Happy Camper with a Raspberry Pi

let us know how you get on :slight_smile:

there’s a lot of RPi experience both on this forum and on Pink Fish.

If your using Roon and want Spotify then I recommend Ropieee XL as the distro to install. It’s primary function is to be a simple Roon bridge, but the developer expanded the XL version to add Spotify connect, upnp, Squeezelite and Also acts as an NAA adaptor for HQplayer. Just enable what you want. The Dev is a regular on Roon forum and supports it from there has its own section in Audio Hardware bit. He’s really good and open to ideas as well as supplying a comerical option for streaming hardware, the Stack Audio Link just switched to using it.

I use it for all my 3 RPI endpoints. The RPI 4 with a decent psu or battery to a good usb implemented DAC will deliver a very good streaming solution regardless of what some will tell you on here.

4 Likes

My RPi with 4 Gb of ram was delivered just before the weekend. Set up was very easy, I had Volumio set up and Roon Bridge plug-in installed within 30 minutes.

The RPi is then connected via USB to a SMSL Su9 Dac, which I compared against the streamer and Dac section of a Devialet 220 pro. The same Nait 2 was used as amplification. Speakers are Kudos 606s.

Wife and I then listened to a range of songs which we are familiar with. Impression from wife was that there wasn’t any significant difference between the two. I agree, although I felt the Rpi combination probably offered slightly more detail, but also sounded slightly more edgy. Changing to the “warm 1” filter on the SMSL was an improvement to the sound to my ears.

Overall I’m very impressed with RPi, for a device costing less than 100 USD, the sound quality, ease of use and value for money is really unbeatable.

I’m also astounded by progress of technology. A SMSL DAC + the Rpi cost less than 500 USD, and the sound quality is at least equal to the Devialet which costs 15x more.

3 Likes

Good to hear. Scary what you can achieve with a RPi. :grinning:

Dave

3 Likes

Interesting I cant hear any difference with any of the sound color filters. I wonder if my DAC is actually faulty or my hearing is more shot than I thought.

Thanks. Will give Ropieee XL a try. Sound like a perfect product for me as I only listen to Roon and Spotify - both streaming.

Which PSU upgrade did you get? And was it a big improvement to the RPi power unit?

I use a 25000ma battery pack and I got an inline switch that makes it easy to turn it off and on. And no the switch does not deteriorate the sound in anyway. It lasts for a few solid listening if using it a lot if only a hour here and there it lasted about 2 weeks between charges.

The filter effect is very subtle.

One of the tracks we tried was “Hey There Delilah” by Jasmine Thompson. With the default filter I felt some of the higher notes had a hint of edginess to it. But the Warm 1 option helped to mitigate that quite a bit.

1 Like

Good idea. And I just happen to have an unused battery pack (won at a charity lottery).

When installing just leave it with network cable plugged in. Takes a good while to install as it has to download all the components. You can switch to wireless later if you want but install needs to be done when hardwired.

I installed Volumio with just the network hot spot. The HDMI cable I bought as I thought I’d need to see the installation was also not used.

It’s quite amazing how easy the RPi is to set up.

How’s things going with the pi and SMSL?

I really like it. My last DAC was a Chord TT, and I thought the Su9 is at least as good. I originally had planned to use the Chord Cutest as the DAC in my main system, but I’m not too sure any more…

Yep I don’t think you need to spend the earth on DACs anymore. Companies like Topping , SMSL and Matrix Audio are all making quality DACs. The only issue I see is support as its not easy to get them fixed being based in China, but there support are generally very helpful.

1 Like

Agree. And based on my experience with the RPI, same applies to the streamer.

2 Likes

I’m strongly considering ditching Naims streaming platform entirely and my Atom and go for just a Naim amp and a DAC of my choice. Very tempted by the Matrix Audio Mini 3i pro as its a very good DAC with Roon built in as its just past certification. Or just get another SMSL and Pi or RME and Pi. If it wasn’t for my TT I would just go straight to a power amp and use the RME.

You could buy a power amp as first step and just compare the front end using the Atom vs the RME. The Matrix Audio Mini pro 3 does look very appealing…

Not tried the Matrix Audio Mini pro 3, but I agree on paper it looks very appealing.
I have followed a similar route and currently running Node 2i>RME>NAP300DR. I have tried the Node 2i direct into the Nap, but I prefer the sound with the RME in between.

For me the Parametric EQ on the RME is really helpful.

Apparently the Matrix Audio Mini will be Roon ready this week. Some of the earlier issues with jitter have also been fixed through the latest update.

Still don’t see a detailed measurement of the unit, I was hoping ASR would review it soon.

Very tempted to pull the trigger nevertheless.

Good news @elevensheep , I like to see these emerging, innovative and sensibly priced products. Whilst it may not be a popular view on this forum, I also like to see how products test and ASR does serve a purpose in that respect.

You will have let us know how you get on if you buy the Matrix Audio Mini, it does look very neat :0)