Have I created a problem for myself?

I know that for quite a few years now, Troels Gravesen (DIY speaker designer) has used a pair of Quad ESL 2812 as a reference for mid/tweeter driver integration. I’ve never heard a pair but I’d really like to.

1 Like

Jaybar, I recall being very tempted years ago by Celestion SL600s. They had a metal domed tweeter (beryllium or some other exotic make-up), and even an exotic metal alloy cabinet, if I’m not mistaken. I passed on them at the time, as I had no use for them.

@anon70766008 Your description was correct. The cabinets had a metal sandwich construction. The cats jumped on the speakers and even with blue tack, knocked them off the stands. Once dented, Sonics were affected and also the tweeter was damaged. The SL 700 were mechanically bolted to the stands as are today’s Focal 906.

I could not afford the SL700 as a replacement. Shortly after they were discontinued. They were a great match with my Spectral gear at the time. When Spectral first was introduced, it was relatively affordable. Spectral even had its own MC cartridge. Those were different times.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.