Harbeth

Same here. Love the bass and everything with them in my small room. The 250DR and 272 going from Supernait 3 was a major upgrade.

5m x 6m is quite a perfect size for the SHL5+. I’ve had the SHL5 and SHL5+ in a very big odd shaped lounge 8m x 20m, 3.5m x 5.2m dedicated room and 3.2m x 7m room. I find the placement of SHL5+ to be more room friendly in the sense it can be placed closer to walls without showing irregular or nasty bass response. Nevertheless, the SHL5+ still appreciates some space from the side walls and wall behind it.

Also, it is a matter of preference but I always prefer a far-field listening arrangement with the SHL5+, sitting at a considerable distance away from the speakers. I understand that the SHL5+ is capable of sounding admirably well in near field listening but I like an expansive, big and live sound which is made possible with some contribution (or colouration) from the room, reflected sound waves from the side walls. This does not apply to the Harbeth but other mid-sized speakers as well. In my current room I sit at approximately 3.6m away from the speakers, measured from front face of speaker to the ears.

The width of the room will determine how far you can push the speakers apart. This is the area which I need to compromise as the width of my current room is 3.2m.

I currently have the Marten Duke 2 as a substitute for the Harbeth SHL5+. Although the Duke 2 is a mid-sized speaker with 7 inch driver which puts out admirable bass, I am missing the low bass of the Harbeth SHL5+. It is a funny thing. I initially suspected the SHL5+ may be overloading the room a little before I got the Marten but after listening to the latter in the same space I figured out the bass of the Harbeth(in the smallish room) is actually not too bad.

1 Like

The strange thing about the Hartbeth speakers, is that it had something that no other speaker Bas. It is a certain open and airy sound, wich bring emotion. Just as I am curious to what other speakers can do, I did try a lot of other speakers. And the only speaker that would be able to replace my Hartbeths are the Diesis Aura, wich are 24 K (euro). As loyal as I am to the black boxes and the Hartbeth brand, I never understood a lot of there comments and advices on there products. If I should believe Alan Shaw, the Hartbeths do not need much power and any stand and cable will do. So Ryder, I was happy to read, you also conclude different; Each upgrade in amp makes the Hartbeth soooo much better. From moving up to the 300 DR, it was amazing what happened to the performance of the Hartbeths. And as at this moment the 500 DR are to expensive for my wallet, It will probably be a big jump to the Hartbeths also. Lots of audio lovers said to me, with your system, you should upgrade your speakers. Well, I do not agree. The Hartbeths will never go. Eh, maybe for the diesis. Nordost has a disc that helps the perfect placement of speakers. And it was amazing, how just a few milimeters made the wold of difference.

9 Likes

My experience is that Harbeths do need lots of power, but reward

It is good to read your post. I surely agree about the Harbeth bringing emotion. My current “reference” speaker the Marten Duke 2 sounds very good too but it has a different tone when compared to the Harbeth. The sound of instruments is slightly more lit with the Marten, a different tone. Similarly I find the Harbeth to play with a bit more emotion than the Marten. Difficult to describe in words what is this emotion all about but I guess we all know what it is. As I have mentioned earlier, the Marten Duke 2 has a more precise and clinical sound when compared to the Harbeth SHL5+. The Harbeth is slightly rounded in its presentation with a bit of warmth added to the tone which may have contributed to higher levels of emotion.

Yes, more power the better it gets. Started with Nait XS and the combination was very average (disappointing), 202/200 a lot better, 282/250DR much better. I don’t have the luxury to try the NAP 300DR though. Although I am aware that the 300DR is better, and there’s even better (500DR), we have to stop somewhere. I’m satisfied with the performance of the 250DR in the context of the system.

1 Like

I experienced the Marten Duke 2 about a year ago at a audio event. But very shortly and not in an ideal environment. But I could not believe the open sound and
smooth mids. And all this out of such a little speaker. I remember some music was playing with lots of strings, and the Martens were beautiful with it. I am certain that Tomorrow is my turn from Rhiannon Giddens will give goose bumps all over, with these speakers.

Out of curiosity (there’s no importer here), do they need it or just benefit from it?

No, no importer here, n-lot. And if, I guess it would be almost all importers. I need to buy my audio from 3 dealers, because they all have different importers. My VPI dealer has no connection with the importer of Hartbeth. My Hartbeth dealer and VPI dealer both do not have Nordost, etc. So it is not likely, I would have any connection. You can look up all brands and there importers, and find each spoke about brand is a different importer

I used my 40.2s with a NAP300DR (with a non-DR 552) and I found it to be a very capable amp with more than enough power. I don’t listen at very high volumes, so perhaps that is why it worked so well. Then I upgraded to a non-DR 500 and that is a whole different beast. So in my experience, 300DR great, non-DR 500 a whole lot better and I assume the 500DR will be a whole lot betterer again. I will know in a couple of years time.

1 Like

I recently had 30.2 40th Anniversary at home against my 30.1.

At first I was impressed with the 30.2 and felt it was an improvement across the board. However after extended listening I came to prefer 30.1. The top end or tweeter of the 30.2 was just too prominent for my taste. I preferred the overall balance and tweeter integration of the 30.1.

Many others I’m sure would prefer 30.2. Perhaps I am too used to the sound of 30.1 and didn’t give enough time for my brain to adjust to the new sound. I’ve always been a pipe and slippers kind of guy :smile:

2 Likes

I think n-lot has suffered from predictive text, nothing to do with importer more to do with importance

I ran Harbeth P3 ESR with a NAP 200, the sound was an improvement (though subtle) over my PMC FB1 , when I fed the speakers with 125 watts per channel, they loved it .

So in answer to your question they will perform well with reasonably powered amps but give them oodles of power and you get better results. I am afraid I can’t find on the Harbeth website (again) what I first found - and that was a comment that Harbeth had demoed speakers at Bristol with fairly basic Yamahas

The point being the Yamaha had oodles of power (but not as much finesse) and it sounded good. They now use Hegels which have lashings of power . Hope this answers your question .

I think if I was starting afresh to partner Harbeths I would look at different amps than normally appear on these pages, but that is my subjective and non-scientific view.

I also think if I was starting afresh I would choose PMC/ Tannoy/Neat or something else to balance Naim gear. I live near Lambourn and there are definitely horses for courses …

There are some proven tests, in wich is proven that not only the amount of power continuously drawn by a speaker, but the enormous difference of power demand between different types of music. There are speakers that work well with many types of music. But if the amp with this speaker is not very powerfull, some think these speakers are more suitable for jazz or accousic music. Instead of fire example electronic music. I started my speakers with a supernait 1, and did not like to hear a lot of music (for example radiohead). Not that it was sounding bad, but it was not as great as the accoustic music. The same speaker, with a different amp, made me love the electronic (more demanding music) sound just as great as the less demanding speakers. I do not know for wich speakers this theory works. But it does for my Hartbeths. Well, maybe boring stuff, but I found it revealing, in search why to upgrade or not etc.

I guess it is all about personal tast. And also about things like placement of the speaker and accoustic elements in the room etc etc. But it is a good thing you where hearing difference between the 30.1 and the universary model. When I moved from the HL 5 plus tot the 40th universary model I did not hear the difference. But I am and was with the new walnut look :wink:.

Same experience here. Supernait (same with 1, 2, 3) is ok but not more. 250DR much better. Control, headroom, everything get focus. Now I wonder what 300DR would add but very satisfied right now so will stay calm for a while :blush:

I did love the silver eucalyptus of the 40th Anniversary model. Those HL5+ look gorgeous in walnut. It’s annoying Harbeth recommend keeping the grills on when they look so good with the grills off!

My wife is so happy with the advice of keeping the grill on :joy::see_no_evil:

1 Like

Hi N lot, guess, I did not understand your comment. Misunderstood importer for importance :see_no_evil:. The Hartbeths run ok with lower power. But benefit from more power, depending the type of music. Maybe one good say, electronic music and rock need a little more power, if wanting the Hartbeths to perform at there potential

1 Like

Just make sure you don’t hear SHL5 + with 552/300DR… :grin:

Claude

2 Likes