HDX-SSD / Uniti Core Mash Up

Thanks Gazza… I have already been ripping to FLAC with the HDX for some years so that has that aspect of a transition covered off.

I sometimes use SongKong to help me (manually) correct metadata that the HDX missed so that feature of the Melco would be useful and Minimserver would be good given we have quite a lot of Classical and Jazz recordings.

1 Like

Thanks David… If I can’t create a folder for the HDX to use as a Music Store on it then its probably a non-starter.

The Core creates a Music/MQ to use as its own music store and a downloads folder. For downloads which you can add directly from your network. Legacy rips get imported into the Music/MQ if the Core is convinced they came from a Naim server or the downloads folder otherwise.

Thinking about this, I think you probably can create another folder called, say, HDX and it probably would be visible on the network. If it is visible then you might be able to promote it to the HDX music store but I’m not sure that the Core would scan it. You might have to name it as a music share for the Core. I rather suspect that it wouldn’t work because no-one ever expected anyone to do this.

Why are you trying to keep the HDX going? If you buy a Core then you can move all the music to that and sell the HDX. I have read the initial post again and I can see what you are saying, but a Core would be a very expensive NAS and I think it doesn’t make much sense to try to do things that way to be honest.

:slightly_smiling_face:

Well I do like it quite a lot… but you are likely right that I should move on…

It would be a very expensive NAS… and in that context pointless I agree… it was just to be used in this configuration as a stop gap until I could get an NDX2.

All the responses have been very helpful - thank you - and have somewhat piqued renewed interest in the Melco - probably a N100 as that will fit into the only space left in my rack (as would a Core for that matter).

Looks like I will either buy a cheap and quiet NAS or bite the bullet and move away from the HDX to an NDX2 with NAS or dedicated server like Melco/Core.

Best,

John

Well good luck with whatever you decide and if you do end up trying an unconventional way of using the Core, I would be very interested to hear how you get on.

Thanks David.

Will do.

Cheers,

John

Can anyone clarify how the BNC to BNC would work from a Uniti Core to an NDX2? If the NDX2 is wired to the network, is there a benefit in a BNC connection and can they be connected at the same time. I also run Roon but understand that uses the uPnP via the network only. Could I retain Roon for internet streaming and use the Naim app for the Core to NDX2 via BNC streaming without unplugging the Ethernet lead, and would there be a benefit in sound quality? Maybe @ChrisSU or @davidhendon?

I tried it with a Naim cable bnc to bnc, preferred ethernet. You just have to play from the Core “room” rather than NDX2 “room” snd have the input enabled…….if i remember correctly no album artwork either. So all in all……nothing there for me. Yes you need ethernet connected, not a roon user myself.

1 Like

Both boxes require a network cable in any case, so I can see no benefit in an additional SPDIF connection unless you hear a subjective sound quality improvement. Which you might, of course, and I guess it would be easy enough to test with a coax or Toslink cable but it’s not something I’ve tried.
I did try a similar experiment some years ago with my Unitiserve into an NDX, and is sounded OK but probably not quite as good as UPnP.

1 Like

To add to the above replies, if you are using the bnc to bnc lead, the Core is being used as a hard disc player and you control music from the Core pages in the Naim app and if you are using the local Ethernet/WiFi connection then you use the NDX2 pages of Naim app and the servers button to control the music. The two work quite independently of each other and you can use both at the same time, for example to have the Core playing into the NDX2 by bnc and serving different music remotely over the network ethernet/WiFi connection to say a muso or Atom or 272 elsewhere in the house.

2 Likes

Happy New Year All.

Just by way of an update on this thread, in the end I replaced my old NAS with a new Synology DS220J (fitted with a couple of IronWolf drives) and used this for a short while with the HDX until that too was replaced with a NDX2. Any CD rips that I have needed to do since then have been done on my computer using dBpoweramp and I ‘cleaned up’ the metadata of my existing HDX rips with SongKong.

All this has worked really well and I am very pleased indeed with the change which has brought a useful increase in SQ and utility to the system. I’m very much enjoying Qobuz and I suspect much of my listening will be using this instead of rips.

Many thanks to Alastair at Signals who made the process a joy and of course to the forum members who gave their sage advice.

Best,

John

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.