for money is really unbeatable.

I’m also astounded by progress of technology. A SMSL DAC + the Rpi cost less than 500 USD, and the sound quality is at least equal to the Devialet which costs 15x more.

3 Likes

Good to hear. Scary what you can achieve with a RPi. :grinning:

Dave

3 Likes

Interesting I cant hear any difference with any of the sound color filters. I wonder if my DAC is actually faulty or my hearing is more shot than I thought.

Thanks. Will give Ropieee XL a try. Sound like a perfect product for me as I only listen to Roon and Spotify - both streaming.

Which PSU upgrade did you get? And was it a big improvement to the RPi power unit?