Hauntingly beautiful songs

There are already many great choices on this thread. For Sandy Denny I’d always choose Fotheringay. From Damien Rice’s O, I’d have to choose Cold Water. But it’s David Hendon who has chosen THE one: Im Abendrot from Richard Strauss’s Four Last Songs. I have numerous copies of these pieces. I’m still trying to decide which one, but one of these will be played at my funeral.

5 Likes

Beth Hart, Leave the Light On

4 Likes

On Battleship Hill - PJ Harvey, complete with ethereal voice

9 Likes

Wow… Some great songs & artists already here…! But… I have one…

Written by Richard Thompson, this version is by Richard & Linda, from their debut album, I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight - The Great Valerio…

7 Likes

Thanks for starting this thread AC; I am going to be in grave danger of rapidly using my ration of ‘likes’ here …so many!
For me, one that always stands out is Song to the Siren from This Mortal Coil - shivers every time, linked to memories of the days .

8 Likes

Solitaire - the Carpenters version. Karens voice is just wonderful.

4 Likes

Jussi Björling & Robert Merrill – The Pearl Fishers.

I grew up listening to this, my dads favourite recording.

9 Likes

Donny Hathaway - A Song For You

It’s not always about the song, but the song/interpretation.

3 Likes

For me standout is Judie Tzuke - Stay with me till dawn

11 Likes

No one does fragile beauty like Hope Sandoval…

6 Likes

Hi @Alley_Cat
JTC is a staggeringly good album.
Great thread starter! And great choices for hauntingly beautiful songs.

I’d also agree This Mortal Coil’s version of Song to the Siren has to be right up there.
A lot of Liz Fraser’s stuff could qualify!!
Teardrop (Massive Attack)
Downside Up (Peter Gabriel)
Etc etc
I’ll add my vote for the Cocteau Twin’s Heaven or Las Vegas album. The whole thing!!

5 Likes

Thanks for al the great suggestions so far - have some catching up to do when I get some quality listening time.

1 Like

Sinead O’Connor’s - Drink Before War

Although I knew her by name, I have only recently discovered Kate Bush’s music. I really like this one:

12 Likes

For me - Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want by The Smiths. Used to get me big time when I was young.

6 Likes

Used to great effect in the Clint Eastwood film “Play Misty for Me”, Roberta’s performance here is just stunning and always reduces me to a puddle of goo…

10 Likes

Great thread! Trees, ‘The Garden of Jane Delawney’ written by Bias Boshell and sung by Celia Humphris.
Gardenjd
Françoise Hardy covered this too. It sounds like a folksong, but it is an original composition.

2 Likes

Bryan Ferry - Carrickfergus

3 Likes

King Crimson - Matte Kudasai

3 Likes

Karen Matheson - The Glory Demon
Although there are a number of tracks on “Still Time” which qualify.

Emma Ruth Rundle - Citadel
The album “Engine of Hell” is one I crack out every time we upgrade and discover something new in intonation or rhythm.

Janis Ian - Tea and Sympathy
From her most enjoyable body of work.

Slowgold - Aska
Not sure what this one is about but I love it (and the album)

2 Likes