Hauntingly beautiful songs

A bit slushy, but ‘No Regrets’ by Tom Rush always gets me.

1 Like

Not a song, but words aren’t always needed.

Ravel - Le Gibet.

1 Like

A real tigress, a man-eater, that lady (even though tigers are not native to her South America).

I bought a recently released, lovely 5LP box of some of her Deutsche Grammophon recordings not too long ago, which circumstances beyond my control have stopped me listening to yet. I’m looking forward very much to doing so.

It’s also possible to obtain an EMI LP of her earliest ever solo piano recordings, which had sat unreleased for sixty-odd years. She recorded the sessions under Suvi Raj Grubb, but then had a terminal falling out with EMI (I said above that she’s a tiger lady) before the LP could be released. She moved to Deutsche Grammophon and re-recorded most (or all) of what was on the EMI tapes, and those recordings appeared on her ‘Debut Recital’ for DGG.

She is now back on the EMI roster of artists, so that must have smoothed the way for the release of that earliest LP.

It will be fascinating (I hope) to compare the EMI and DGG LPs.

1 Like

Anneke von Geirsbergen - (ex The Gathering) -

2 Likes

All About You · Sophie Zelmani

Soul

℗ 2011 Sony Music Entertainment Sweden AB

Released on: 2011-11-21

Producer: Lars Halapi

4 Likes

Eivor Palsdottir -

3 Likes

This!

4 Likes

Sorry, I’m missing the precise context as this thread has snowballed beyond my ability to give most replies the respect they deserve.

1 Like

Very nice.

1 Like

Which was by Lisa Gerrard, I believe… :expressionless:

Clearly, each to their own… :thinking:

1 Like

Well I guess Dead Can Dance explored lots of musical styles.

I downloaded some of their early stuff and really enjoyed the music, I found later releases more challenging to enjoy, but it may be worth revisiting as our tastes change and evolve.

1 Like

Well… Hans Zimmer is highly regarded. He has ‘done’ quite a few movie soundtracks… Which have been admired by some:

Perhaps not to your taste…? But not ‘awful’ - IMO… :expressionless:

Trying to be Agreeable

1 Like

As for Hans Zimmer, one of the great modern composers, ‘The Last Samurai’ is probably my favourite score of his but he has so many!

As I posted previously:

Apologies, I didn’t mean to sound disagreeable if it came across that way, not my intent at all.

1 Like

Accepted. Thank you… :slightly_smiling_face: Appreciated.

There are many styles of music - a lot of which I do not like. But I leave them be. There are also particular works or performances, by artists who I admire and follow - but sometimes… Just no.

(I have not seen Gladiator - but having recently dipped back into DCD and thence, Lisa Gerrard - I just wondered if it was one she had been involved in.)

1 Like

How about “Oh my sweet Carolina “ by Ryan Adams
Then “Sweet old world” Lucinda Williams?

2 Likes

To reply to your post from yesterday, we were discussing the fiery Martha Argerich, and her habit (early in her career) of falling out with record companies, with particular reference to her long-unissued EMI first LP that she went on to re-record (as her ‘Debut Recital’) for DGG.

1 Like
2 Likes

It most certainly was! Gladiator is a superb soundtrack. We have it on CD and daughter#2 bought it for my birthday on double LP!

OTOH that Eivor Palsdottir is lovely. She’s going to need some serious study in the new year! :slight_smile:

4 Likes