Has anyone tried Graham LS5/9 with 282/250DR

Update.

Incoming

Outgoing

8 Likes

Do post a follow-up when you’ve had a chance to listen and run-in.

I’d be interested to hear how the LS5/9s compare with your Marten Duke 2s

Right. The Grahams are supposed to be used with the Naim in another room with poor acoustics and limited placement options, so I am currently trying them in the main system with the Luxman. Plonk and play without any effort in positioning since I didn’t want remove the current Marten stands from their place which I have painstakingly set up earlier. Stands resting directly on carpet without spikes.

Initial impressions, in comparison to the Harbeth SHL5+ the Grahams appear to share a fairly similar sound signature. Midrange sounds more incisive with more nuance and detail than the Harbeth. Less bass but not too bad.

In comparison to Marten Duke 2, treble sounds less airy and extended, less smooth. The treble of the Marten is smoother, more refined and extended. Silky with a delicate touch. I use piano music as a reference. As for the bass, both Graham and Harbeth have a bit of that “boxy” bass as the bass notes appear to resonate from a box. Not exactly a criticism. The bass of the Marten is tight, defined and free from boxiness. The stands supporting the Graham/Harbeth are very different from the Marten (lightweight open frame, spikes vs heavy mass-filled, Isoacoustics Gaia), so that may have made a difference.

I’ve yet to try the Graham with the Naim in the main system but it won’t be happening too soon. Too much work.

7 Likes

The Graham LS5/9 sounds more like a M30.2 than the SHL5+ but with an airier and more open presentation. It’s a more midrange-centric speaker than the Marten.

1 Like

Beautiful veneer on those speakers - is it rosewood?

It’s ebony.

1 Like

Further notes. After listening to the Graham (and also previously the Harbeth), I would have to say, either the Graham has the mid or upper bass lift which gives music with bass the punch and kick, or the Marten has recessed mid bass. Although the Graham does not go as low in the bass as the Marten, the mid bass is sticking out more. The punch and drive in the music are present although the sub is not connected to the Graham.

2 Likes

Thanks @ryder

Do you think it’s fair to say that the Marten’s work better with your Luxman than the LS5/9?

I assume the reverse when you hook up them up to your Naim kit.

Yes, Luxman surely works better with Marten than the LS5/9. The Marten is my reference, sounding very good with Luxman. The Graham is not far behind, enjoyable too with a different presentation. It’s a fun and bubbly character, not as refined and smooth as the marten but slightly livelier.

Will find time to try the Naim with the Graham, maybe next year. I’m done with speakers. Two good speakers which I can surely live with for a very long time. I prefer the Graham more than the Harbeth although it’s early impressions. With further optimisation and experiment, I am sure I will like the Grahams even more.

3 Likes

Update. I just installed the spikes to the stands of the Graham LS5/9. I’ll try to make this short.

Firstly, I find the bass and midbass on the Graham to be noticeably inferior to the Marten, with or without the sub. I’m not too critical about deep bass. It’s the mid bass that sounds a bit “boxy”. I get this with the Harbeth as well so perhaps it’s a trait with BBC thin-walled speakers. I’m not sure if the Isoacoustics Gaia will eliminate this unnatural sounding bass. The bass performance of the Duke 2 is on another level as it not only goes deeper but plays cleaner without the mid bass hump which to me is sticking out a bit too much at the moment. Perhaps the Isoacoustics Gaia may improve the bass of the LS5/9. I surely hope they do as I’ve just received the Gaia III today.

The Graham surely live up to the hype of true monitor speakers. Different recordings sound noticeably different through the speakers. Poor recordings sound poor, thin, rough or bright. Good recordings sound great - smooth and detail abundance. The LS5/9 doesn’t impose too much on the music unlike the Harbeth or even the Marten. The Duke2 sounds smooth and detailed with almost all music. Not the Graham. Some recordings which sound decent or good with the Marten sound terrible with the Graham. On the other hand, good recordings are a treat when played through the LS5/9.

Midrange of the Graham is very good.

I have to say, if you want all your music to sound pleasant, nice and smooth, the Harbeth will be more suitable as it will make everything sound smooth and pleasant. In other words it’s a more coloured speaker. The Graham will not flatter poor recordings and bring out all the warts. The Marten also sounds smooth with most music but it does it in a highly sophisticated way.

Update 2:
Treble quality of the Marten is better than Graham. The treble of the LS5/9 just like the SHL5+ does not have the refined delicate touch of the Duke 2. The notes sound less airy and extended and do not have the same level of smoothness. In comparison, the quality is slightly rougher. This is not exactly a criticism but the reality is the Marten sounds exceptional and very special. Once the comparison was made, one will eventually sound better while the other one less impressive although still good.

2 Likes

Thanks for the detailed review @ryder

I’m looking for another pair of speakers for my second system.

I’ve not heard the Graham’s, but from your findings I don’t think I can stray away from Martens now.

Now considering the Parker Duos for system 2…

1 Like

Marten Parker Duo in the second system. I wish I had the luxury. I’ll have to make do with the Graham LS5/9.

I’ve just switched to a Luxman DAC (from a Chord QBD76) to warm things up and so far it’s working.

Currently the Luxman L-590AXII and DA-06 are used with the Graham. Will try Naim some time.

1 Like

Some pics of the Marten and Graham in the same room.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.