Have you ever had a musical epiphany? please share yours

Playing ‘Kid A’ by Radiohead on my CD5 for the first time. Wow!

2 Likes

Apologies, thought you said Puch and Wagner were joint favourites…we both need some Wagnerisation then! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yes, I’ve looked in the opera thread. I feel like a noob there…!

1 Like

Being a Naim forum, I have to say it was the first time I heard a Naim amp :grinning: :grinning:

2 Likes

Wierd: I typed Verdi - or intended to: iPad clearly has a musical aversion and substituted, without my checking back! Posr amended now.

2 Likes

Innocent_Bystander and steviebee

I’m going to have to listen to some Puccini now after you guys taking about it. Where to start ?

Turandot!!!

If you’re not already into opera I’d say best go and see a live performance - but not easy at the best of times, and of course impossible at the moment. And sung in Italian. Assuming you don’t want to wait, next best would probably be a video of a live performance if you can find one to stream or download (with subtitles). And I suggest at least reading a synopsis of the plot before listening. If only audio is available I find that with an unknown opera a copy of the libretto with an English translation can be useful to follow as well.

2 Likes

I’d try IL Trittico (three short operas. Home of the beautiful Mio Babbino Caro aria. All are really good), Butterfly or La Boheme. They’re all great.
Turandot is a given.
Then Tosca and Manon :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

We’ll get to La Fianciulla (sp?) later…his Wild West one!

1 Like

Interesting, and something quite moving about the image you have conjured.

I am not into visual art, not really getting what other people see in pictures, with few exceptions, but nevertheless the concept of a group of people of different cultures linked by a common interest, learning about each others’ art and culture (and food) sounds really nice- and the initially eerie then soulful experience you described sends a (pleasant) shiver up my spine.

1 Like

Coincidentally a live streaming of Tosca by Met Opera was scheduled for tomorrow, and I had tickets to see it in a local arts theatre, to try that as a substitute for the real thing for the first time - sadly cancelled (at both ends).

1 Like

Shame. But… you’ll love it when do you do see it live. Thrilling stuff…and the church warden in the first act is a hoot…

1 Like

For clarification, I have seen Tosca live, though some years ago. I was just looking forward to trying the live screening in a theatre venue as a substitute for true live.

2 Likes

I echo your sentiment with JS.
Sometimes I wonder what is it about his music - is it the melancholy atmosphere?
For me, I was transfixed for an early age, then in my late teens, I shared a house with a women who had studied in Helsinki. We had wonderful discussions about the music. It was twenty years before I met any Fins - then it was Sibelius that cemented the friendship.

2 Likes

@Camphuw
The melancholy, the wilderness, that sense of being in a vast, forested landscape where Nature broods in its silence…and the nobility in failure of heroes in travelling these lands…all of that! And more…

Love it

3 Likes

a Beautifully uplifting story

2 Likes

I have the same feeling with Terry Riley
Rainbow In Curved Air

Love 18 too.

3 Likes

The Beatles in Toronto 1964. It wasn’t a musical epiphany as one couldn’t hear any music. I learned that it was important to not go to a concert with screamers.

1967, The Brandenburg Concertos demonstrated that despite there being no God, one could believe it possible.

In 1968, 2001 A Space Odyssey showed me the power of music and story.

In 1968, The Band showed that musicianship and craft makes a difference.

In 1972 I heard Mahler’s 8th symphony which taught me the value of the human voice as an instrument heard through a Fisher amplifier and small Advent speakers.

It’s been fantastic.

2 Likes

Saw the same tour at Luton Odeon.

1 Like

I love that album; it gets played from time to time here!

2 Likes

Hmm an epiphany . . . probably not because music has been with me my entire life. My parents bought me several Beatles 45’s when I was 3. It’s just always been there. A language I was born knowing.

Two of the more interesting musical experiences were during my first year at university - 600 miles away from home and culturally very different (Boston, rather than Virginia). That year I saw live at my uni both the J. Geils Band (all the kids from South Boston in the audience were going CRAZY) and I’d never heard of the band before, and The Ramones at the pub on campus. Again with the Ramones – what the HELL was this?? I never did develop any sort of fondness for punk, but seeing them perform was quite something!

And at uni I had an experience weirdly similar to @harper Saw Chuck Mangione live, while suffering with a fever from the flu, and we’d taken a small amount of lsd. My fever broke during the concert. Definitely an ODD experience, not recommended to repeat. But my illness was gone the next day.

2 Likes

Discovered Chuck Mangione courtesy of Birmingham Central Library, borrowing all sorts of lps, around 1979 and taping them. Live at the Hollywood bowl , great album.

1 Like