HDX 2TB Download Folder Transfers

Right, I’ve got my HDX serviced and upgraded to 2Tb with a download folder showing in the desktop client app. But, I can’t transfer music to it. I’ve tried plugging a seagate hard drive into the USB port on the back. The desktop client recognizes it and shows the music content but there’s no way I can find to copy it to the HDX download folder. It is plugged to the router using an ethernet cable.

If you know the IP address of your HDX and you’re using a Windows PC then you can hold down the Windows key and R (which will open the ‘Run’ box) and then type

\\192.168.1.5\Downloads

(Obviously replace 192.168.1.5 above with the real IP address of your HDX)

This will open a window where you can drag and drop music files directly into the HDX’s download folder

As mattl says, you are supposed to access the downloads folder on an HDX using a PC or Mac. You may need to enable the SMB1 protocol on your PC if you are using Windows 10 because this is required to talk to the HDX which uses Windows XP Embedded and is turned off by default in Windows 10 for security reasons. In any case you don’t need the DTC programme for this task.

(For other readers, it’s the same for US and NS0x but you don’t need to do this for UnitiCore.)
Best

David

I’m doing the stuff you’ve suggested now but why can’t I just plug the Seagate drive into the USB port and transfer the hi-res files to the HDX download folder? I can play them from the external drive through the USB port.

Just because the software hasn’t been written that way.

Best

David

I’m off down the rabbit hole now - getting this message:

You can’t connect to the file share because it’s not secure. This share requires the obsolete SMB1 protocol, which is unsafe and could expose your system to attack.
Your system requires SMB2 or higher. For more info on resolving this issue, see: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=852747

Yes well I did say that you need SMB 1. Its easy to re-enable and you can turn it off again afterwards if you are that bothered about security. Googling it will show you how to turn it on.

Best
David

You just need to connect the drive to a USB port on your computer rather than a port on the HDX. Then it’s a simple file copy.

All done. Thanks David. This takes me back to when I was programming computers that used MNAP (an 18 bit word!) and ferrite core store - 8k of memory about the size of a NAP250. HDX was supposed o be a way of painlessly migrating crusty old vinyl types to the world of digital natives. It is old-ish tech, I admit. You wait till you’m old.

I am already old unfortunately! I remember in 1971 my Uni Maths Dept main computer going offline for two weeks to have its RAM upgraded from 16 kB to 64 kB…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.