Hardy Perennials – Which Albums Continually Please You?

Good to hear Richard.

I have been a forum member for about two & a half years &, considering the huge range of artists mention by forum members, I can only recall SOH being mention once, prior to their inclusion in this thread.

This surprises me considering the high quality, of both material & audio fidelity, of their work. Are forum members put off by the ‘folk’ tag? If so, I believe many are missing out on an extremely enjoyable listening experience.

This is coming from a long standing Floyd, EC, Genesis, Eagles, Steely Dan etc. fan.

2 Likes

I made a compilation tape for the car from the first Steely Dan album I purchased, their double Greatest Hits album, in 1979. I had only ever heard ‘Reeling in the Years’ & ‘Riki don’t loose that number’ (probably on the Tommy Vance Friday Rock Show) before buying the record. I was totally captivated by it.

The tape was continually played in all my cars, upgraded to a CD for the first one with a CD player & transferred to the hard drive in my current car. I still listen to it at least a half dozen time a year in the car.

I have an acquaintance who played/plays bass guitar in the Blues Band & he told me, years ago, that the only music he played in his car were his Steely Dan tapes!

So Steely Dans first greatest hits album certainly qualifies as ‘continually pleases me’.

1 Like

Sorry top use the same image twice and different threads, but it is relevant:

2 Likes

Erasure by Erasure

Peter Gabriel, Us

I’ve been a fan of his since the 80s. A beautiful album with powerful themes. And one of those that benefits from a better stereo

4 Likes

I love the work of Mike Oldfield, Michael Hedges, Pink Floyd, some of their albums I have played many times over the years, even today I listen to them with pleasure.

One good album, Steve Davis - Quality of Silence SACD.

Obviously I listen to many more but the mentioned came easily to my memory.

The Steve Davis album sounds very interesting…

1 Like

:rofl: :+1:

And another two good albums.

Batik - The old man and the sea

Paul Berner Band - Road to Memphis

Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick

2 Likes

Totally agree.
I’ve kept coming back to this album since 95.

4 Likes

Perfect piece of prog…just played it again from start to finish. Their best album…followed by The Lamb/ Foxtrot and Seconds Out.

7 Likes

G

5 Likes

Bought this for the cover art but love the music

Magnum - On A Storytellers Night

One of the first albums I bought with my own money

Meatloaf - Bat Out Of Hell

When I was in college my landlord introduced me to this

Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush - Live

Iron Maiden - Poweslave

and I can’t go long without playing this

Klaus Tennstedt / LPO - Mahler Symphony No 2 in C Min

1 Like

I’m not a fan of Show of Hands per se but that one album Arrogance Ignorance and Greed is fantastic. Everything gels for them, and like almost all the other albums I’ve listed there is not a bad track on it, and a good number of great tracks. I also love the simple, uncomplicated production. Great sound, great tunes, great lyrics. Highly recommended.

I could list a few, but this has been a constant source of profound enjoyment for exactly 50 years

220px-Fragile_(Yes_album)_cover_art

2 Likes

Fragile was the first Yes album I bought when I were a lad. Can’t say I’ve listened to them at all for a good few years. Maybe I’ll give this one another spin, now you’ve reminded me of it.

Four tracks in, and I just realized why I stopped listening to Yes… :grinning:

But if this thread has taught me anything, it’s the massive variation in people’s musical taste. Some people’s favorites are albums I can hardly bear to listen to (and I dare say vice versa). But there’s something for each of us, and long may that be the case.

1 Like

It would be a damn boring world if we all had identical taste.

The glory of this thread is discovering music I’d no idea existed.

2 Likes