HDMI ARC on Samsung TV stopped working with my Atom

There have been a lot of fixes in the 3.5 release for various TV models for HDMI-ARC.
(Seems to be a real effort to support different vendors, models, generations, … so much for “standard”.)

Sad to hear, they broke it for your cases… hope they get it fixed soon.

Thanks for you reply @Richard.Dane

Just reached out to Naim’s support too.

1 Like

Thanks @vdonev

I just sent an email too, to their support. Do you know which version and build that worked? I’m thinking if we could get hold of that version and run that until it has been fixed :smiley:

Unfortunately I didn’t keep track of the previous version, sorry. I am therefore sentenced to use the optical cable until our friends from NAIM fix the issue… :wink:

1 Like

There is no mystery about the previous version of the firmware that worked for you. It’s almost certainly the previous release version.

You may be able to persuade Naim technical support to tell you how to roll back to the previous release, but they mostly don’t do that so would need an overwhelming reason. Anyway the only gateway to the previous version is Naim support.

Best

David

1 Like

Just heard back from Naim support. Seems to be related to the new Samsung software running on the TV.

“This issue was something that was introduced by Samsung with its latest update, here’s link to a thread with people having similar issues,

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/q90r-audio-broken-after-1361-firmware-update/td-p/1855497

From what I understand, Samsung is aware of this and are currently working on a fix.”

1 Like

Thank you @gudding, this is very interesting. Indeed, the 1361 is my current Samsung firmware as well…let’s hope that Samsung will be responsive on this…

Just a quick update here, @vdonev . Just hang up with Samsung Call center. They remotely reseted my HDMI ports while everything was unplugged from the tv. Not sure exactly why, but that was step one. This did not solve the issue.

Step two, if no success, was to roll back to the older samsung software version or “deploy a fix” (not sure actually what the support guy said, but got the impression that they knew how to fix it), which they also could do remotely from their call center support.

Too bad I called five mins before closing hours, so I had to reach out to them again tomorrow morning to get help with rolling back the old version/new fix.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the heads-up @gudding! I’ll try to do the same tomorrow but given that I am based in Paris I’ll need to reach out to the French call center…very curious to hear their feedback. Could you please do me a favour: if your issue is fixed tomorrow, could you ask the Samsung technicians about the firmware they used or the reference of the batch they applied? This is for the (highly likely) case if the French call center tells me “we can’t do anything”… :wink:
Many thanks again!

1 Like

Absolutely!

Well, spoke to Samsung support in France this morning. Unfortunately (and as expected) the call center guys have no clue about electronics and rather read a cript on their screens. Asked me to do a factory reset, 20 mins of re-parametering everything, the HDMI issue still there (surprise, it’s the same firmware! :nerd_face: ) and concluded that the problem should come from the Atom. When I gently stressed the fact that I saw dozens of similar cases on their forum impacting different equipments and brands they agreed to escalate “to a technician” and to call me back. I put a 95% probability that I won’t hear back from them at all…if I do I’ll let you know.

I see! Thanks for the update :pray:

Seems that you need some luck with the support. The guy I spoke to this morning said that he wasn’t eligible to do the update himself. So he created a ticket with their product team - the only ones that could roll back to earlier software versions.

It sounds like both of us pretty much got the same answer.

However, the ticket has been created and Samsung said I could expect an answer within 3 working days… I asked for high priority :slight_smile:

Same as you, I’ll keep this thread updated as soon as hear back from Samsung’s product team.

1 Like

Thank you, keeping my fingers crossed! :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Just heard back from the product team at samsung. They asked if I could connect another device to the HDMI ARC output. I don’t have another device to try with.

The only thing I could try was with a friend’s chrome cast. Connected it to the TV first, installed it, and ran both video and audio on the TV. Then plugged it into the Naim Atom HDMI port. Tried to stream to the chrome cast both from Youtube and Spotify via my iPhone. No sound output from the Naim Atom.

Have you tried something similar? Or the thing Samsung mentioned - to get the Samsung sound via the HDMI ARC output to another device than the Naim? Anyone? What about you, @vdonev

Hi @gudding,

I have always been a big fan of the hot potatoe game… :wink:
I already tried the other Samsung TV HDMI ports, nothing worked but this is not a big surprise. I have a chromecast as well but it’s the audio only version, no HDMI on it. I will try tomorrow to connect my DVD player, I believe it has a HDMI port. Will let you know tomorrow…

All this story reminds me of William d’Orange’s quote: “One need not hope in order to undertake, nor succeed in order to persevere!”

Putting a normal HDMI to an Uniti/Streamer won’t work. Must be an ARC enabled port; typically only in TVs and maybe (?) receivers/soundbars.

Well, two additional tests this morning. First, connected my DVD/CD Sony player to the Atom via HDMI: still nothing and the « no input signal » message on the Atom. The Sony player connected to the Samsung TV HDMI port works perfectly and streams audio flawlessly. Second, connected my Orange Livebox to the Atom, again via HDMI…and the Livebox has an ARC HDMI! No better luck, no sound and the same « no input » message.

With all this I am still a bit confused but I would put a bet on the NAIM firmware as the problem. BTW, I got zero feedback to the e-mail sent a week ago to the NAIM support…a bit disappointing…

Thanks for sharing and testing different setups, again @vdonev

I went to the reseller in Stockholm today asking for more help. They “had a guy” to reach out to in cases like this. He said that someone will contact me on Mon. Not sure if I’m expecting anything magic to happen after that call, but as usual, I’ll update this thread if we manage to make progress in any way.

Hey!

I brought my Naim Atom to a friend today. Wanted to make sure we could get some audio from HDMI port. I connected it via the TVs ARC output to the Naim. It worked perfectly.

The Samsung is 3-4 years old and is obviously not running the same 1361 software as my TV does

My friend’s tv software version:

So I guess I’m glad that the Naim works. I will
Let Samsung know about this.

2 Likes

Identical issue with me. My Uniti Nova stopped working with Samsung tv after Samsung firmware update to 1361. It had been working flawlessly up to that point. Samsung even had engineers round who replaced the tv’s motherboard etc. They said it was definitely a software issue on the TV side. I was told to keep checking for firmware updates every day. It’s been about 2 weeks since it all went kapput.

2 Likes