Happy with the new Naim update

I agree there is definitely a sound change it’s more noticeable on songs with vocals which I only thought to test today. I like this vocals are definitely clearer without being harsh. Is this is more like new classic I can see why people like it. I hope future updates keep this sound.

1 Like

I’m glad other people using streamer as transport only are hearing this, definitely not all in our heads :laughing:

It does make you wonder if naim are applying DSP lessons learned with NC to OC, but there are also changes reported with 222/333 so there must be some element of “continual improvement” going on…. although not everyone is happy, I think the vast majority are.

2 Likes

I agree on vocals but struggle with them being let’s say … less smooth. My system had some sibilance in the past which I cured with cables … and a lot of sweat

I’m impressed figuring out how to tune your sound can be the hardest part. My speakers are very smooth especially with the ndac and naim dc1 cable.

2 Likes

my speakers are on the neutral side - when you found the sound after a lot of tuning it is a full win. very nice indeed!

1 Like

The HF is really much better for me but maybe that compensates for near 20 year old tweeters in my SBLs which may be more lackluster than they shoudl be - I have a spare set, maybe if they were installed it would be too much HF?

1 Like

Equally if it’s just binary data, surely a cheap streamer as a transport should sound the same? Far too many things do affect overall sound which on the face of it shouldn’t and don’t really make much sense as consumers.

Had 35 year SBLs before (now longer ago) - beware of the HF flush you get with new speakers.
In my case my room is a bit bright sounding… and has less „warm“ signature. If you can say so :rofl:

1 Like

My second system has nd5xs2/ndac/xps. Also noticed the sq change immediately. :blush:

3 Likes

Because as I understand it the effect if any is different in different setups so better not to say something you cannot verify. On the beta forum all comments on the different versions of 3.10 firmware has been possitive in terms of an sq compared to the latest 3.9 beta.

Claus

2 Likes

I totally admire the effort of listening to fw updates and the beta testing as well. Next time I really would like to join the beta-club.
Naim had done its best.

1 Like

Sorry, I’ve got a little lost with the latest ref Tidal Max and the recent firmware update. Unfortunately, my much-loved Arcam D33 DAC (I stream Tidal Max from a laptop via USB) decided to blow its internal fuses yesterday with no prior warning. This time last year my A28 amplifier did the same thing and Arcam said it needed a new toroidal transformer- unfortunately they no longer stock them. I’m therefore not hopeful that the D33 may be repairable either because it dates from similar time.

Assuming the worst I think I’ll be in the market for a streamer/DAC. There are numerous options out there but a new ND5 XS2 appears to be the most obvious. However, can someone please confirm the following:

1. with the latest updates will I now be able to stream Tidal Max (up to 192Khz) using either the Naim or Tidal apps on my I-pad through an ND5 XS2 without having to use any 3rd party ‘stuff’ such as Roon?
  2. has the latest firmware update caused a significant change to SQ as some have suggested?

Many thanks.

Well the answer is naim terms is that the SPDIF output is post DSP and clock quality is very important etc.

Streaming transports do not all sound the same.

Exactly, but I do wonder if the SPDIF output should be post DSP or if this should at least be defeatable.

It does mean, even as a transport, the ND5XS2/NDX2 are at the mercy of firmware tweaks.

I doubt naim will, on NP800, ever provide options on sound shaping, or room correction.

Perhaps something for future products running the iMX8 platform.

1 Like

If the DSP could be decoupled from the firmware with the ability to select current/historical DSP as downloadable options that woul be a nice feature but it’s probably far from that simple.

1 Like

Have listened for a few days now following the FW update and rebooted all components.
I’m a Roon user so wasn’t expecting much change and to be fair it’s subtle but nice.
To me the music is now emanating from a quieter background, if that is even possible, resulting mostly in a cleaner more contrasting/precise sound across all frequencies. Not sure Naim have turned up treble and turned down bass but not doubting anyone’s listening experience.
Of course, this could all be in my imagination – just glad it’s not unbalanced my system!

3 Likes

My Proacs haven’t been this happy in awhile! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I feel that naim have turned up bass and treble as well :smiling_face:

I agree with most of what you say, Iain.

But a digital transport is surely not Just ones and zeros (Unless this was a joke!).

Obviously, you know that these ones and zeros are a code that is actually embodied in voltage Changes.

Or did I just overlook a jest/irony on your part?