Has anyone tried Sorbothane hemispheres under streamers or amps?

Generally 3 feet are much prefereable to 4 for stability if the feet are rigid, giving no risk of rocking due to imperfect contact - just not necessary with sorbothane because it deforms quite a bit, however the cost point is a good one.

I believe you. However I was talking about rigid feet as isoacoustics devices under Mike S components or my finite elemente cerapucks under the tube pré.

1 Like

Ah, sorry, cross-purposes :grinning:

1 Like

My setup there exactly (albeit the glass is part of a Stands Unique rack,). Happy with it.

Likewise, Sorbothane hemispheres under both my Cisco switch and MusicWorks mains block.

Does it make any difference? No idea, but on his last visit to Chez Dave, my dealer suggested that isolating them from my suspended wooden floor might not be a bad thing, and they’re hardly expensive.

As for the main racks, well, I do rather agree with @anon4489532 that Naim take great care to ensure that Fraim will bring out the best in the kit, without further tweaks from the user.

Mike, I have not seen clearly your pic. The isoacoustics are not under the naim feet, so it’s perfect. If you have not enough for all components, you can try 3 only per component. It’s sounds the same, even can sound better.

I did post this a while ago…but worth restating
I put 3 sorbothane feet under the (quite hard) feet fitted to my Rega P8 …and noticed a huge improvement in sound , from improved clarity to reduced noise floor

Hi Mike
is that a random shot from Google Images?
or something you snapped?

can you explain what it’s showing?
is that a rack (what type?) with glass shelves?
with another piece of hardened 10mm glass suspended by 4 cup and ball units (made by whom)?
with Iso Acoustics Orea under the feet?

thanks
Jim

What rack did you have then?

I heard that sitting it on carpet works well too.

Were the sorbothane feet large flat discs, or what?
How did they work under the feet of the TT?

@JimDog

No posh MusicWorks G3 mains block, and no sparkly bottom here, I’m still slumming it with the previous Reflex Lite MusicWorks block.

My dealer isn’t hugely impressed by the G3, so I took his advice and went for the cheapo option … well, for now anyway! :man_shrugging:

1 Like

A wooden stand, looked nice, but was probably not optimum for audio isolation.

1 Like

Some years ago, if you remember- Vertex Kinabalu had good reviews.

A1C392B8-4459-49F4-B628-099F5B30F548-478-0000004DF6CB903B

They ran with the principal of using two more softer supports with one hard to act as a sink of case born vibrations aided by that granite.

I tried something similar with two sorbothane pods and The bottom half of a Nordost pulsar point that worked out at just the right size with a granite shelf.
This worked out at a fraction of the price Vertex were charging.
Had great results on some music, but different on others - in that the effectiveness relied on the exact positions.
This had me often getting up and fiddling with the positions whilst playing different music, instead of me just sitting there and forgetting about them enjoying the music.

Yes, that’s not workable.
It would have to be fit and test, then forget about it.
So you’d want something that gave a general uplift in SQ regardless of what type of music was played.

I personally didn’t like granite under Naim components. I gives a bit bright sound. However under turntables, my 5 cm granite slab was and is successful.

Hi Jim, yes, sorry, that was a random Google shot in response to FR’s comment.

My system is like this:

My plan is to put sets of three Orea’s under the SN2 and NDX2 on the top glass shelf, and leave the bottom shelf as it is.

Were the sorbothane feet large flat discs, or what?
How did they work under the feet of the TT?

@JimDog

A bit like this in fact
All stood on my tigerpaw valkan

1 Like

You are going to put biscuits under your SN2 and NDX2?……:wink:

Maybe you meant to post this in the ‘Crumbs!’ thread.

4 Likes

I wonder if the ps would not benefit more from isolation than sn2 and ndx2. For me it works better under ps. However my nds is already well decoupled on bouncing inner platform.