Has Naim changed the format of its ripped files?

As usual, I am having trouble displaying the Naim Uniti Core files that I have ripped. I am using Windows 10 Pro File Manager.

When I click on Network it displays Naim Uniti Core but when I click on that I get a black screen.

Instead, I click on “This PC”, and again I see a heading for Network. Under Network I see Naim Uniti Core. I do get a display this time when I click on Naim Uniti Core, but it is a totally unfamiliar format consisting of folders named Albums, Artists, Composers, Conductors, Genres, Last Played, Most Played, Newest CDs, etc.

This looks nothing like the old file organization. What has happened to the old file organization?

It sounds like you’re seeing the output from a UPNP server in the core, rather than entering it’s file system. I can do this with my QNAP NAS if I go in through File Explorer’s “Network Locations” section which shows all Network resources, not just file systems.

As I don’t have a Core I don’t know where you go from here. If you know the path to your Core files pop that into the address bar and you should see what you’re expecting. @davidhendon seems to know a lot about the Core, hopefully he’ll be along shortly with a real solution.

As these are files that you have ripped, the Core will organise them in its preset arrangement, which cannot be changed. You do not need to access them via the computer, only to select and play them using the Naim app. You would only access the Core if you were adding downloads to its downloads folder.

I stopped being able to see files on my Music Server, and it transpired it was because of a “fix” in Windows 10 that prevented it seeing my server.

Western Digital have published a fix, # How to Enable SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support on Windows 10.

Not sure is this is the issue or not, but it worked for me.

Hi Janet I hope you are keeping well?

I’m not sure what you are trying to do! If I remember rightly you don’t have a Naim streamer, so presumably you are using the Core as a network ripper/store and taking a digital output to a DAC and then onto your amplifier?

If that is right then you should be controlling the playing of the Core with the Naim app for IOS or Android. You are only allowed to edit rips you made with the Core via the Naim app. But on the other hand you can only edit things you have added into the downloads folder with a pc or MAC.

The behaviour you describe sounds like you aren’t actually connecting via the network. The best way to do it is to go to explorer and then type \\Core IP address\ and you should get your familiar file structure under the Music and Downloads main folders. You can get the Core’s IP address in lots of different ways, but I guess you know that from previous adventures trying to access the Core!

If you are wanting to look at the files in the downloads folder or the Music/MQ where Core’s own rips are stored, then it must be via the network. The description in the online guidance Naim provides is correct. You use Windows Explorer rather than a browser. You shouldn’t see the Core as a device (and if you do then you will get a web server which shows a blank black page). You should see the downloads and Music folders sitting on your network and you should be able to browse them in the normal way. You will find the Music/MQ folder is locked, but you can copy things that are there if you want.
Once you have found your folders this way, it’s a good plan to “map” them in Windows and you shouldn’t have to worry about it again.

Best

David

That shouldn’t be the problem here because the Core doesn’t need SMB1 (although Unitiserve and HDX do).

Best

David

Sorry to be so slow in responding. As always, David, you are ever so ready to show up and be helpful which is very much appreciated… As for me, I’m doing okay, though as usual, tech challenged.

I wound up paying a tech company to sort the problem. Whether coincidental or not, the problem disappeared after I updated the Core to the latest firmware. As a result the tech could display the now familiar file folders and access them normally. Just don’t ask me to explain it all. Until the suggestion to check for firmware, the Core did not show up on the Network, and the tech keep poking around without any sign he knew what he was doing and I couldn’t help but think I was paying him for on the job training rather than results. Thanks to my nephew for providing the key to resolve the issue by suggesting we check for the latest firmware. Once updated, the Core showed up and with its familiar folders as expected.

BTW, I am using both Naim and Roon and probably will continue to do so. Roon remains problematic because the Naim generated WAV metadata is not “readable” by Roon so I’ve essentially lost all my meticulously groomed metadata in the transfer to Roon. SongKong has the means to translate WAV metadata generated by the UnitiServe but not my Uniti Core, however a fix is in progress and hopefully I will be able to recover my metadata!
That said, nothing is perfect. Roon edits do not change the underlying metadata so I will be left with a similar problem, metadata edits that cannot be transferred!

I may continue to put my Naim Uniti Core to use as a ripper. Then
submit to SongKong to massage the metadata and then pass to Roon. But that is theoretical as it is too soon to be sure.

I am pretty certai I already mentioned to you that extracting the meta from your naim wav files is a doodle using MP3TAG. Then roon will pick them up just fine.

naim wav files dont contain any metadata (they are in separate files) so mp3tag dosnt help you.

Yes it does. It works perfectly. With a few commands you can ask MP3TAG to take elements of the titles of the tracks (which the naim software does well) and build tags from them. I did my entire naim library with it when moving from a NS02.

Which Naim files were input to mp3tag?

If you are asking me I dont understand what you mean.

You have mentioned more than once that you have no way to use your naim wavs files outside of naim, I am telling you, that you can.

In two scenarios, you can listen to those files, both require MP3TAG

Scenario one, use this input string in MP3TAG to add tags to your WAVs based on the WAVs filename:

%albumartist%%album%%dummy%%track% - %title%

Once done your various UPNP servers/Roon etc will pick up those files just fine.

Scenario 2, is first do Scenario 1, then using an audio file convertor to then change those wavs into FLAC, for future security.

You are only extracting information from the filename, this is at best limited to artist/album/trackno/title. This is useful but can be error prone, and is not the same as being able to access the more detailed metadata that naim can get from lookup but stores in separate files rather then the wav itself.

Yes Paul, thats obvious. The point is for those that don’t have naim any more or want to use their naim ripped wavs elsewhere, this is a solution and it certainly then gives better tools a fighting chance to get better meta data for them.

Of course the actual answer is, dont rip to WAV because it “might” sound a bit better.

Its obvious to me gary but your post was misleading (it certainly confused echolane) the above sentence certainly reads that you can extract the metadata from inside the wav file itself with Mp3Tag, when in fact you cannot.

I never typed that in anyway!

I find the one upmanship on this forum bizarre, I was simply offering a free solution to a problem people often run into.

There is no attempt at one upmanship here simply trying to clarify your misleading post. My quopte doesnt seem to be word for the same as what you wrote now, I dont understand why it is slightly different maybe it was changed since I replied since I just used the quote button.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.